Boom Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you Marin.

I have had the opportunity to watch close at hand some of these operations and it is fascinating. A friends [he was a logger and log truck driver] brother owns a small logging show in Clio Channel, near Minstrel. It's nowhere near the size of the operation at Beaver Cove.

We were lucky enough to stay with them for 5 days. Watched the truck loading/unloading, the bundling, the bundles sliding down the skids and setting the house barge rocking and rolling.

The sidewinder then pushed the bundle out to the storage area and pushed the logs from a broken bundle or two back to shore so the logs could be picked up for rebundling.

When we arrived the sidewinder was used to open a channel for us to get our boats to the barge. Once we were in there was no out untill the tug showed up.

One day we watched the boom being put together for towing to market. We awoke at 05:00 and the tug was waiting for us lazy folk to get moving. They had come in in the dark, tied up and had coffee while waiting for us.
The tug and sidewinder assembled the tow and off went the tug.

The whole setup was fascinating.

I used to see these boats assembling flat rafts all over my cruising area. Now, as you point out, the sorting and bundling is almost always done on land and the winders simply push/tow the bundles into storage.

I've seen the Dozer boats moving rafts of logs to storage areas untill the larger tugs arrive with their orders.

Tad,

thank you also as I did not know the difference between a Sidewinder and a Dozer boat even though I'd heard the terms many times. Makes sense, that terrific manouverability comes at a cost on tracking manouvers.

Back
Top Bottom