Boating Courses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another advantage to Power Squadron is that you can join the organization. Most squadrons offer lots of opportunities for socializing, cruising, etc. Also you can get involved yourself in mentoring and instructing. It's a great way to reinforce your acquired skills and knowledge.

Menzies

I don't u der stand the connection between affluent students and BUI but I'm not very smart and need an explanation. Please.

Actually the courses seem to be $70 for non members and $50 for members, at least in my area. Which in my opinion is very reasonable for an 8-10 week course and materials.

I imagine if we were closer to the coast there would be less of a problem getting enough students to have the courses.

Here is a link to the electrical course in Greensboro NC - https://www.usps.org/cgi-bin-nat/eddept/800/getregformx.cgi?L-14577

I am checking to confirm whether these are "tuition" charges or "material" fees. Basically the cost of the course books and materials are generally the only charges I have seen for Power Squadron courses.

Menzies

I don't u der stand the connection between affluent students and BUI but I'm not very smart and need an explanation. Please.

Me too.....:D

However, teaching in a private home or facility was often interesting as I did have classes where people took "full" advantage of the breaks....but learning under the influence is not a BUI....:eek:

BP

Many years ago when I did this stuff the charge was for materials and possible to off set the cost of the facility used (normally that was donated).

Scott

Not being a drinker I don't understand, perhaps if I drank (and a lot) I could understand the relationship of being affluent and BUI. :)

I looked at the USPS websites for more information but I could not find the information for which we were looking.

Do you know how many times the class meets each week, how many hours and how many weeks?

We would be interesting in taking the electrical as well the piloting classes if the schedule works out.

Thanks,

Dan

I will get that info for you Dan. Are you interested in taking the courses in Greensboro?

Another thought Eddie, is to see if the course is offered in New Bern. I bet you'll find more availability there.

I will get that info for you Dan. Are you interested in taking the courses in Greensboro?

Yes we interested if the schedule works for us. We are about an hour away from the class location so we would have two hours of driving for each class. How many times a week they hold the class and how many hours for each class will let us know if we can attend. We would love to do the electrical class as well as the pilot classes.

Later,
Dan

Wifey B: While Greensboro sounds ok, wouldn't the odds of someone with true coastal experience increase a bit...you know....umm....actually at the coast? Now you may have someone with it locally but then will the other students be lake oriented and skew the approach? I just know how the Lake Norman one was...it was actually Lake Norman Sail and Power Squadron, still part of the US Power Squadron. :ermm:

Wifey B: While Greensboro sounds ok, wouldn't the odds of someone with true coastal experience increase a bit...you know....umm....actually at the coast? Now you may have someone with it locally but then will the other students be lake oriented and skew the approach? I just know how the Lake Norman one was...it was actually Lake Norman Sail and Power Squadron, still part of the US Power Squadron. :ermm:

Also a good point. We took the course in Raleigh years ago, and it was given by a Raleigh USPS member whose boat was in Oriental. Definitely worth taking for sure.

Yes we interested if the schedule works for us. We are about an hour away from the class location so we would have two hours of driving for each class. How many times a week they hold the class and how many hours for each class will let us know if we can attend. We would love to do the electrical class as well as the pilot classes.

Later,
Dan

Dan,

Here is a link to the page to search for the classes. I see the electrical one in Greensboro but I don't see the Piloting one. However, my contact at USPS said it is planned for an October 10th start.

https://www.usps.org/cgi-bin-nat/eddept/800/cfindx.cgi?

The courses are one night a week for about an hour and a half each night and run for 8-10 weeks. The course is about $70 and only $15 for spouse if you share material. That's what we did.

I see courses offered in Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte too. Not sure which direction from Greensboro you are. We live in Elon so the Greensboro classes are about 30 min away.

Another thought Eddie, is to see if the course is offered in New Bern. I bet you'll find more availability there.

I would love to take one of them in NB but our current pattern is to be there every other weekend for long weekends so weeknight courses would be different. Greensboro is just nice because it's so close.

Wish there was more of an accelerated course like a long weekend. It's going to take a while to take one course at a time, one night a week, for 8-10 weeks each.

Scott

Not being a drinker I don't understand, perhaps if I drank (and a lot) I could understand the relationship of being affluent and BUI. :)

Google "under the affluence of incohol"

Dan,
The courses are one night a week for about an hour and a half each night and run for 8-10 weeks. The course is about $70 and only $15 for spouse if you share material. That's what we did.

Thank you!

I saw the electrical course in Greensboro but not anything else. We might be able to do the pilot course in October.

One day a week is good and bad. :rofl: It makes it easier for us to get up there for one night but 8-10 weeks stinks. :) Our trip to Greensboro would be about two hours round trip and about the same amount of time to get to Raleigh.

As long as the class is not on Monday we should be able to make the class schedule wise.

The wife and I are discussing things and we would like to take the electrical and pilot class.

Thanks again for the info.
Dan

Google "under the affluence of incohol"

Ok...see your point...

About as funny as most late night comedy show hosts... not really.

Comedy in the US has reached an all time low.

In my mind, John Oliver is one of the best...and still 50 percent of the time I cant be bothered with his direction.

I would love to take one of them in NB but our current pattern is to be there every other weekend for long weekends so weeknight courses would be different. Greensboro is just nice because it's so close.

Wish there was more of an accelerated course like a long weekend. It's going to take a while to take one course at a time, one night a week, for 8-10 weeks each.

I'd be interested in a course, too, but one night a week for an hour and a half is horribly inefficient. A 2 or 3 day course at one time works well, and that's the kind of training I usually take, unless it's one on one.

I'd be interested in a course, too, but one night a week for an hour and a half is horribly inefficient. A 2 or 3 day course at one time works well, and that's the kind of training I usually take, unless it's one on one.
What you are failing to realize is the the power squadron instuctors are volunteers,not paid.So,to expect a two ,or three day course is not reasonable.The people have jobs.

Thank you!

I saw the electrical course in Greensboro but not anything else. We might be able to do the pilot course in October.

One day a week is good and bad. :rofl: It makes it easier for us to get up there for one night but 8-10 weeks stinks. :) Our trip to Greensboro would be about two hours round trip and about the same amount of time to get to Raleigh.

As long as the class is not on Monday we should be able to make the class schedule wise.

The wife and I are discussing things and we would like to take the electrical and pilot class.

Thanks again for the info.
Dan

Dan,

Here is the email for my contact who can give you more info and register you if you want to sign up.

cooperck@northstate.net
Lt/C Craig A. Cooper, AP- Squadron Education Officer

Another option that may be more viable for some is taking a similar course at someplace like the Annapolis School of Seamanship or other "sea" schools like that.

They also "schedule" courses and then hope for attendance, and specific topics aren't offered every week or even month... but at least the course materials is taught all at once, i.e., over the space of a couple/few days to a week or whatever.

Naturally, not as inexpensive as USCG Aux or USPS courses...

-Chris

What you are failing to realize is the the power squadron instuctors are volunteers,not paid.So,to expect a two ,or three day course is not reasonable.The people have jobs.

I can appreciate that, but a hour and a half? Totally inefficient.

When I taught evening classes or weekend stuff, it was a minimum of 3 hours to make it worth it. And there were a few of us that worked the night shift so we could teach days. Worked quite well. I've done both volunteer and paid teaching (not in boating).

I would think a saturday or sunday class would work fine. I've attended many, many seminars that are 2 or3 day training events that worked great. (often 5 a year). The evening stuff just doesn't work well.

I can appreciate that, but a hour and a half? Totally inefficient.

When I taught evening classes or weekend stuff, it was a minimum of 3 hours to make it worth it. And there were a few of us that worked the night shift so we could teach days. Worked quite well. I've done both volunteer and paid teaching (not in boating).

I would think a saturday or sunday class would work fine. I've attended many, many seminars that are 2 or3 day training events that worked great. (often 5 a year). The evening stuff just doesn't work well.

I taught USPS courses for fifteen years. It was one night a week, for whatever term the course demanded. The classes ran for two hours, and would start at 7 pm. The courses are setup so that after each chapter was covered ,there is homework. Most people had a hard time getting there by 7, coming straight from work. A Saturday class is just not doable for most people.
Your other choice would be what was offered before, which would be a school such as Annapolis, along with the 1000 dollar tuition, hotel stays unless you are close, meals, etc. Big difference than 70 bucks for a course.

Or, if you can be self taught do the reading and do the homework and only come a few times a term when you have a question. Take the exam and hopefully you pass.

Back
Top Bottom