Bob Smith's Recommended On-Board Tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
Although I do not endorse nor refute the following list there was a certain amount of interest in it a while back. I finally remembered to bring it off the boat and here it is "word for word".

This is an old list, note "Bob Smith" not Brian. The P.O. attended one of Bob's diesel seminars and left the info on the boat.

1. Plastic or fiberglass tool box with removable tray for often used tools.
2. Wrench set-Full set of open end box combinations (5/16-1")
3. Open end wrenches- 3/8 X 7/16, 1/2 X 9/16 X 11 /16
4. Socket Set, Recommend a set with both 1/2 inch and 3/8 drive
5. Socket set, 1/2 inch drive with ratchet, breaker bar and extensions for H.D.
work.
6. Screw driver set. Buy the best you can, no cheapie, both straight and phillips
7. Wiring set, Strong crimper and wire stripper, two separate tools. Electrical
tape.
8. Channel Lock pliers, usually come in a set of three.
9. Crescent Wrench Set- Buy good ones, a set of three. An 18" one is good to
have.
10. Pliers set, Sears makes a set of three, round nose, dykes and standard.
11. Chain pliers, made by vice grip. This tool is a MUST HAVE!!
12. Hammers, one small and a medium machinist hammer. One carpenters
hammer.
13. Rubber mallet or a good soft hammer.
14. Pipe wrench. One 14 ' size should do well.
15. Electric Drill, Makita is great for drilling and driving screws.
16. Drop Light. Plastic cover only florescent is nice but a 12 volt recoiling is best
17. Feeler gage set for adjusting valves and shaft alignment.
18. Permatex #2, one small tube.
19. Teflon tape sealer-not teflon tape! to seal pipe threads.
20. Oil filter wrench.
21. Small and medium funnels
22. Par hand oil change pump, work good with a drain hose on the pan. Electric
is better but $$$
23. Chisel and punch set. has center, drift and metal cutting chisel.
24. Electrical tester, volts, ohms and continuity.
25. Wrecking bar. Good for prying and lifting.
26. Hack saws. Both normal type and a blade on a handle with a variety of spare
blades.
27. Allen wrench sets. Both inch size and metric. Always buy the best of these!
28. Awl.
29. Torque wrench, simple type for up to 150 ft/lb.
30. Jumper cables, heavy duty set.
31. Test wire ten foot long 12 gage wire with booted alligator clips at the ends.

For Ford Lehman Diesels:
A. 13 mm Deep socket for 3/8 drive to adjust idle.
B. 10 inch long 3/8 extension.
C. 13 mm combination box wrench to bleed secondary filters on the SP-Series.
D. Touch up paint- Rustolem "Regal Red"

Note: The above list is written for Ford Diesels, which are not metric in origin. If your boat is powered by a metric sized engine you should make appropriate adjustment to the reccomended wrench and socket sets. Don't forget that your gen set might be different so two sizes may be needed.

(END OF ORIGINAL BOB SMITH LIST)

There you have it folks. Sorry for any typos or spelling errors. I hope Brian does not mind me quoting his dad.

If anyone has been following my engine plight. It is back in the boat and we took a 50 mile ride ending yesterday. I will compile all my info, including a couple pictures of the process and a complete price breakdown and do a post later. The cost was "brutal".

pete

Thanks for posting!

Thanks Pete! Perfect timing for me and my twin FL 120's.

That's a nice starting list. Maybe they weren't around in Bob's day, but I found the stubby GearWrenches to be the MVP's of the tool box. I very rarely used the traditional and very complete ratchet set I had. http://www.gearwrench.com/gearwrenc...ratcheting-combination-metric-wrench-set.html

I could add a lot more to that list, but I believe there are numerous threads in the archives on the subject. A big determining factor is how much of the work you are bale or willing to do yourself. And of course there are a lot more things on a boat that break or need maintaining than the engines.

Retractable Utility knife
Can of PB Blaster or Kroil
Propane torch
Box of nitrile gloves
Set of nylon/steel/brass cleaning brushes
Q-tips
Set of picks/probes
Packing removal tool (corkscrew style)
LED headlamp & LED flashlights
Lithium drill and sets of wood and metal bits

I use 3/8 socket for just about everything.
Screwdrivers are probably most frequently used tools for me

I posted Bob’s list a couple of weeks ago. His list was not intended as a comprehensive list of boat tools, just a list of needed tools for maintaining Lehmans.

Chain pliers are used for things like oil filters, fuel filters and various large or odd ball items (such as radiator/ heat exchanger caps) that can be prone to seize somewhat on boats. Very very handy. Has nothing to do with chain steering...

Chain pliers are used for things like oil filters, fuel filters and various large or odd ball items (such as radiator/ heat exchanger caps) that can be prone to seize somewhat on boats. Very very handy. Has nothing to do with chain steering...

I know what they are and what they CAN be used for, I just see the MUST HAVE part of it.

All of the above can be accomplished in other various ways just as efficiently.
And I don't want to "argue" about methods, just trying to understand the MUST part of Bob's list.
Maybe it was just him being "Bob". did meet him a few times and he was pretty set in his ways. Make that very set in his ways.

I know what they are and what they CAN be used for, I just see the MUST HAVE part of it.

All of the above can be accomplished in other various ways just as efficiently.
And I don't want to "argue" about methods, just trying to understand the MUST part of Bob's list.
Maybe it was just him being "Bob". did meet him a few times and he was pretty set in his ways. Make that very set in his ways.

Me, never having seen Bob's list until today, I just found the chain solution much more effective and easy than strap wrenches and various plier form factors. Since we were cruising full time, I was doing a lot of filter changes for one thing. As with any number of other tools, it's a whatever-works-best-for-you type of thing. Obviously Bob felt strongly about it. Probably like my opinion on the stubby GearWrenches. I'd add ratcheting interchangeable bit screw drivers to that too.

# 3 needs the other end of the 11/16 wrench. 5/8 or 13/16?
Personally, any boat needs a simple 3/8 drive set of metric sockets plus a set of deep sockets.
I would add as a minimum for any diesel inboard boat:
- tubing wrench to fit injector nuts; main and gen
- High leverage diagonal cutters
- Standard Vice Grips
- wrench for the prop nuts
- at least one more jumper lead
- Offset screwdriver; flat and phillips
- a least one smooth flat file, one half round, and a rat-tail.

I made the original post, thanks for the interest. Like I stated, I neither agree or disagree with Bob's list. There was some interest in it so I posted it without comments. I certainly could add to it, especially Black Duct tape, WD-40, a set of spare hose clamps, pick set... I guess the list could go on and on. In fact my toolbox weighs over 100 pounds. Bob's probably weighs half that, or less.

I guess you would call Bob's list a "starting point"

pete

Left out some of the major absolute necessities - tig welder, lathe, milling machine, bench grinder, drill press, oxy-acetylene torch, chain hoist.....

This list is completely inaccurate

What tool box does not have duct tape and zip ties :rofl:

LOL! On a serious note, every toolbox SHOULD have Rescue Tape.

I looked at everything in my engine room that I might ever need to take apart, and tried to make sure I had the right tool for the job. I ended up needing to buy a couple of pretty big comination wrenches for a few nuts (19 - 22mm). Even with that exercise, I still missed the 2" combination wrench needed for the big brass elbows that connect the bilge pump hoses to the sea chest. Later, I needed to buy a really deep (5") 7/8 socket to remove the control valves on my hydraulic crane. I've owned the boat for 3 1/2 years now - so I probably still need another tool or two to cover the "every fastener" concept.

The two most often used tools for me are the Stanley ratching screwdriver with the selectable tip, and the multi-meter.

MUST HAVE?

Did he say why?

I haven't run across a need for them.

Thanks.

If I recall correctly (I took his course twice, 2012 and 2013), it’s so you can lock the shaft from turning when towed.

Jim

Add electrical connectors crimpers extra wire #10 thru #18

And add an extendable magnet thingee. Great for sockets that migrate dead center under the engine.

I’m glad to say that the previous owner of my boat left it complete with all necessary tools and spares...just about everything listed in his thread...I tried over the past decade to reduce what was in the holds to create more room. Eventually everything I took out migrated back to the boat. It was all there for a reason. The only thing I would add is a bent 1/2 inch wrench...incredible tool !

I carry enough tools and spares to be able to repair anything that can break or quit during our 2 to 3 month summer cruise to areas with no repair facilities.

A complete Craftsmen tool set with 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" socket sets and combination wrenches in metric and SAE. Also a set of Craftsmen large sockets and combos, torque wrenches, breaker bars, hex and torex drivers etc.

Electrical and plumbing tools, measuring, woodworking etc.

Cordless driver and drill, corded angle grinder, jig saw and a 1/2" drill

Injector remover, prop puller, C clamps, vice, portable electric winch

Battery cable crimper, nicro press crimper, bolt cutters, sewing machine, snap and grommet tools

And a bunch of other tools, too many to remember.

Good list and good comments.

On the 10ft electrical test wire with alligator clips, I put an automotive blade fuse in each of mine in case I cross my plus and minus.

Good list and good comments.

On the 10ft electrical test wire with alligator clips, I put an automotive blade fuse in each of mine in case I cross my plus and minus.

That's really brilliant! I'm borrowing this idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom