Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #21

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
A boat is theatre, and you want to stay for the whole show. I remember when I started playing rec adult hockey, I would skate out onto the clean ice and cold air, and the rest of the world fell away.

The same thing happens when I walk down to my boat - it becomes much harder to keep track of my worries and wordly concerns, among all those happy faces.

djones44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #22

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
I've joked wife my wife that I am way too particular to own a larger boat--I simply do not have the time to devote to maintenance. I definitely spend enough money and time to keep my little 24' troller in excellent condition. Perhaps if I was retired I could devote more time to my love of boating, but my family and work are priorities (particularly the former).

Old 07-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #23
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
My home improvement and landscaping projects have taken a bit of a back seat in the years since I've owned a boat.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #24
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
My home improvement and landscaping projects have taken a bit of a back seat in the years since I've owned a boat.

So true, was talking with my dad a little while ago about how much less we go to our homes in the keys since we got the boat. Made the most money on record last year, we went once the rest of the time they were rented out. We usually go every month just to check up on them and make sure everything is in order and clean since it's also a rental via the resort. Went for the first time in about 3 months a couple weeks ago. So you make a valid point. Felt good to be back, but I like the Bahamas and boat better.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:00 AM   #25

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Since I bought my current boat I haven't spent a night at my cabin in the San Juans (I've used the hot tub though!). The boat is easier, and I enjoy seeing new places.

I also haven't (alpine) skied much, though that coincides with having back surgery and not wanting to screw up my back again.

Despite owning the boat, I still travel frequently. Last year I think I flew around 60,000 "fun" miles and I'll do a similar number this year. Whether I'm traveling by sea, land, or air I love seeing new places.

If I didn't own the boat I'd have more money to spend elsewhere, but I doubt it would buy me more happiness. If I only used the boat a couple weeks a year I might feel differently, but using it most of the year makes it easy to justify.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
I actually hired a lawn maintenance guy earlier this year and pool guy last year

the main reason though was my wife retired and now she travels a great deal with me

this being said boating takes a great deal of my time and I want it to but we have lots of other hobbies and interests
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:57 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Boating is the ultimate lifestyle choice for my family of wife and two young daughters, 8 and 10. Everything revolves around the boat and where it is docked. This includes school, sport and our office in the complex at the marina. We live aboard so not a day goes by when I am not doing something either big or small to maintain the boat which is 70ft MY. I actually really love it and have it under control arm. I cant do everything in terms of major mechanical work but all other issues from electrical dc rewiring to install of solar panels to washing etc is all done by me. You have to dedicate your time to it and see it as enjoyment. I also want to teach my girls to be capable people who are economically and environmental responsible. The boat helps in all these aspects.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
I actually hired a lawn maintenance guy earlier this year

Me too, actually. Just a couple of months ago. He's doing a terrible job... Haha.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
As have mine, which I'm constantly reminded of.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #30
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

If I didn't own the boat I'd have more money to spend elsewhere, but I doubt it would buy me more happiness.

Probably the best way to describe it! It costs money but if you're 'into it' there is no better bang for the buck.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #31
Guru

Workin' on my house is a PIA, while workin' on the boat is fun.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:37 AM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Edgewood, RI
Vessel Name: Kittiwake
Vessel Model: Pearson 31-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
When we sold our 34 Mainship we bought a 43 foot sailboat. We spent more time on it but it also took more maintenance. Eventually we figured out that we had to many things on our plate: work, friends, a house and the new boat. The tipping point was when we came home one weekend and a neighbor had mowed our lawn. We took the hint and sold the house.
HAHA.. That happened to me over the 4th of July trip. I was dreading coming home to the jungle that would be my lawn. I dropped a case of beer off in return =)
SailorFromRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
It depends on the boat and then it can take as much or as little time as you want. The boat length isn't the issue but the equipment is. Did you double engines, gens, batteries, heads? How much work do you do yourself and how much do you hire. If trying to do it all yourself is taking the pleasure out of it, then perhaps time to hire some out.

Sometimes just little things. If you're traveling, especially off shore, always kids around ready to wash it down for you. As you age, there are mechanical tasks that might merit passing on. Something like changing batteries can become a huge burden just due to the weight.

I'd say don't let the maintenance infringe on the pleasure. When you feel that happening, find another way. Sometimes the other way is as simple as "I know I need to do this to the engines but this weekend I'm off duty and we'll just enjoy being on the boat at the dock.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Is Boating a Full Time Hobby for Large Boats?

Maintenance is not a big factor for my boat, but I'm moored in fresh water, under cover. Single diesel maintained by mechanic - maybe $1k per year. Exterior woodwork maintained by a long-time friend who also helps with refurb projects (improvements rather than maintenance, but since they don't change the "value" then perhaps maintenance is correct after all). He also washes the boat a few times during the year. Another maybe $3k per year.

Then there are the bigger improvement projects - $10k for boat deck rails and seating and side rails. $4k to replace the fuel system (not tanks, they're fiberglass), add dual Racors and polishing. Another $1k for a radar mast. $2k to add holding tank, rebuild head, replace all related plumbing. $5k (guessing, it was 10 years ago) enclosing aft deck. I spend a lot of time planning these but hire them out, one or two projects each year. And I have a backlog of "nice to have" improvements yet to be made.

I'm on the boat several times each week since it's 12 minutes away, but I can go for a month without seeing it and that's no big deal.

Actually taking it out and using it is only 2 weeks a year plus half a dozen day trips on Lake Washington.

So, net-net I probably spend more time dicking around on boating forums than I do on the boat itself. I'm writing this while walking in the woods with my dog so at least I can log some steps!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #35
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I tend to think as the boat as part of my lifestyle rather than a hobby.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #36
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Mast View Post
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I tend to think as the boat as part of my lifestyle rather than a hobby.
I think it is for some. Certainly by the time it becomes full time it would seem to be. With us, it's part of our lifestyle, but not the entirety. Still "hobby" seems to greatly understate it. We spend more time boating than any other activity. That would make things like music, tennis, swimming, and basketball hobbies.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #37

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
time spent on a boat

For me, it's the various projects that have added time. I will think, "Wouldn't be nice if I had this or that." Then I buy the materials, and start the project. Every thing from new electronics, bright work, to remote windless controls on two pilot stations, ( a really good idea). Nearly all of the work I do myself and the time commitment is significant. Its satisfying but both physically, mentally and financially gruelling.
grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #38
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think it is for some. Certainly by the time it becomes full time it would seem to be. With us, it's part of our lifestyle, but not the entirety. Still "hobby" seems to greatly understate it. We spend more time boating than any other activity. That would make things like music, tennis, swimming, and basketball hobbies.
Exactly! yes. thank you
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #39
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
For us, the boat is certainly a lifestyle choice. This is the largest boat we've owned to date, but it was also a lifestyle with the sailboat before this one. As a result, we do not spend as much time doing other things (our motorcycle gets out just a couple times per year and we are thinking of selling). Maintenance time hasn't changed much since we've moved up - just have a generator to maintain and washing/waxing takes a little longer, but mostly the same as the sailboat. We spend just about every vacation and weekend on the boat, but we still find some time to travel at least once a year. Because I travel a lot for work, it is often the last thing I want to do on vacation. All this said, we have other hobbies that we get to enjoy more because of the boat, like fishing and paddle boarding.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:08 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
So I guess the answer to whether a larger boat will edge out my other passions is a firm maybe, depending on how I do it and what my expectations are. This is all sparked by taking my motorcycle across Vancouver Island over the weekend. I had in some ways forgotten how much I love to travel by motorcycle. The reality is that once I sit down and think about it the boat is likely going to be the primary hobby going forward because I can share it with my wife and son. Whether we go up in size in something that will be considered in the future as the boat we have right now is perfect for what we are doing, and I do not want to deal with securing moorage for a larger boat right now in any event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VFR Ferry.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	42612  

LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote