Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM   #41
Guru

Beware of VOLVOs...run from them as you would the plague. Good engines but replacement parts, if you can find them, cost triple those of Cummins or Cats.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: Privateer
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Beware of VOLVOs...run from them as you would the plague. Good engines but replacement parts, if you can find them, cost triple those of Cummins or Cats.

So here is my 2 cents worth:

Boats in prefect Bristol condition sell for less than they are worth and beat up boats sell for more than they are worth.
Nobody wants to buy a boat priced “ above market” because that just isn’t a good deal. Or is Italy’s?
And speaking for myself, no matter how many boats I buy, “ with a little work to be done” the time, effort and money always seems to expand from my original estimate, or double my estimate, or... you get the idea.
Maybe you can find a distress sale boat and get a great deal, but leave those deals to the really experienced folks.
So unless you are a skilled do it your self type, with plenty of time and money, and you really enjoy the work, buy something that was built well to begin with, and maintained well throughout its life.
The less you know about boats, the more important it is to find a knowledgeable broker that you can trust. And then buy a boat with a reputation for quality. The purchase price is only one element of the total cost of ownership for the ten years you keep it. Ten years of expensive repairs, followed by selling at a much depreciated price will make you think twice the next time about buying a well built and well maintained boat to begin with.
So maybe your question to the forum should be, “ I want to do this with my boat, and go here and there, and I have this much money... what are the best boats out there for this set of criteria?

Best wishes

SailorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
RArmstrong,

Another source for info is the AGLCA. Americas Great Loop Cruisers Association. They have much discussion about the Loop and also cruising over to the Bahamas. Each year they have 2 meetings along the route. The fall one is around October and at Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama. In addition to seminars etc on the Loop they also have the Looper Crawl. The people Looping open up their boats for future loopers to crawl through, ask questions and get an idea of what may work for them. Some of the boats will be for sale when the current owners complete the Loop. Being from AR it might be work the trip over to Bama to see the options out there. A small boat show if you will.

Good Luck,

Keith
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 PM   #44
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
And if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #45
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
You need to find a Boat Nut to buy a boat from. I am always looking for things to fix or improve on my boat. Usually after I get them all fixed up I sell them because I get bored and have nothing left to do on the boat. Right now my back is messed up and I can’t work on my boat and I am slowly going nuts. So I have been spending the last week buying steel, hardware, a trolley, chain fall and miscellaneous items needed to pull out my port engine so I can proactively replace my port fuel tank. It doesn’t leak yet but it is 32 years old and will leak sooner or later. I guess that is why we are on our 23rd boat. But this one may be the last one since our yard can’t haul anything larger and I am starting to be less able to do the heavy work. So this boat will be the one to buy when I am gone. It will probably be so full of stuff that you won’t be able to move but I will have had fun equipping it. Good luck in your search.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM   #46

City: Richmond, Ca
Vessel Name: Iris
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Stay away from the Cummins VT-555. AKA the “cripple-nickel.”
Capn_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #47
Veteran Member

City: Mena, AR
Tell me about that Cummins. I have been driving the same 1999 Dodge Turbo- Diesel for 12+ years. Are their marine engines troublesome?
RArmstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:52 PM   #48
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
The 555 Cummins is an older engine. It is hard to get parts for. Otherwise the newer Cummins engines are very good. I have a 6BT in our motorhome and it is great.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #49
Veteran Member

City: Detroit
Why? Does the boat dive too much? Poor handling? A little explanation is very helpful. This a great thread. First time buyers like me are probably glued to their screens. Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Avoid boats that are extremely pointed in the bow but wide and fairly flat aft.

And if said boat has small rudders.....
moparharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Like this one? My father in law did not like me considering this boat. He said the bow did not have enough volume.
Boat for sale - Lepage Craft 41 RAISED PILOTHOUSE Scaled down RPH 49 Defever - 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Avoid boats that are extremely pointed in the bow but wide and fairly flat aft.

And if said boat has small rudders.....
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM   #51
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RArmstrong View Post
Not wanting to bash anybody's personal vessel, but I know of cars and motorcycles I hear people tell other people they may want to avoid. Are there any Trawlers out there that are just plain not a good idea to buy? If not boats, how about certain engines? I am just hoping to avoid expensive mistakes! thanks for any input you may have.

I don't know how I missed this.

The answer is, all of them. Build your own from scratch like a few of us have done/are doing.

Avoid the ones that are slowly sinking.

Sorry. I feel I have to be the comedic relief some nights.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:19 PM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
Like this one? My father in law did not like me considering this boat. He said the bow did not have enough volume.
Boat for sale - Lepage Craft 41 RAISED PILOTHOUSE Scaled down RPH 49 Defever - 41'
Not sure about that, maybe FIL is expert in the area. Never heard of the brand, but it looks a lot of boat for $ to me, esp if they are Cummins 6BT engines. Teak decks replaced with fiberglass too. And timber window frames still in timber, not painted.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:21 PM   #53
Veteran Member

City: Mena, AR
I had a little boat, 24 ft that I loved, but she just wasn't "enough" boat. I'm really thinking more like 36 ft this time.
RArmstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Two simple rules

1. The most expensive boat is the one with the lowest asking price for it’s model

2. The cheapest boat is often the boat with the highest asking price for it’s model
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:45 AM   #55
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RArmstrong View Post
Tell me about that Cummins. I have been driving the same 1999 Dodge Turbo- Diesel for 12+ years. Are their marine engines troublesome?
The engine is a 6BT 220 HP. They have a great reputation as marine engines. They are also offered as 6BTA (after cooled). Those also have a good reputation with substantially more horse power. The current version of the same block is the QSB. Had a 6BT 210 HP in my charter boat that was flawless. Only changed as I needed more HP.

My 17 year old Dodge has the 6BT 220 HP with 475,000 miles on it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:47 AM   #56
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Personally I would give boats labelled Fleming or Marlow a pass unless you are not averse to writing checks with 7 digits to the left of the decimal or need a place to hang your NYYC burgee.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Marinette, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Wow, what an interesting thread !! I think it has all been said but I would re-add.. Don't buy a stern drive in a larger, heavier boat. They just don't hold up.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #58
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparharn View Post
The shape of the bow looks a lot like a Marine Trader hull. Lots of flare, the sun shadows emphasize in the pictures.

My boat has similar shadows in the right sun. The flare keeps the windows free of green water, and I get way less spray than more vertical bows or more full forward hulls. Check out Grand Banks for a very wet ride in seas where this hull shape stays dry. I consider it an advantage. Definitely a good hull shape.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #59
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Two simple rules

1. The most expensive boat is the one with the lowest asking price for it’s model

2. The cheapest boat is often the boat with the highest asking price for it’s model
Having bought 10 boats since 1995, the above post has certainly been my experience. Also, loving the boat's looks, layout, etc. is really important. It really softens the blow of inevitable maintenance problems that will surface. And although I've never owned one, Volvos seem to pop up on this site as expensive to get parts for....
Old 08-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Ok, thank you for your input! My father in law felt that this boat lacked sufficient volume in the bow and would likely be a very active "diver" and would provide too much up and down action in the front of the boat in bigger seas. I am not sure how much that really bothers me to be honest. As long as the crew is not getting concerned, the boat is not getting terribly wet, and the props are not loosing purchase, well it is kind of an interesting feature. I would be more concerned about side to side action than fore and aft. Rolling tends to sicken those prone to sea sickness, diving not as much. Must have something to do with the inner ear I would guess.
Thanks again. Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
The shape of the bow looks a lot like a Marine Trader hull. Lots of flare, the sun shadows emphasize in the pictures.

My boat has similar shadows in the right sun. The flare keeps the windows free of green water, and I get way less spray than more vertical bows or more full forward hulls. Check out Grand Banks for a very wet ride in seas where this hull shape stays dry. I consider it an advantage. Definitely a good hull shape.