Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #21
City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
After deploying fenders, I tell my crew that it is my job to get the boat to or off the dock. If spring lines are to be manned, I will instruct them. Other than placing a line on a piling or cleat all hands and feet are to stay in the boat.

Don on Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express & Blackfin 25 CC
When cruising life is simpler, but on a grander scale (author unknown)
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Good Heavens! Unfortunate turn of events but very lucky more grievous harm did not occur. I wish your pops best luck in his index digit's return to usefulness. I have a damaged digit on left hand (3 decades ago, not a marine injury), luckily it is the least required digit for use and it performs 90% + of original scope. Sure hope your dad's index finger returns to 100%!

I will show this to my admiral. Although very attentive to my directions aboard boat she at times feels too responsible for personally protecting our Tolly, which she loves. At times she needs to be sternly spoken to for keeping her away from danger points and harms way when winds/currents may get me in a pit of a pickle. She too often seems not to understand the ramifications of the situation when a 10 ton floating object has momentum to strike an immovable item such as a pylon... or nearly immovable object such as another 10 ton craft... that might even be moving its heft toward us.

Sticks and stones can break my bones, words can never hurt me... but... as has been mentioned on this thread - boats can gravely injure or even kill us if we do not well respect the forces they create.

Simple equation:

20K lb boat - 200 lb person = 100 X weight difference. Multiply that by speed-to-weight ratio the 20K lb boat may be moving and we can begin to see that hands, feet and other human parts need to steer completely clear!

Thanks for posting this wake up call. And thank your dad for the picture, he looks like a champ!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote