Old 09-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #41
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I was wondering if Richard would get in on this one. He's certainly qualified.

"Now, about that anchor... "
He's also a trouble maker!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140922_202316.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	33113

Watch it, or the cat gets it

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #42
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thanks Janice. I ordered the book.
You're a bad girl. You said the "A" word. That can start a lot of trouble on this website.
I almost ordered, "Me, the Boat and the Cat" but then I read the description and it's about a stupid cat boat, not a real cat.

I think I may change my avatar.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #43
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Brian, Jimbob, Gulf Comanche and Scary remind us how important it is to share with our partners now. I enjoy my own company, but even though I complain that my Admiral's mission in life is to show me every single thing she notices before I do, I wouldn't want it different.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:28 PM   #44

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Brian, Jimbob, Gulf Comanche and Scary remind us how important it is to share with our partners now. I enjoy my own company, but even though I complain that my Admiral's mission in life is to show me every single thing she notices before I do, I wouldn't want it different.
amen
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #45
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
It's a hobby we finally both love. Boating just wouldn't be the same without my Wife.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Wifey B: Sad thought is that for every man here now without his partner, there are at least two, if not three, women without theirs. All we can do is make the most of each day. Thinking of all of you who have lost someone so dear to you. And hoping you each find your way.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #47

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
My wife has Alzheimer's , and while she is physically still with us, she has no clue about anything. It is a daily challenge to stay one step ahead of desperation. We just celebrated our 49th anniversary, we did everything together and enjoyed it. It is difficult to visually see your partner and not be able to communicate with her, other then in a simplistic manner. I miss her greatly. Enjoy today, for tomorrow is an unknown event.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #48
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Sad thought is that for every man here now without his partner, there are at least two, if not three, women without theirs. All we can do is make the most of each day. Thinking of all of you who hav e lost someone so dear to you. And hoping you each find your way.
I think this ratio is changing fast. Have you guys noticed how many of your friends female mates have left us. In the 60s there were 3 other couples that we were close. All four of the wives passed before the husbands. Women smoking, suffering the stresses of the workforce, and men changing their smoking and eating habits have changed the picture greatly.

My wife passed from cancer two weeks after finishing our last 700 mile cruise together. One of the best things she did for me after the four year battle with the disease was to say, "You've done your job, and should have no regrets. Get on with life. You deserve that". Those words did not hit me at the time, but later were freeing in a wonderful way. That was the best present she ever gave me.

Some of us like John have our spouses but are robbed of the true relationship. That has got to be very hard, and cruel for both parties. John, you too are doing your job. Don't look back. The memories will always remain.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #49
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Although we ALL have differing experiences and expectations, we all have the same destination: Fulfillment.

However, it often takes different outcomes to achieve the results.

Good on you for following your dreams (even with side tracks and detours) and I hope I can follow my dreams if sidetracked like you have been.

Just keep the mirror in view. You must keep the vision obtainable and safe for your intentions.

Best of luck.

Personally, I could not imagine boating alone. Without a companion, why 'go it alone'? Who else could you discuss your accomplishments with? The 'echo' of the silent room is pretty vacuous. Although possibly a minority, If I was alone, I would probably just putter around in the garden. I can talk to plants. Waves don't really listen!

Reading these posts makes me ponder the significance of the enormity of the topic. Huge considerations. Best of luck to you.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #50
Guru

Wifey B: I never imagined where this thread would lead. My hubby and I don't have true birth families in our lives. We both were loners and never expected to find love. Then we thought each other was all we needed. But over the last 13 years we've built families. People who are closer than sisters, grandparent and parent types, even kid types in a couple of 18 year old friends who mean the world to us. I'm glad. At least that won't leave either of us totally alone.

You do your best though. And then accept they got your love, they know you were there and now the only true way to honor them is to take full advantage of the life you have remaining. I don't know how but if my hubby sat around I'd come down and kick his.....you know what.

What is most rewarding is to see the love each of you have for your partner in life whether still here or moved on. We see some places where it's more popular to bash spouses or ex spouses and the entire concept of marriage. Our marriage in many ways is non-traditional but we sure as he.. love each other madly. Some of you have brought us close to tears but you sure have enriched our day by showing your goodness, your kindness, your loving natures. We never saw that with our parents and grew up not knowing what it was like to see couples in love and treating each other right. We sure came into marriage finding our own way since no example to follow. So we adopted parents and some older couples. They've shown us so much. And now many of you have here in this thread.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #51
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Prefer boating with another. Someone to maintain watch while going to the head and to serve beverage and meal to the pilothouse. But especially to share joyous/interesting sights.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #52
Veteran Member

City: Pittsburgh Pa.
Some of us are just loners and are ok with it. I would never even consider living aboard and cruising with another person. I have always been more comfortable experiencing adventure by myself and sharing it through writing.
Iknowimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:45 PM   #53
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
We are all different. Some people feel they must share the moment with someone to fully enjoy it. Others get deeper insights on their own.

Many extroverts feel introverts are missing out on something in their emotions.
I'm very much an introvert, my wife is somewhat of an extrovert; but we understand each other completely. My wife, being a behavioural scientist, realizes that my time on my own is good for our relationship.

If anyone is interested in the subject, I'd recommend the book " Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking"
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
We are all different. Some people feel they must share the moment with someone to fully enjoy it. Others get deeper insights on their own.

Many extroverts feel introverts are missing out on something in their emotions.
I'm very much an introvert, my wife is somewhat of an extrovert; but we understand each other completely. My wife, being a behavioural scientist, realizes that my time on my own is good for our relationship.

If anyone is interested in the subject, I'd recommend the book " Quiet - The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking"
I started an Introvert support group 20 years ago. I'm still the only member.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #55
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowimcrazy View Post
I started an Introvert support group 20 years ago. I'm still the only member.
I was about to start a Procrastinator's support group, but I put it off.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I saw a T-Shirt once; "Introverts! Assemble Together In Your Own Homes."
Old 09-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I was about to start a Procrastinator's support group, but I put it off.
Drum Roll.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #58
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
My wife and I already have the vision for the next boat, the really big one, the one for the end-of-working sail away. It will be named "Waters of March" because we both love that song, we played that song at our wedding, and because we share the same birthday on March 31. If my wife weren't with me, there would be no point to any of it.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #59
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Does cruising with only a cat for company count as solo?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #60
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for those deep shares, John and Don. It's important to note that true loss is not always from the passing of a mate, as in the case of Alzheimer's.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote