Old 04-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #1

water intrusion

i have a 1980 41 defever and when it rains the water rolls forward on the flybridge and settles under the middle seat - does anyone have any ideas for redirecting this water to the sides where there are drain holes?
mr b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Is it possible to remove the seat use some filler compound and place the seat back down on it or border it with a bead of silicone without it being noticeable?

Elwin
Old 04-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The real question is; Was it like this from the factory or has something changed?

I have no idea what your flybridge looks like, but the deck of mine is crowned in the center so water rolls to the sides. Is it possible that yours was once crowned and has collapsed over the years?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

it was crowned and is crowned but has sagged a little - removing the seat won't stop the water from collecting there - the water comes from the back of the flybridge and roles down and collects in the middle area.
mr b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Sounds like a bit of repair work is in order.

Can the fly bridge be removed?

If so and you have access to the outer rim of the roof.

The only way I have seen a crown restored is to Jack the roof up from inside the cabin then apply a few layers of figerglass to cover the fly bridge wrapping the edges to form a new cap. When you release the jacks it should stay crowned.
Big job but there is no other way I have ever seen.

I take that back I did see a job done with a two part foam. I don't recall the type but fiberglass will stick to it.
The foam was poored on the roof and allowed to harden. It filled in the dip. It was then sanded and a layer of fiberglass applyed over that.

Both require a lot of work.

Old boats and old boaters.
We all sag with age.

SD

SD
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr b View Post
it was crowned and is crowned but has sagged a little - removing the seat won't stop the water from collecting there - the water comes from the back of the flybridge and roles down and collects in the middle area.

In construction FLOATING A FLOOR to make it level is done. The same can be done with West System epoxy with an additive. I have floated the shower so the water drain to the center and behind the roof hatch, where water pooled so I filled with epoxy with #4 additive so it drains.

You could also make a crown filler out of plywood/something by sand the edges and the epoxy in the piece. I use marine plywood. If you are going to walk stand on it, a crown solid filler would work better than floating with just epoxy.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
I would highly caution to NOT use silicone for anything on a boat! Along the same lines as Mr. rwidman, has anything changed? Specifically has the trim of the vessel changed? Is your vessel now bow heavy as opposed to stern heavy whereby the water now runs forward on the fly bridge rather than aft? Does your large mother-in law now reside in the v-berth causing a bow down attitude, for example? Possibly, a shifting of "ballast" might cheaply eliminate this problem...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
In construction FLOATING A FLOOR to make it level is done.
He doesn't want a "level" floor, he needs a crown so the water will flow to the sides.

One way to do this is to build up the center. Another is to try to jack it up from below to the original shape and then install some sort of bracing under the deck to keep it that way.

The best choice would be decided on by a pro after a "hands on" inspection of the boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:12 AM   #9
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
RTF may be on to something regarding trim. Some DeFevers have aft tanks in the lazarette, does yours and are they full? Our DF has upper deck side drains, but the crown inn the middle keeps water flowing that way. Also, have a saturated core person check your upper deck for sagging. Last but not least, for how long has the water flowed forward?
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote