Boating friends/clubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose you could carry an extra dingy for your cheapskate friends to use. :hide:

Our 600 member yacht club tried a "youth movement" by cutting initiation fees for younger applicants. Got younger applicants but they proved to be not interested in Corinthian endeavors and were of no help in running the club or even using their boats. As the older active boaters leave boating, they are not being replaced by active boaters.
The operative word is "active", actually taking the boat out of the slip(gasp.)

Our 600 member yacht club tried a "youth movement" by cutting initiation fees for younger applicants. Got younger applicants but they proved to be not interested in Corinthian endeavors and were of no help in running the club or even using their boats. As the older active boaters leave boating, they are not being replaced by active boaters.
The operative word is "active", actually taking the boat out of the slip(gasp.)

This is an all to common phenomenon that now plagues many recreations. For the last 10 to 15 years outdoor recreation has had more and more competition from 200 channels or reality TV and an ever expanding Internet. Add to that stagnant wages for the young, increasing cost of living, which equals less disposable income. It's not just boating, most outdoor recreations are suffering from these problems.

Ted

Have been active in the Power Squadron and a yacht club but have found it easier to meet cruising friends out cruising. A majority of the boaters anchoring out are interested in meeting other cruising couples. This is very much like the first few weeks of college. We have been approached numerous times by couples in a dinghy who have just stopped by to say hello and introduced themselves.

If you want a good introduction line, it is "how do you like your boat" or "know any good restaurants around here" .

A good portion of the fun of cruising is meeting other cruisers.

A previous poster mentioned the lack of younger folks involved in cruising. I think most younger folks like the excitement of going fast whether it's by motor or sail. Once you get that out of you, perhaps the cruising lifestyle is more appealing.
Another aspect is money. I could not afford to do this type of cruising until later in life and I think that's true of most of us. Though I have seen plenty of folks in their 40's with rather large and expensive sport fishing boats.

I think in the end the cruising life is one taken solo (boat) with an occasional meet up with friends or making friends along the way.

However there are plenty of dock queens around. The late model 40' Sea Ray aft cabin next to me has never left the slip to my knowledge. However the boat cleaning crew is there every other week. I've seen the owner twice in 6 months.

I had the same thought a day or so ago that Bay Pelican suggests two posts above. The places you like to anchor are the best places to meet folks with similar interests.

We've belonged to a "poor mans' yacht club" (really a trailerable sailboat club in which half of the membership has moved up to moored boats) since 1990 and to a small Power Squadron Chapter for only 2 years. Both organizations are mostly social.

Our boating adventures are solo, sailing a 28' trailerable Yawl for 18 years and now motor cruising an Albin-25 for two years.

Back
Top Bottom