Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We have a 110 Sport with a 25 hp Merc 4 stroke. I find it has great utility and the later model hull designs have improved the ride significantly. I also added small Lenco trim tabs which helps get her up on plane quickly and keeps the bow down. After years of tube boats I gave up on the cleaning and maintenance of the tubes.

Whalers get passed down from parents to kids and grandkids. Can't say that about RIBS as they won't last for generations.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So the boat will plane decently. Not for top end.
Positive proof the're too heavy.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:40 PM   #23
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariog View Post
Oh and while on the subject of the new whaler, although the 40hp merc 4 stroke is a good engine and adequate for this boat, I would prefer it had just a bit more HP. Perhaps 50 or 60 HP would be perfect.
I don't know about your Whaler, but mine has that same engine and jumps up on plane quickly with two people,12 gallons of fuel and a full cooler on board. I couldn't be happier with the boat and engine combination.

Just sayin'
Old 09-28-2016, 07:50 PM   #24

City: miami
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I don't know about your Whaler, but mine has that same engine and jumps up on plane quickly with two people,12 gallons of fuel and a full cooler on board. I couldn't be happier with the boat and engine combination.

Just sayin'
Correct. It does everything you say. I just feel that the 40 is just a bit too small. Perhaps a little extra speed would be nice. That's all. It does a good job though.
mariog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #25

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We came very close to buying a BW 13, but decided on a 15 for several reasons. The 13 doesn't have a bilge pump, which was a deal killer for me. Also, the wheel is so low that it's difficult to stand up and drive, which I prefer to do. Our 15 has a center console, much better ride than the 13, storage in the console and better fuel capacity. Plus, it wasn't that much more expensive.

We love it, and now our only regret is that we didn't get a 17. But, that's the way it always is, huh?

Paul
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Whalers have a cult like following, especially in New England. Everybody who was a water rat had one or had a friend with one. Awesome boats for kids to play with, they can climb aboard easily after swimming, beaching etc.
As a real tender . I pretty much think they suck. I have had 2 17' and been on many more. Kidney pounders to the max. unsinkable, yes but suicide may be contemplated after a ride of any distance in a chop. I have used the larger ones in the CG and they were good for the mission, but as an all around boat/tender give me something else.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post

Just sayin'
What about with 4 people? or more?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:03 PM   #28
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We're on our 2nd 13' Whaler, and wouldn't think about going back to a RIB.

The 2015 we currently have does have a superior ride to the 1967 classic we sold- weight is a huge factor. The '67 with a 4 stroke Nissan short shaft weighted around 600 lbs, while the 2015 with a 40hp Mercury long shaft is closer to 900 lbs. The 2015 has higher gunnels, which makes the wife happy.

2 weeks ago, we took it from Seattle to Port Townsend for the Wooden Boar Festival- about 70 miles round trip- with no problems or worry.
Peter, was that you we briefly met at the central dock in P.T. just as you were leaving south back to Seattle? We were in the 2009 13' Sport and we exchanged pleasantries.....I assumed you and your friend must have been on drugs to do that trip
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 AM   #29
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What about with 4 people? or more?
That's an interesting question. The only time we've had four in it, the total PEOPLE weight was close to 900 pounds, plus the fuel, coolers, etc. That was waaaaay over the weight limit but we were only going a short distance on a calm day.

I have had 3 adults in it and it got up on plane, albeit a bit slower than with just the two of us. BTW, with the two of us the PEOPLE weight is over 350 pounds, but don't tell my Admiral I said that.

For those who wonder what the old hull rides like, here's a video I shot on our first outing with the Whaler on Lake Pleasant, AZ. It's not a big chop but it gives you an idea of how it rides.

https://youtu.be/Ih5IKbk8r9Q
Old 09-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio
Vessel Name: Betsy Lee
Vessel Model: 37 Atlantic Double Cabin
We just got our 13' Whaler and are looking forward to see how it tows. We wanted the extra space vs. a RIB as others have stated. We also went with the older sport/GLS with the flatter hull since it had the extra bench seating vs. the 2000 and later models with a the newer v-hull. We have the 40hp so can occasionally pull the kids on a tube.

KneeDeep is offline   Reply With Quote