Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

City: Oriental
Vessel Name: Delphina
Vessel Model: President 43
Bottom

I am looking at a 1980 Albin 36 that has been in the water for 6 years ... the broker has stated that he has had a diver go and change the zincs when needed ,,, what can I expect when I haul it out ..
Kevin G
KEVMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410285748.143801.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	32719
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #3

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Saltwater or fresh? Warm water or cold? Did the diver do the bottom at the same time? Did it ever get hauled for bottom paint? Lot's of variables but after a good pressure wash you'll see if there is any damage under the sealife.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Have a call into the broker will let you know when I find out the info you have requested
Kevin G
Old 09-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
You could have this....but mine was worse than average because of the PO and lack of care.

It sat in a very warm canal near Ft Lauderdale it's whole life before me...
Attached Thumbnails
Photo216.jpg   Photo333.jpg   Photo337.jpg   Photo338 (1).jpg   Photo343.jpg  

Photo336.jpg  
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophyge View Post
Saltwater or fresh? Warm water or cold? Did the diver do the bottom at the same time? Did it ever get hauled for bottom paint? Lot's of variables but after a good pressure wash you'll see if there is any damage under the sealife.
What he said. You need more information.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

As per the broker boat was bought in Annapolis 6-7. Years ago and brought to nc was in brackish water .. Diver did clean bottom .. Bottom painted 6-7 years ago ....
Kevin g
Old 09-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #8

City: Carrollton, Va
Can you get them to pull it first? I'd be worried about the growth in and on the intakes.
SaltyDawg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
In addition to other recommendations, when it was pulled, I would have several areas throughout the bottom ground down to the fiberglass and have moisture readings taken. Then proceed after finding out that info.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Also consider price. If there's not much meat on the bone ya can't expect too many hoops to be jumped through. However if it's priced comparable with similar boats you're in a better position to be more demanding. Expect the worst and hope for the best is my basic logic, call it healthy skepticism. Good luck on your quest.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 AM   #11

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Read "Survey 101" and hire a competent surveyor to tell you everything that's wrong, should be changed/fixed/replaced or whatever. Get the engines surveyed and the oil analyzed. When you go on the sea trial make sure the two surveyors are on board. Could be a gem needing TLC or something like Psneeld got. It's all priced accordingly, based on how much work you can and want to do.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 AM   #12

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Adelaide
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVMAR View Post
I am looking at a 1980 Albin 36 that has been in the water for 6 years ... the broker has stated that he has had a diver go and change the zincs when needed ,,, what can I expect when I haul it out ..
Kevin G

Probably exactly how the visible hull looks from the dock. I'm in cool brackish water myself and the bottom paint was last applied in 2008..... After pulling the boat out in July, we realized that the paint was still very good, just what our diver said. $1,000 dollars later, the boat is back in the water with a fresh coat of paint. I'll listen to my diver from here on out with regards to bottom maintenance.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Nobody here can tell you what you will find when the boat is pulled. It's only a guess. As in post #11, find your own (don't ask the broker) qualified surveyor and have the boat surveyed bot in and out of the water.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Nobody here can tell you what you will find when the boat is pulled. It's only a guess. As in post #11, find your own (don't ask the broker) qualified surveyor and have the boat surveyed bot in and out of the water.
There is also a surveyor cannot determine as well. A boat that has been sitting in the water for six years need a thorough investigation that goes well beyond what the normal survey includes.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill29130 View Post
There is also a surveyor cannot determine as well. A boat that has been sitting in the water for six years need a thorough investigation that goes well beyond what the normal survey includes.
That's what I found out...but in all fairness...surveyors can't do what it takes to find hydrolysis and deep delamination.

Only coring can really do that....or in my case the simple minded..."hey, while it out of the water I'll grind off the bottom and put on a barrier coat...and not stop grinding till the water stops oozing out." Grinding went way deeper than anyone could imagine.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #16

Bottom

Psneeld,

Good lord! You're implying that because a boat hasn't been bottom painted in 6 years, it's going to come out like your complete disaster? 2 issues, he isn't talking about a Taiwan trawler such as ours.... He's talking about an Albin. Some were made in Taiwan, yes but under strict controls by Albin management. Second, bottom paint has nothing to do with the problem you experienced with your hull. Your pictures are horrible, but apply those pictures to appropriate threads. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Psneeld,

Good lord! You're implying that because a boat hasn't been bottom painted in 6 years, it's going to come out like your complete disaster? 2 issues, he isn't talking about a Taiwan trawler such as ours.... He's talking about an Albin. Some were made in Taiwan, yes but under strict controls by Albin management. Second, bottom paint has nothing to do with the problem you experienced with your hull. Your pictures are horrible, but apply those pictures to appropriate threads. Thanks.

I thought Scott has a Albin?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

If he does, my bad. It still has nothing to do with bottom paint.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #19

Kevin,

If you are just curious about the bottom, paint, anodes and intakes, just hire a reputable diver to give you an opinion. Perhaps the Broker and you can split the cost and he gets a written report for the next buyer who comes along.

I agree with Adelaide, I am coming to trust my diver more and more. He is quite a bit less expensive than hiring a surveyor and getting a haul out. If you like what he says, you can take the next step.
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
Psneeld,

Easy on Taiwan, Uniflight, Valiant USA made are the kings of blisters. I know a guy that peels bottoms (boats) said every Hatteras he ever touched was saturated. I think bottom maintance, of course barrier coating with quality epoxy and bottom painting along with keeping the barnacles off is the key. I have a Mainship 34 MK 1. To my knowledge, never had a blister. Was a northern boat before a FL boat, always maintained. Other Mainships have had blisters.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote