Old 09-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
OOOO Good question.I am only 37 years old,so I guess I am considered a young whipper snapper.

It really depends on the boating I intend to do.I like to kayak,canoe,and fish out of my small jon boat by myself.Of course I do this on my small close to home inland lakes.If I am going to a larger lake to fish,cruise,gunk hole,or just get away,I prefer my girlfriend and our son be with me.I especially enjoy them being with me,if I get a chance to visit a new to me area.I like sharing new experiences with them.My girlfriend is older than me by a few years and my son is 11 year old.He already has future plans to go to college.He is in the 6th grade and he is taking high school classes.If he keeps doing well,he can graduate high school between ages 15 and 16.I don't have many more years with him,so I try to enjoy him while I can.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Logically I guess seems a lot of the soloists are sailors and former sailors. Then too varies a lot by size of boat, where boating. But interesting answers.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Logically I guess seems a lot of the soloists are sailors and former sailors. Then too varies a lot by size of boat, where boating. But interesting answers.
Is it because they are sailors?? ...or is it because of who they are, that they became sailors...then solo trawlerists???

I think for the most part it is a personality driven question...then for some...maybe like me who has been around a lot of the globe by water and now really enjoys seeing the "reactions" from others who are now experiencing their first "xyz".....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I also love to sail alone but wouldn't dream of cruising without my S/O. Although, as we live on the boat, it would be a little difficult

She loves the boat and boating but has no interest in sailing so it works out well.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
now really enjoys seeing the "reactions" from others who are now experiencing their first "xyz".....
We often have guests and love seeing their enjoyment. It allows us to see things the first time more than once, through their eyes. Now we're still new at this so we're seeing many things the first time.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #26

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Done both, depends on what I am doing. Fishing, best done alone, wife never liked it. For me it is now a mute questions, my wife's illness is such that she can not boat, she travels mostly in a wheel chair. There is a certain peacefulness when traveling alone on a quiet bay.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #27

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
I sailed solo for five months in Mexico and then single handed back to Santa Barbara. It was fun and challenging but I prefer not to be alone. It's a very small bragging right and not as much fun as doing it together.
Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I have had it both ways. Family of five or me moving her solo the Keys to Maine. I love them both but when solo, yes I really miss sharing the beauty with someone. TF is a great outlet for that need. Being alone and being solo are not the same. Thank God for technology and the opportunity to never be alone if we so wish.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Wifey B, Thanks for bringing this up. It reminded me that I haven't taken Possum out by my self in a long time. I've never done an overnighter by my self. I probably should.

"I could see extended cruising in protected waters alone in a small boat;"
George I've been thinking the same thing. I saw some boat plans for an 18' sailboat designed for beach cruising. The idea of building it and sailing around the tip of Florida really appeals to me. Call it a Florida Half Loop. (Florida Immelmann?)
Old 09-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #30
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
My wife died a few years ago. Since then I retired, bought and refitted the boat, and set-up it up for solo. I dont mind that at all, but I also enjoy company. Before bringing the boat back to Australia last year my brother, also a widower, joined me a a five week cruise in the PNW. That was great. Family and friends are welcome to join me, and often do. The kids love the boat but have all sorts of stuff going on in their lives so aren't able to join me that often.

Next season the plan is for some extended cruising along the Great Barrier Reef. Much of it will be solo I expect. But around anchorages and marinas there are usually folks to say hello to and it seems quite a few solo from time to time for one reason or another. I have internet and TV and a bunch of books to read so I never feel lonely, indeed some periods of solitude is quite enjoyable as others have noted. Sharing with someone compatible would I'm sure be great, but being alone is not a showstopper.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:12 AM   #31

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Wifey B; Thanks for starting thus thread,and thanks to those that shared their solo experiences. Today is my first day unemployed (retired),wife passed so will be going solo. It will not be as enjoyable but life happens. Always planned to retire around the water,just couldn't make up mind where, salt or fresh. Seems a trawler is the best of both and no grass to mow
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #32
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
Presently planning a solo to Dominican Republic then on to the Leeward Islands for the winter. In the planning process, I can figure on not running the watermaker or taking on water for a period of 10-12 days. If with company, it would be only four days hair dryers will also really draw down the house batteries.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #33
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
When I bought the boat I thought people, including my kids, would be standing in line to go out with me. Not true at all, kids have their own things to do, as do my friends. A day on the boat is usually about 6+ hours counting the drive to and from Baton Rouge. So, if the boat goes out its just me, solo. But, about 3 years ago I found an S/O who likes boats, she grew up around sailboats. So, yes, I enjoy solo, but enjoy her company aboard more.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #34
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Wow.
One of the few threads that I read every word.

Each of you touched on a spot.

I love hosting others. Yet, when alone, I don't have the stress of hosting others!

But going solo along a channel, like the ICW, is really not fun. Then, I feel it's like a chore. I may as well be delivering someone else's boat.

On the open ocean though, I find it therapeutic, though boring.

Most of all, I really miss the sharing of new experiences with others. Far more so if it's something I've done many times.

And yes, TF had filled that void on many days and nights.

Now, about that anchor...
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #35
Guru

I was wondering if Richard would get in on this one. He's certainly qualified.

"Now, about that anchor... "
He's also a trouble maker!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #36
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
"I could see extended cruising in protected waters alone in a small boat;"
George I've been thinking the same thing. I saw some boat plans for an 18' sailboat designed for beach cruising. The idea of building it and sailing around the tip of Florida really appeals to me. Call it a Florida Half Loop. (Florida Immelmann?)
If you're serious about that micro-boat experience, may I recommend this book?

Beachcruising and Coastal Camping: Ida Little, Michael Walsh: 9780918752154: Amazon.com: Books

The authors, Michael and Ida have "been there/done that" and I found their book quite useful. It's interesting and opened my eyes to possibilities. Not cheap, even used, and though older it has not lost it's relevancy.

Another thing I liked was that the editor also added his comments (in italics) to the authors so in essence, well, it's like sitting around a beach cookout talking about what works and what does not.

The stuff on anchors though? That's wrong!!
And a GPS is helpful too.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 PM   #37
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I like the company of a woman

My wife and I were ready to cast off when she was killed in a Vehicle wreck in route, believe it or not, to the boat. I don't like being alone and it took me a year or so to find a new partner. It's not the same, nobody is the same. It has put my dream on hold while she adapts to the adventure life style I've always enjoyed. I went back to work part time. I've always liked someone to share the excitement of that dolphin or orca, the exhilaration of a rapid, or quiet of some isolated anchorage. Sharing the extraordinary, now that's what's special. How can you do that alone.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #38
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Wow Scary, that was a hard read. I think it would be very difficult to get back to the boat after that, hope all is well for you now.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #39
Guru

Thanks Janice. I ordered the book.
You're a bad girl. You said the "A" word. That can start a lot of trouble on this website.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:12 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
My wife and I were ready to cast off when she was killed in a Vehicle wreck in route, believe it or not, to the boat. I don't like being alone and it took me a year or so to find a new partner. It's not the same, nobody is the same. It has put my dream on hold while she adapts to the adventure life style I've always enjoyed. I went back to work part time. I've always liked someone to share the excitement of that dolphin or orca, the exhilaration of a rapid, or quiet of some isolated anchorage. Sharing the extraordinary, now that's what's special. How can you do that alone.
I can't imagine the pain of that. We've both promised to each other to continue and go forward from any such event, but that would be the hardest promise to keep that I ever faced.