Bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KEVMAR

Vessel Name
Delphina
Vessel Make
President 43
I am looking at a 1980 Albin 36 that has been in the water for 6 years ... the broker has stated that he has had a diver go and change the zincs when needed ,,, what can I expect when I haul it out ..
Kevin G

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1410285748.143801.jpg

Saltwater or fresh? Warm water or cold? Did the diver do the bottom at the same time? Did it ever get hauled for bottom paint? Lot's of variables but after a good pressure wash you'll see if there is any damage under the sealife.

Have a call into the broker will let you know when I find out the info you have requested
Kevin G

You could have this....but mine was worse than average because of the PO and lack of care.

It sat in a very warm canal near Ft Lauderdale it's whole life before me...

Attachments

• Photo216.jpg
    Photo216.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Photo333.jpg
    Photo333.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 138
  • Photo337.jpg
    Photo337.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Photo338 (1).jpg
    Photo338 (1).jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Photo343.jpg
    Photo343.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Photo336.jpg
    Photo336.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 147
Saltwater or fresh? Warm water or cold? Did the diver do the bottom at the same time? Did it ever get hauled for bottom paint? Lot's of variables but after a good pressure wash you'll see if there is any damage under the sealife.

What he said. You need more information.

As per the broker boat was bought in Annapolis 6-7. Years ago and brought to nc was in brackish water .. Diver did clean bottom .. Bottom painted 6-7 years ago ....
Kevin g

Can you get them to pull it first? I'd be worried about the growth in and on the intakes.

In addition to other recommendations, when it was pulled, I would have several areas throughout the bottom ground down to the fiberglass and have moisture readings taken. Then proceed after finding out that info.

Also consider price. If there's not much meat on the bone ya can't expect too many hoops to be jumped through. However if it's priced comparable with similar boats you're in a better position to be more demanding. Expect the worst and hope for the best is my basic logic, call it healthy skepticism. Good luck on your quest.

Read "Survey 101" and hire a competent surveyor to tell you everything that's wrong, should be changed/fixed/replaced or whatever. Get the engines surveyed and the oil analyzed. When you go on the sea trial make sure the two surveyors are on board. Could be a gem needing TLC or something like Psneeld got. It's all priced accordingly, based on how much work you can and want to do.

I am looking at a 1980 Albin 36 that has been in the water for 6 years ... the broker has stated that he has had a diver go and change the zincs when needed ,,, what can I expect when I haul it out ..
Kevin G

Probably exactly how the visible hull looks from the dock. I'm in cool brackish water myself and the bottom paint was last applied in 2008..... After pulling the boat out in July, we realized that the paint was still very good, just what our diver said. $1,000 dollars later, the boat is back in the water with a fresh coat of paint. I'll listen to my diver from here on out with regards to bottom maintenance.

Nobody here can tell you what you will find when the boat is pulled. It's only a guess. As in post #11, find your own (don't ask the broker) qualified surveyor and have the boat surveyed bot in and out of the water.

Nobody here can tell you what you will find when the boat is pulled. It's only a guess. As in post #11, find your own (don't ask the broker) qualified surveyor and have the boat surveyed bot in and out of the water.

There is also a surveyor cannot determine as well. A boat that has been sitting in the water for six years need a thorough investigation that goes well beyond what the normal survey includes.

There is also a surveyor cannot determine as well. A boat that has been sitting in the water for six years need a thorough investigation that goes well beyond what the normal survey includes.

That's what I found out...but in all fairness...surveyors can't do what it takes to find hydrolysis and deep delamination.

Only coring can really do that....or in my case the simple minded..."hey, while it out of the water I'll grind off the bottom and put on a barrier coat...and not stop grinding till the water stops oozing out." Grinding went way deeper than anyone could imagine.

Psneeld,

Good lord! You're implying that because a boat hasn't been bottom painted in 6 years, it's going to come out like your complete disaster? 2 issues, he isn't talking about a Taiwan trawler such as ours.... He's talking about an Albin. Some were made in Taiwan, yes but under strict controls by Albin management. Second, bottom paint has nothing to do with the problem you experienced with your hull. Your pictures are horrible, but apply those pictures to appropriate threads. Thanks.

Last edited:
Psneeld,

Good lord! You're implying that because a boat hasn't been bottom painted in 6 years, it's going to come out like your complete disaster? 2 issues, he isn't talking about a Taiwan trawler such as ours.... He's talking about an Albin. Some were made in Taiwan, yes but under strict controls by Albin management. Second, bottom paint has nothing to do with the problem you experienced with your hull. Your pictures are horrible, but apply those pictures to appropriate threads. Thanks.

I thought Scott has a Albin?

If he does, my bad. It still has nothing to do with bottom paint.

Kevin,

If you are just curious about the bottom, paint, anodes and intakes, just hire a reputable diver to give you an opinion. Perhaps the Broker and you can split the cost and he gets a written report for the next buyer who comes along.

I agree with Adelaide, I am coming to trust my diver more and more. He is quite a bit less expensive than hiring a surveyor and getting a haul out. If you like what he says, you can take the next step.

Psneeld,

Easy on Taiwan, Uniflight, Valiant USA made are the kings of blisters. I know a guy that peels bottoms (boats:D) said every Hatteras he ever touched was saturated. I think bottom maintance, of course barrier coating with quality epoxy and bottom painting along with keeping the barnacles off is the key. I have a Mainship 34 MK 1. To my knowledge, never had a blister. Was a northern boat before a FL boat, always maintained. Other Mainships have had blisters.

Yes I do have an Albin and I was just answering post one...I didn't see where a limitation as to what could be expected was limited by the OP.

And no where did I imply that lack of bottom pint causes hydrolyzing...although there are some interesting theories of paint versus epoxy.

Wow....people don't like what I post and now I'm being told when and where to post. Ain't it grand....:D

Last edited:
Wow....people don't like what I post and now I'm being told when and where to post. Ain't it grand....:D

I don't know what was funnier. That, or watching Albins go from not your average Taiwanese boat, to your average Taiwanese boat in just a couple of posts.

:rofl:

Like to keep it interesting/funny anyway I can....:D

Yes I do have an Albin and I was just answering post one...I didn't see where a limitation as to what could be expected was limited by the OP.

And no where did I imply that lack of bottom pint causes hydrolyzing...although there are some interesting theories of paint versus epoxy.

I was sitting in JFK airport with nothing to do for 4 hours on 9-11, I took it out on you....I know you like those pictures, post away brother!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom