Old 06-24-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: Into the Mystic
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Boating Courses

I am new to boating recently purchasing our first boat, at Silverton 43. My wife and I signed up for the Seamanship course offered by the USPS and started it a few weeks ago. We like it so far, especially being able to ask questions and hear stories.

We are told the next course would be Piloting. Here is the course description.

Piloting is the first and most basic navigation course, covering chart reading, course plotting, and basic coastal or inland navigation, including basic GPS usage. This course goes into more detail than the charting information covered in the public courses.

One problem is that we would like to take the course in Greensboro NC near our home but it may not be offered unless there are 4-5 students. It is offered in starting October 10.

My questions are, 1) Is this course recommended and 2) Any ideas how to help find 3-4 more people so they have the course?
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Congrats of you decision.

Yes piloting and advanced piloting are recommended even when using GPS.

Best was to spread the news is word of mouth. You can print some flyers and go to the public ramps and pass them out or put under wiper arms on vehicles with trailers. Most local radio stations will give air time to promote public service advice. Have any friends?
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Be careful about stories and things heard not in print.

Good luck with the instruction, hope it helps.

I am not familiar with power squadron instruction personally, but have heard less horror stories than from USCGAUX instruction.

While both organizations do an unbelievable amount of good.....

Look at the actual qualifications of the instructor. Boating for 50 years or so doesn't make you an expert instructor or subject matter expert...

While you may learn quite a bit, verify what isn't written into the course as I have seen way too much bad info passed along through these courses....even private ones for that matter.

While not the same, a huge amount can be learned from even the free on line courses and then asking around with other boaters or on line for specific questions. The pay courses on line probably allow back and forth contact.

Again, good luck.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Guru

Actually the instructor follows the book and the exams are already developed. Instructors main purpose is to help students over parts they don't understand, it's pretty easy.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Guru

City: gulf coast
After decades of boating and studying boating I took the USPS courses through AP and found them reasonably well done and fortunately had good instructors. The weather course was also good.
However you will also need real on the water instruction to drive that boat so I would find a good local teaching captain and spend some time getting comfortable with basic maneuvering and boat systems.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
We are told the next course would be Piloting.

My questions are, 1) Is this course recommended
Yes.

-Chris
Old 06-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Eddie, taking the piloting course would be a great idea. Actually, taking most any course would be a good idea.

I've never had a formal course in boating. Everything I've learned has been from my parents as a kid and what I've picked up over the last 54 years of boating. I know LOTS of stuff! Even so, I think I would benefit a lot from any of the USPS courses.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Trenton
The quality of the instructor makes the course more enjoyable. The book, the study guides and the lesson plans make the course. Take a look at the materials and ask around to find a personable and knowledgeable instructor. Traditional piloting is a great subject no matter which organization teaches it. It gives you the background of what the electronics are doing for you.

Computers should work, people should think.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Actually the instructor follows the book and the exams are already developed. Instructors main purpose is to help students over parts they don't understand, it's pretty easy.
Thats the way it should work, but we all know that instructors can embellish beyond the course.

When they are well experienced and smart enough to note the diffetence between established standards and oersonal exoerience...then all is well.

As a newbie, I just caution everyone to make dang sure the instructor's certification and resume is more than a title, uniform, organizational position, etc.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Be careful about stories and things heard not in print.

Good luck with the instruction, hope it helps.

I am not familiar with power squadron instruction personally, but have heard less horror stories than from USCGAUX instruction.

While both organizations do an unbelievable amount of good.....

Look at the actual qualifications of the instructor. Boating for 50 years or so doesn't make you an expert instructor or subject matter expert...

While you may learn quite a bit, verify what isn't written into the course as I have seen way too much bad info passed along through these courses....even private ones for that matter.

While not the same, a huge amount can be learned from even the free on line courses and then asking around with other boaters or on line for specific questions. The pay courses on line probably allow back and forth contact.

Again, good luck.
Why the negativity towards the power squadron/USCG aux? I'm a member of neither but these guys are out there willing to share their wisdom & yes, 50 years of experience boating does tend to make you qualified! One doesn't have to take everything they pass along in a boating class as the only way to do things, but as in the case of someone with minimal experience such as the OP, it's a good point in the right direction.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #11
Guru

Having been in charge of many USCGAUX flotillas when a senior USCG officer and having taught boating safety courses for 15 years with students that dropped out of USCGAUX courses due to loss of confidence...and so many other inputs I could list....

Just like advice here on TF, if you dont absolutely trust the advice, double check it.

How many old timers at marinas have opinios that are so far off base it is near criminal? Remember, some of them may wear uniforms and teach.

Me included, but most who hire me have checked my credentials.

Plus, if you think 50 years of boating means crap, teach captains licensing like I did and realize how little they really know that makes them qualified to be an instructor.

This week I have been screening captains to be an assistance towing captain....even licensed captains can know so little.

You dont have to be an unlimited master to run a boat, but as an instructor, you have to know what is right and wrong, speculation doesnt count as too many USCGAUX captain wannabes have done in my experience.

As I said, wonderful organizations overall, just make sure the instructor YOU have, has the credentials to back his off syllabus comments.

Plus it is the newbies that are most vulnerable to bad advice...think about that.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #12
Guru

City: Trenton
"Why the negativity towards the power squadron/USCG aux? I'm a member of neither but these guys are out there willing to share their wisdom & yes, 50 years of experience boating does tend to make you qualified!"

No. They are qualified instructors because they have studied the training material, passed the instructor exam, practice taught in front of a qualified instructor or examiner and now have enough hours and experience to stand in front of a class and teach what is in the book.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
Guru

Thus is my rub when some long time but relatively inexperienced boaters try to teach outside the course material.

Some instructors certainly are more than qualified...but the newbie has to make sure of the source and not just believe any instructor because they are up front.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #14
Guru

Instructors need to stay in their lane!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Here are my takeaways...

1. Take the Piloting course and others offered.
2. Ask my friends to sign up so the class will have enough students.
3. Read the material, listen to the instructor and form my own decisions based on my experience and good judgement.

I do have a question for Psneeld. You mentored free online courses. Can you point me in the direction to find those? Also, looks like you are retired USCG. Our daughter and son-in-law are both in the CG and relocated from Norfolk to San Diego this week. Thank you for your service.

Again, thanks to all of you for your comments!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Read relevant texts. If taken to heart, that will get you ninety-percent there. The other part is knowing how to handle your boat in tight situations. Docking: do it slowly. A 43-foot boat is a large "jump" for a first boat.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
2) f you can't find enough students, pay the tuition for the empty seats. Then you get more of a private lesson.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:29 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
2) f you can't find enough students, pay the tuition for the empty seats. Then you get more of a private lesson.
Keith

I don't think either the US or Canadian Power Squadron charges tuition for taking a course. The minimum number of students requirement is just to justify the large amount of time devoted by the volunteers who teach the course.

Piloting is a fairly popular course so an active squadron should not have much trouble filling the seats.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Keith

I don't think either the US or Canadian Power Squadron charges tuition for taking a course. The minimum number of students requirement is just to justify the large amount of time devoted by the volunteers who teach the course.

Piloting is a fairly popular course so an active squadron should not have much trouble filling the seats.

Actually the courses seem to be $70 for non members and $50 for members, at least in my area. Which in my opinion is very reasonable for an 8-10 week course and materials.

I imagine if we were closer to the coast there would be less of a problem getting enough students to have the courses.

Here is a link to the electrical course in Greensboro NC - https://www.usps.org/cgi-bin-nat/edd...mx.cgi?L-14577
Old 06-25-2017, 08:11 AM   #20
Guru

When I taught certification courses, it wasn't uncommon for people to pay for a full class minimum if they wanted the class at their convenience....time, location, schedule, etc.

Then again, much of my clientele was affluent.