Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Larry, perhaps it would be worthwhile to talk to the judge. That law is idiocy, or at least incompatible with your boat. On that lake, you can only operate at idle-speed. Bad for your engine(s).
Judges don't make the laws, they impose penalties for those convicted of breaking the laws.

Whatever governing bodies that make the laws are the only ones who can change them.

Just so we don't get into an argument on this subject, laws that are deemed unconstitutional (in the USA) can be overturned by judges. A "No Wake" law is unlikely to be deemed unconstitutional.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What annoys me are the "No Wake" signs put up by individuals who have no authority to do so. Some have copied the official signs so you don't really know if yo are violating a real No Wake zone or just someone's make believe one. ...
Perhaps I should explain my statement a little better so all can understand:

A No Wake sign or zone placed by a private homeowner or group of homeowners is of course, not enforcable. The water police are unlikely to write a citation and even if they did, it would be invalidated in court.

The problem with these signs is, if they are good copies of the official signs (and you can buy the signs and bouys on line), the boater who is unfamiliar with the area will be inconvenienced by having to obey the signs, thinking that they are official signs or zones.

Overton's : Permafloat Marker Buoy - Anchor & Docking > Docks & Hardware > Floating Docks & Hardware :

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I'm not sure what my philosophy is on no wake buoys....

In NJ, it seems every moon tide shifts their position to all sorts of places...so knowing where a no-wake zone exists is really hard if you are on the water alot and know where they are supposed to be.

I've taken pics (if I ever have to appeal a violation) of no wake buoys in boat slips, on the inlet's breaking bar, 2-3 tangled together...you know...pics that would make anyone smile at their relevance.

Fortunately NJ requires the police info on the buoys so private ones are easy to spot. Plus the "written guidelines" for no wake are specific enough...they ususlly cover where buoys usually are anyway.

However asI join the annual snowbird migration...I am worried about the states that are a little to "bubba" infested.

I love the speed trap just south of Beaufort, SC....4 mile bullcrap no wake zone....$1025 fine or 30 days in jail...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
Guru

FWIW this is what I've decided to do about speed when no speed limit is posted.
If a smaller boat is approaching me in a channel and is going fast, I will not slow. If I'm passing a sailboat I'll attempt radio contact or sound my horn and ask him to slow down so I can give him a slow pass. More times than not I have to yell to get him to slow down. I slow for on-coming sailboats and other boats that are going slow in a channel.

If a boat is anchored on the side of a marked channel whose speed is not regulated, I'll slow if it's obvious my wake will cause him distress. I have to slow to nearly idle to effectively reduce my wake. At 7 kts I'm starting to plow and my wake is bigger than if I were on plane.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #45
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Laker View Post
We live on a 7 mile long lake that winds out through a river into Lake Michigan. Boats over 26ft are required to be no wake on the lake. This results in the most inconsistent and stupid behavior.

I got pulled over by the sheriff today (weekday so no one else on the lake) and he said my wake was too big. I said "I was following you and your wake was bigger than mine." He said "yes, but your are over 26ft and therefore it is illegal for you!"

Go figure
Did you actually get fined, or just "pulled over" and cautioned?
You might get some sympathy from a Court, certainly ought to. Even though the law in this situation sounds silly,you are still in breach(it`s no excuse at law if running engines too slow is bad);and a Court might well say "it`s you on trial,not the sheriff". Sounds to me like the law needs changing, but it might also be saving you from the idiots on the water when the Lake is busier in season. BruceK.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #46
Guru

On the AICW south of the Savannah River is a No Wake zone for larger boats (I don't remember exactly, perhaps > 20'). It seems strange and it seems unfair, but it's the law so I slowed down.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #47
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
On the AICW south of the Savannah River is a No Wake zone for larger boats (I don't remember exactly, perhaps > 20'). It seems strange and it seems unfair, but it's the law so I slowed down.
Ron would that be as you go by Skidaway Island? Could be that a politician has a home on the water there. It is starting to make perfect sense. No big wakes, and he can use his runabout to zip up to the Savannah Yacht Club for dinner and back. Stranger things have happened.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Ron would that be as you go by Skidaway Island? Could be that a politician has a home on the water there. It is starting to make perfect sense. No big wakes, and he can use his runabout to zip up to the Savannah Yacht Club for dinner and back. Stranger things have happened.
Yep, that's the place.

As I pass through these zones, I wonder if the tugs and barges obey them and if not, are they ticketed?