Old 04-30-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
My stupid mistake, good outcome (w/video)

In the end of March/ beginning of April I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off during the process of buying my new boat. The boat was about 30 miles from me and there was so much that needed to be done and coordinated. Multiple surveys, fluid samples, measuring canvas stuff, wash, wax, zincs, new batteries etc. I was driving back and forth from Boston to the North Shore like 2 or 3 times a week to check on things and see the work that was being done......After all that I never checked or remembered to inspect the condition of the bow and thruster zincs. The yard SAID they were still in good shape but that they weren't familiar with those type of zincs. I didn't wanna take any chances and couldn't trust a yard with whom I had no experience with. I've had lots of bad experiences over the years with marine and service folks; it's sad but I don't trust anyone anymore. At the end of the day it's my boat (and my home, I'm a liveaboard) and I need total assurance. Well, after lots of phone calls to Vetus thrusters in Maryland and some YouTube videos I found out that the zincs have 2 bolts and go BEHIND the thruster props. So they are not easily visible to the untrained eye. Even though the yard said they were fine I needed to see them for myself. I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE I LAUNCHED THE BOAT!!. I'm so detail oriented too.....It's bugging me as I type this. Lol

Long story short....I hired a diver to come to my slip in Boston and do a visual inspection w/ video of the entire bottom and an emphasis on the thrusters. Everything is fine. Both thrusters still have more than 75% of life left. You have to really look behind the props and feel behind them to gauge the clearance.

Here's the video. Pretty interesting process. The diver was very experienced and knew exactly what to look for. I may even use him again for bottom cleanings mid season, Much cheaper than getting a haulout. I paid $180 for the dive/video. Its cheaper without the video (I had to pay for the SD card). Good guy. Highly recommended.

It's a long video and the first minute is USELESS and BORING (the whole video may be boring to some!) but overall I was impressed with his camera work. It was raining and freezing cold this morning too......Air temps were in the high 40's and water temps in the low 50's.

https://youtu.be/-HaJViQdBis

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Looks like you did fine, but the video does show a lot of crud on the stuff down there.

Not sure how the bolt holding the zinc on is behind the prop and if so, sounds like a bitch removing it.

For us that have the SidePower thrusters, changing the zincs with the bolt right in front of the prop is easy, so most anyone can do it, but a tank or hooks helps a lot.

Overall, zincs on the thrusters are not high maintenance items.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Looks like you did fine, but the video does show a lot of crud on the stuff down there.

Not sure how the bolt holding the zinc on is behind the prop and if so, sounds like a bitch removing it.

For us that have the SidePower thrusters, changing the zincs with the bolt right in front of the prop is easy, so most anyone can do it, but a tank or hooks helps a lot.

Overall, zincs on the thrusters are not high maintenance items.

I have the Vetus 75 in the bow (8 inch tunnel) and the Vetus 55 in the stern (6 inch tunnel). Both of them utilize an almost identical zinc mounting setup. Both props have to be removed and then the center cutout will slip in place. There are 2 bolts on either side. IMO, it's not a diving job. It's a haul out job. That's why I'm upset with myself. LMAO. It was on the hard all winter in a temp controlled warehouse!

Click image for larger version

Name:	577837263(1).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	88092

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote