Booms on the older trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Good afternoon
Still shopping for my trawler. I am holding out for a 38 aft cabin Californian.
While on my travels around the marinas I couldn't help but wonder how many use the booms on their trawlers. What are their main purpose? Do they actually lift a fair amount of weight?
thanks in advance
Jim

Put dinghies overboard.

Ted

I keep two boats in the boat deck. Boom for launching. Mast also gets my radar antenna to a decent altitude

Attachments

• DSCF0089-2.JPG
    DSCF0089-2.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 177
Use mine often for launching or retrieving the dinghy.

We use ours to lift the dink on and off the mid deck, bicycles on and off as well. The PO lost the original wooden mast and boom overboard. Looked hard to find a set, anywhere for any cost... none to be had. We bit the bullet and had our favorite boat fabricators make a new mast and boom to my specifications. Wouldn't be without it. A Trawler isn't a trawler without it. :)

Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 165
Love those old Rawsons... I don't think many were made as yachts? I have seen several fishboat conversions that looked nice.

Yeah. It was truly love at first sight. Wife and daughter went to college seminar, left me alone in Tacoma for three hours...

I had seen many Rawson workboats in Bristol Bay and Homer, knew quality. they built few motor yachts, I've seen a couple 38s; mine is a 41--bigger aft cabin and cockpit. They also built a significant number of sloops; a tubby little 30-footer which has a rabid fangroup.

Last edited:
We use ours to lift the dink on and off the mid deck, bicycles on and off as well. The PO lost the original wooden mast and boom overboard. Looked hard to find a set, anywhere for any cost... none to be had. We bit the bullet and had our favorite boat fabricators make a new mast and boom to my specifications. Wouldn't be without it. A Trawler isn't a trawler without it. :)

Dave

:thumb:

Good afternoon
While on my travels around the marinas I couldn't help but wonder how many use the booms on their trawlers. What are their main purpose? Do they actually lift a fair amount of weight?
thanks in advance
Jim

That mast/boom seems to be set up for a steady sail and lifting the RIB for launching and retrieving.

Dave

DAVE E
I noticed your mast does not have the standing rigging going forward to support it and counter the boom forces. Does your mast support hauling the dunk etc without leaning.

The reason I ask is, I too would like to add the boom to the replacement mast the PO installed. I was thinks of an eye and maybe a small recycled sailboat boom or spinnaker pole. My dink and motor weigh maybe #150 max but I have davits anyway. Would be used for hauling outboards,kayaks, and maybe a stay sail.

I was debating whether or not I needed to add the standing rigging forward to counter the forces of the boom.

Thanks for any input

Chris

Attachments

• DDB912BF-6413-4991-BD8A-156FCF6CB237.jpeg
    DDB912BF-6413-4991-BD8A-156FCF6CB237.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Looks to me like Dave E's mast has 2 shrouds going forward....

And yes to adding them if you don't have them and your lifting crane was designed as a stand alone mechanism.

My boom is in the garage at home. A previous owner used it when he carried a dinghy on a cradle on deck. Later he installed transom davits which I still use. I fitted an SS backstay to support the mast when I took the boom off.

I found it was easier to just manhandle the dinghy aboard than dicking with the mast and boom. Perhaps if I had the outboard on it I would have used it.

It looks nice. It ain’t a trawler without the mast and boom.

After experiencing a few close calls while trying to off-load the dinghy in less than perfect weather, then witnessing another guy breaking his boom pivot knuckle while bringing his RIB aboard, I removed the mast/boom in favor of a pipe crane. Now even the Admiral can bring the dinghy and outboard up on deck with no stress, and I can fit under more than half the ICW bridges with no extra prep.

Last edited:
Booms on trawlers

Forget the boom and if you are looking for a trawler focus on a sundeck.

You avoid hitting your head on the boom and get an extra room.

Use davits top launch the dinghy.

I agree with Nepidae, forget the boom and get some davits. We just sold our 38 Californian after completing the Loop and having to go back to work. I had a 4' swim platform and Weaver davits for the dinghy. Could drop the dinghy and get underway in just a few minutes. Easy for securing the dingy while boarding/deboarding too, just clip the davits and they held everything tight to the swim platform. Especially helpful when the wind was kicking up and/or there was any chop in the anchorage.

Mast & Boom

Good afternoon
thanks in advance
Jim

The original purpose was to use/fly a steadying sail, especially on round bilge trawlers. This was to keep the vessel from rocking back and forth. The use for dropping dinghies and other equipment over the side came later.

Last edited:
Steady sail and radar mast is all I use it for. I have davits on the back for a dingy.
Have to admit, at the moment the mast and boom have been removed to easily fit it in its covered slip. Don't really miss it either way other then the loss of my radar.

Last edited:
PO of ours had the mast shortened to 18' and got rid of the boom. Replaced by a Jackson pipe davit/crane. My only complaint is the "look". I would like to have davits off the stern to open up the space occupied by the dinghy but I think there is something about documented boats not having the name/hail blocked by anything on the transom so it can be read? Something picky like that. Have no idea of the reality of being arrested and thrown in jail by a dinghy blocking the boat name. Would also like the boom back actually. No idea of cost, several thousand I am sure.

If you have a way to raise the steady sail, the lower part of the sail can be a "loose foot", not requiring any more than attachment to the lower part of the mast and then, stretch out the sail and tie it off on the upper deck railing. It may not be the best but, if you eliminate the boom and want a steady sail, this will "do".

I have sunbrella around the railing on the upper deck with the intent to reduce the rolling a little bit.

I always thought the purpose of the mast and boom were to raise the open bar flag and dry the laundry, you mean there are other purposes?

For flying your courtesy flag.

Attachments

• P1000292.jpg
    P1000292.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 43
Boom

JClay, I have 46' GB Classic....took the boom off. It has uses (mostly for lifting 8D batteries...lol. I have a davit with which I load and off load a 12 dinghy. Boom was in the way.

Booms aren't always necessary for steadying sails.

Attachments

• IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom