Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2015, 03:21 PM   #41
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I hope people aren't getting me wrong....

There's a big difference in critical care and urgent care while afloat.

Many things are life threatening even in the middle of nowhere if you do nothing or don't call for help....other things it wont matter...you are now in the statistic column.

For the vast majority of medical issues...basic first aid and a tmely call will save your life.

One of my favorite rescue stories was of a guy sailing the pacific that got a fish hook or fin in him and got blood poisoning.

In urgent need of care...he contacted the USCH who organized a SEAL parachute to his boat from a USCG C130.

The SEAL team administered IV antibiotics, stabilized him and sailed the boat something like a 1000 miles to the nearest hospital (I guess some SEAL duty is better than others...)

So if you can hold out 3 days or so....it is possible the US rescue system will preform miracles as they often do....if it is something that requires an AED or CPR...you are on the wrong side of the medical see saw but you never know.

So good medical training is great...but you better be better than you think you are if you go past the basics.

In all professions...proficiency is key....not training.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #42
City: Valley Forge, PA
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
(Sadly, that's not an option, as of two weeks ago.)

Sorry for your loss - I posted this a while back, but hope it helps. Found this when our precious English Spaniel died:
Thank you for that and thanks to those who PM'd me. I don't want to further hijack this thread but want to say I appreciate the condolences.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #43
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
I am an older retired MD and I worry as much if not more about the young who have ways of breaking things and getting infection and allergic reactions in remote places. I am 75+ and figure when my time comes be it driving a car alone or out on a boat often alone so be it. I figure I might as well die doing what I like. I have seen too many waste away from CA and chronic diseases and would rather go with my boots on. Even in the middle of a city with major emergency response it is easy to go over the deep end when nobody notices since it only takes a few minutes to die. I think it is reasonable to carry a first aid kit and some meds and be CPR capable. I have a defib. unit but realize much of CPR is a temporary life support maneuver meant to allow the rescue squad to get the victim to a hospital often not going to happen in the remote on a reasonable time schedule. While boating in the remote has risk it is not unreasonable for those with knowledge and good equipment relative to many other human travel and sport adventures. Why I had a mid aged neighbor in excellent health who went to India on vacation and died soon after arriving back in the US from a spider bite he got in India. How do you plan for that(insurance and a good will).
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 PM   #44
City: Tampa
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
...In all professions...proficiency is key....not training.
And where redundant practical application isn't possible, your proficiency will come from redundant training.

The more you do something, the more it becomes 2nd nature.
As in, if you train like you'll fight, you'll fight like you train.

"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #45
City: Tampa
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Adrenaline is a powerful drug......once adicted, hard to kick.....
...ain't that a fact!
"I'm the only one who has removed half a brain, but if you went to Washington, you'd think someone beat me to it"...Dr. Ben Carson 08-06-2015
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:21 PM   #46
City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
A lot of excellent comments so far.

Prepared is always the key to survival. The further offshore/away from civilization you are, the better prepared you need to be. As we say – “Hope is not a plan”. It is amazing how many times the word “Hopefully” is used when discussing disaster or personal preparedness!

Many have asked about or discussed the value of AED’s. In this light, many I believe are concerned about a catastrophic cardiac event (AKA Full Arrest). Bottom line folks, the further you are from the dock and rapid transport, the lower your odds become. That’s a classic understatement if I’ve ever made one. AED’s are marvelous inventions that have saved many lives. However, I would argue that most “saves” are when they are a part of what they refer to as the “Chain of survival”. psneeld articulated it quite well in Post 30. If you don’t have follow up to CPR/AED with rapid Advanced Life Support (ALS) “Paramedic” care, near-immediate transport to an acute care facility, and rapid (often invasive) intervention – the overall odds are often bleak.

So, what am I saying? Bottom line – you can buy an AED from Costco for under $1,200.00. (maybe elsewhere for less!) If you have the money and want to add it to your arsenal – go for it! Be prepared! I like BandB’s approach to life. Give yourself every bit of opportunity to make a difference. However, I wouldn’t beat myself up if I was spending my money on other critical stuff like radio’s, EPIRB’s or life rafts. The chances of needing, using and actually saving a life offshore solely based on having an AED are pretty small. That may make me a heretic to some. But that’s the "away from dock" reality IMHO.

Yes – learn CPR. But more importantly, learn advanced First Aid and take classes like wilderness medicine. There are a lot of emergencies - in addition to cardiac arrest - that you can make a difference on. Carry a good medical kit. Here’s a cheap life saver: Aspirin. Its efficacy is so well documented for chest pain/cardiac issue callers that dispatchers are having certain/appropriate patients take it as part of pre-arrival instructions. (This is not medical advice. Learn when and why to administer prior to use).

And I always advise - don’t wait to initiate the call for EMS/Rescue. You can ALWAYS cancel them. But wasted minutes are never regained.

Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote