Boatless (Again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
Well I feel like we have been down this road before (many times before) now that we closed the deal on La Tempestad and find ourselves officially boat-less. This was another very quick sale (a couple of months being listed) and we had more people wanting to see the boat then we could accommodate. We actually have sellers remorse as we have to face reality and the time without a boat.

While we would like to build one more new boat the cost and time is a factor. If we go with a used boat we decided it has be less then 5 years old. This does limit our options especially when the first mate is leaning towards active fin stabilizers this time around. Another limiting factor we have to deal with.

Add in the "no boat is perfect" aspect of narrowing down the boat and we have a little ways to go.

We hope to make a decision New versus Used within the next month and will advise. Only good part of being between boats is that dreaming doesn't cost anything.

John T.

The 'dreaming' part is great John,,, enjoy that for a bit!

Last week the new owner of N3522 took the boat home and we checked out of the marina that has been home for us (off and on) for the past seven years. We have been busy researching our next boat combined with dealing with aging parent issues. This is one part of life that I knew would come some day, not be easy but we are dealing with it the best we can while also trying to keep living. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.

Next week Mary and I plan a trip up to Seattle to "look around" at a few boats see what she thinks about the different makes / models. While a forth Nordhavn is our primary focus we find it worth while to keep an open mind during the research phase of boat ownership. Looking back on our short experience with a smaller semi-displacement boat I can confirm that a smaller boat can be easier and more fun to own then a larger boat. Even though the N40 or N47 are not a mega yachts it does take more effort to operate. The N35 was much easier and fun to drive (we called it our little BMW on the water speeding along at 8 knots). It will be hard to return to six knots if we go FD again so we are again doing some serious sole searching on how we plan to use the next boat 90% of the time. Will keep everyone posted and hope some people can learn something from our process.

John

Back
Top Bottom