Old 07-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #41
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
As we got older we didn't stop riding because our boats got bigger. We stopped riding because we were no longer willing to take the risk. We tend to keep a running list of things the boat needs, but funny thing it'll still be there tomorrow if I go spend time on my hobbies today. Its a balance, but I really enjoy the upkeep of the boat.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Its a balance, but I really enjoy the upkeep of the boat.
That's a good statement about something I hadn't really considered. Working on a boat, solving problems, making repairs and improvements, is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). In that regard, the boat is a sort of self-propelled hobby. We even work on it when we're out on it. Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home.

While some problems that crop up can be frustrating to troubleshoot or tricky to solve, they are challenges no different to one's mental prowess than the challenges one faces at work.

We have a fair amount of maintenance to do on our 42 year old teak decking; seams to redo, plugs to replace, some surface work, and so on. I actually enjoy doing this as long as I have the time to do the job properly. That's the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #43
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Even though we don't boat full time, boating is a full time avocation for us. If we're not doing it, we're planning it and we're thinking of it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #44
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
That's a good statement about something I hadn't really considered. Working on a boat, solving problems, making repairs and improvements, is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). In that regard, the boat is a sort of self-propelled hobby. We even work on it when we're out on it. Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home.

While some problems that crop up can be frustrating to troubleshoot or tricky to solve, they are challenges no different to one's mental prowess than the challenges one faces at work.

We have a fair amount of maintenance to do on our 42 year old teak decking; seams to redo, plugs to replace, some surface work, and so on. I actually enjoy doing this as long as I have the time to do the job properly. That's the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.

Boating has taught me lots valuable skills, and have met some good people along the way too. I enjoy working on it. Always seem to learn something new.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #45

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
For me, it's not full time, but it is a lot of time. Of course, most of that time is fixing/maintaining. . .occasionally I leave the slip

Honestly, I think I would enjoy the whole boat ownership experience if it WAS my full time and only hobby. Between working on the boat, finding time to use the boat, work on/drive my Mustang, fresh and saltwater fishing, shooting. . .only so much time in a weekend, only so many nice weekends a year
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
For me large boat ownership is by far and away my biggest committment as an optional endevor.

It's not just cruising... I get quite a bit of enjoyment out of puttering on the boat, keeping her maintained, or upgrading things.

The boats I see in the best repair are the ones where owners take joy in working on them. The worst ones are where the owner has either given up or lost interest. The professionally maintained boats generally fall inbetween, but benefit from for the most part being much newer boats.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #47
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post

Boating has taught me lots valuable skills, and have met some good people along the way too. I enjoy working on it. Always seem to learn something new.
Not to mention, you pick up a nice pair of boat shoes now and then.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #48
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Not to mention, you pick up a nice pair of boat shoes now and then.

Yep!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #49
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
That boat is not a Trawler?

Originally Posted by Marin.
We have a 36' diesel cabin cruiser in the PNW
Big Jim, do not - repeat not - get him started...

Ok...I read on, and you did, but he was quite restrained...no biggie...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #50
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Since my dad drug home a plywood c class racing outboard when I was 6 I have been hooked on boats.. they definitely are my drug of choice. The year before the boat and I actually hit the water I spent most of my spare time traveling the world with the thing up on saw horses.

The funny thing is I still do the same thing at times sitting at the helm of my Ocean Alexander.. with it tied to the dock.. voyaging in my mind so to speak. ( that sounds a bit crazy to even me)

That being said, boats (5 in current inventory.. all power boats) are only a part of what I do..

we water ski.. but that is tied to the boats so it doesn't count as a different hobby.

we sport tour on motorcycles.. I also still do a fair amount of dirt riding on a different bike.

I am restoring a fire breathing small block chevy equipped 240z. hot rods.. talk about a addiction..

I do some woodworking ( again handy on boats )

I do a lot of mechanical rebuilding.. currently building my own 40gph. water maker rehabbing and a ac unit ( again both for the boat )

We are about to build a new home as we just became empty nesters
(yeah).. but I do that for a living so I guess it doesn't really count either.

And I do a few deliveries here and there.. it gets me on all sorts of cool boats I don't have to pay for.. damn there is that boat thing again!

I used to restore mahogany speed boats as a hobby but big boats have taken up too much time and fulfilled that need.

Oh I don't really sleep much.. and don't watch sports on tv .. so I guess I get more time for boats..

I think I need to start a 12 step program for boat junkies.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 AM   #51
FF
Guru

"Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home."

I'm very happy other folks feel this way..

WE have a Teak Trivet for hot pots next to the stove,

And love to be anchored and be surrounded by good looking boats with mucho bright work.

AS I sit under cover in a lounge chair on our aft deck,sipping a brew and having chips & dip, nothing beats a bright Ohlson sail boat or a Gar Wood going by!

Thanks folks , you supply the eye candy for us to enjoy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #52
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.
To a large extent that's my issue as well. I've learned not stress about it as much. I do what I can with my skills and time, then pay others to fill in when I can't.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home."

I'm very happy other folks feel this way..

WE have a Teak Trivet for hot pots next to the stove,

And love to be anchored and be surrounded by good looking boats with mucho bright work.

AS I sit under cover in a lounge chair on our aft deck,sipping a brew and having chips & dip, nothing beats a bright Ohlson sail boat or a Gar Wood going by!

Thanks folks , you supply the eye candy for us to enjoy.
I'm glad many of you feel that way too. We have brightwork and as a special favor to you will be glad for you to come work on it.

Wifey B: We have eye candy too....

Hubby B: We must admit to loving the boating aspect and not the other things such as maintenance.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -
I've always enjoyed finishing or refinishing nice wood. In college at Colorado State I made a fair amount of pocket money refinishing gunstocks for people. This was back when stocks were not only wood, but were really nice wood so they were worth putting a fine finish on them. Today, most of them are plastic.

So I've kind of transferred that skill to the teak on our boat. I have zero interest in working on anyone else's teak--- their boat, their problem--- but I really enjoy working on ours when I have the time. Like the gunstock work I find it very relaxing and it's a nice thing to be doing while thinking about other things.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Workin' on my house is a PIA, while workin' on the boat is fun.
+1
Old 07-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #56

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Dang Hollywood, sounds a bit like me! I currently have 5 boats (3 sail) and am looking to buy a trawler soon. I have 16 motorcycles mostly dirt and 2 street. I have an old '79 TransAm I'm currently working on and an old house I am fixing up (almost done if there is such a thing). Good thing I've just retired so I'll have time for all this "stuff". I plan to restore some of my vintage dirt bikes and sell them along with some of the boats I don't use much anymore in order to have more time/money for the trawler. So you see, it's all a balance of what you want to do at a certain stage of life. Time or money, I love working on things I don't HAVE to work on. I love fixing up an old car or motorcycle. Not so much my daily driver. LOL.

Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Since my dad drug home a plywood c class racing outboard when I was 6 I have been hooked on boats.. they definitely are my drug of choice. The year before the boat and I actually hit the water I spent most of my spare time traveling the world with the thing up on saw horses.

The funny thing is I still do the same thing at times sitting at the helm of my Ocean Alexander.. with it tied to the dock.. voyaging in my mind so to speak. ( that sounds a bit crazy to even me)

That being said, boats (5 in current inventory.. all power boats) are only a part of what I do..

we water ski.. but that is tied to the boats so it doesn't count as a different hobby.

we sport tour on motorcycles.. I also still do a fair amount of dirt riding on a different bike.

I am restoring a fire breathing small block chevy equipped 240z. hot rods.. talk about a addiction..

I do some woodworking ( again handy on boats )

I do a lot of mechanical rebuilding.. currently building my own 40gph. water maker rehabbing and a ac unit ( again both for the boat )

We are about to build a new home as we just became empty nesters
(yeah).. but I do that for a living so I guess it doesn't really count either.

And I do a few deliveries here and there.. it gets me on all sorts of cool boats I don't have to pay for.. damn there is that boat thing again!

I used to restore mahogany speed boats as a hobby but big boats have taken up too much time and fulfilled that need.

Oh I don't really sleep much.. and don't watch sports on tv .. so I guess I get more time for boats..

I think I need to start a 12 step program for boat junkies.

HOLLYWOOD
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #57
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
Workin' on my house is a PIA, while workin' on the boat is fun.
Spending money on my home is a PIA, while paying for boat upkeep is funner.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:38 AM   #58
FF
Guru

"while paying for boat upkeep is funner."

Most folks become boat slaves as they do not wish to pay $100 or $200 to have the boat washed, so it becomes DIY.

With proper selection of paint and trim , very little washing , or refinishing is needed.

Out trim is AZEK , not teak or mahogany , which gives the time to enjoy other folks EYE CANDY.

The reefer is located on the aft deck, saves the effort of going below ,,,,for a cool one.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Spending money on my home is a PIA, while paying for boat upkeep is funner.
I don't find either pleasurable but I do accept them both as part of the cost of ownership and as long as the home or boat brings me equal pleasure then I'm fine. I think the key is going in with eyes wide open. Just as we see people move up in boats beyond the size they could really afford to own, it happens on houses all the time too. People buy a larger house because they can afford the payment, but never keep in mind the ongoing costs.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I have what many would consider a "larger" boat. It's a 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge.

I have found it takes many, many people to work on it to maintain it for use, and I'm definitely NOT anal about it.

I have:
1 a guy who washes the boat for me before every time we're going out.
2 a guy who dumps the wastebaskets in the heads and staterooms then hauls the trash up to the cans at the top of the dock.
3 a guy who keeps the interior looking good and the carpets vacuumed.
4 a guy who waxes the boat for me
5 a guy who changes the oil and filters and diesel filters when needed
6 a guy who crawls around in the engine room and changes impellers and other stuff when needed.

The funny thing: All these guys are named Mike and, coincidentally, all of them look a lot like me and have the same date of birth and are married to the same lady.

In all seriousness, we use our boat a fair amount. it takes me an hour and a half to wash it, but that's the major thing in taking care of it. Oil changes and filter changes are annual events and only take a few hours. If something breaks, I'm not a mechanic so I call one.

That's pretty much it. It's not a full time hobby that leaves no time for other fun things. I guess it could be if you let it, but we don't let it.
Well Put!

As does the another poster, we too have a 34' Tolly tri cabin (sun deck). The guy married to my wife attends to most of my boat's general needs - Similar to your position!

Tolly 34'er is pretty darn easy to care for.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote