Boat US haul out says up to $1000 for Hurricane??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Do they cover 50% of the entire amount up to $1000 or 50 % of just a separate labor fee??
That is not clear to me. I know the haul out is so much per foot, blocking, power washing... what do they mean by labor? I means its all labor to haul out isn't it?

BoatUS Marine Insurance Company
Dear Policyholder:

Dorian may impact your area in the next few days. While the exact track is uncertain, BoatUS policyholders are reminded that Hurricane Haul Out coverage is included in all boat policies.

When your boat is in the forecast cone of a NOAA Named Storm, you are eligible for 50% of the cost of labor, up to $1,000.00 to have your boat professionally hauled or prepared. Professionals are identified to include Marina Personnel, Paid Captains, Dock Masters or Marine Surveyors.

If Your Boat Is Currently in the Forecast Cone:
Now is the time to make preparations to get it out of harm’s way. Proper preparations can also reduce the amount of the Named Storm Deductible* that will apply if your boat is damaged. Please check your policy for details.

Last edited:
Power washing? Why would you expect them to cover that?

Labor is labor. Even the blocking is labor as the materials are reusable.

Power washing is labor, but of course I dont know how they view it, but its not that much money. I can haul out at Marina Cove Boat Basin in Hampton for $400 for my 37 foot boat. Then by the month or by the day.

He never uses receipts, or a bill, I just pay by check usually.
So I dont know what Boat US wants as documentation.

He does not charge the haul-out fee till the boat goes back in.

Of course I am not in any cone. But would be nice to haulout if I was as it could cut my bill 50%

i have never had a claim, and been insured by Boat US since 1998.

Last edited:
While power washing is labor, why would they cover it as part of hurricane protection?

Also, I wouldn't be trying to time being in a cone to when you haul out. It could be quite a while in VA!

While power washing is labor, why would they cover it as part of hurricane protection?

Also, I wouldn't be trying to time being in a cone to when you haul out. It could be quite a while in VA!

I see what your saying. I recall it was a $25 fee to power wash.

My marina charges 14.50/ft for short haul (in the slings.) A regular haul, blocking, and relaunch is $22.00/ft. Pressure washing is $4.50/ft. If you keep your boat at the marina a haul is included as part of the summer contract, launch included with winter contract. Emergency hauls are $90.00/ft.

Short haul at that marina I mentioned is $150.
The prices in my area also vary widely, some twice what others charge.

Power washing is labor, but of course I dont know how they view it, but its not that much money. I can haul out at Marina Cove Boat Basin in Hampton for $400 for my 37 foot boat. Then by the month or by the day.

He never uses receipts, or a bill, I just pay by check usually.
So I dont know what Boat US wants as documentation.

He does not charge the haul-out fee till the boat goes back in.

Of course I am not in any cone. But would be nice to haulout if I was as it could cut my bill 50%

i have never had a claim, and been insured by Boat US since 1998.

I would have to think that if you are in an area that is doing 'hurricane haul-outs' the yard is going to be much too busy to be power washing boats! ;)

In these instances, I think they are also going to cram an many boats into the yard as possible. If this is the case, they are going to want to splash any boats that might be blocking other boats.

I would also think your insurance company likely would want to have a copy of the bill and not just a cancelled check.

Jim

While you hauled and blocked, might as well get it power washed and maybe a bottom paint job.

I got the same letter. I can’t imagine that it’d be even possible at this point to get a haul out. Plus I’m not sure I want to be on the hard with this storm.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom