Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #21
Master and Commander
City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post

Also in quartering seas (that you mention) a small rudder could make your boat act and feel like she's wallowing as the word "wallow" implies a lack of control.
"Barn door" rudders are a boater's friend.

Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:28 PM   #22
City: Quesnel, BC
Vessel Name: Island Time
Vessel Model: Welcraft Californian 29'6"
Our rudder does seem fairly small compared to other boats we have seen. Yes, it does feel like a bit of a lack of control when it does the roll back and forth. I have read that you can add to the rudder size but I would hate to upset a balance that is probably there.

Island Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:13 PM   #23
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I think Eric and Mark have a good point. When you're "in the wallow", a big rudder can keep your boat pointed in a direction instead of that 3-5 degree or so movement port and starboard that not only keeps you in the wallow, but the roll of your boat from the turning only serves to amplify the experience. Next time you're in one, watch your compass while you're holding on. A big rudder can and steady forward movement can resist a lot of directional change.

I spent a lot of time trying to climb out of the wallows in my old Bayliner Express Cruiser. Miserable feeling.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:05 AM   #24
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a 34 Californian with twin 85hp Perkins, so I am 'speed-challenged'. In a beam sea, it's very rolly, but in a following sea, the wallow sets in. Unfortunately, I don't have the speed to outrun the overtaking waves. The square stern seems to aggravate the condition. As the boat rolls to port, the bow wants to swing to stbd, then as the boat rolls back to stbd, the bow wants to swing to port. I might be misreading the causes, but I can attest that it's a handful at times.

As mentioned by others here, staying on the heading and anticipating the boat's response helps greatly. Sometimes I feel like a bigger set of rudders would give me better yaw responsiveness, but no rudder will eliminate a boat's tendency to roll.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes you have to operate like a sailboat to get a safe angle of attack on the waves. It increases the distance traveled but the ride is better, and the boat is safer.
Recently I ended up about 9km offshore by taking a safe wave approach in worse than expected conditions, then "tacked" in towards Broken Bay which I was aiming, normally I`d have been 2km max off the land. Even so, we cracked a windscreen due to the conditions, ?flexing.

Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote