Old 04-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

City: Fernandina Beach
Vessel Model: 1997 Nomad
Boat/Tow insurance

I'm planning a trip north on the ICW from Fl to NY. Anybody have an opinion which towing insurance provider is best, Sea Tow or Tow Boat US?

I haven't had any luck finding an insurance carrier for the boat because I am told my address is Florida and the boat will be kept in NY for winter storage. In the meantime I will be cruising other states as well as Canada. I don't recall having this problem four years ago when I insured a 30' sail boat. Any comments?

hohee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Neither is better...one captain/franchise to the next has it's strong points over the other.

If in a particular area for awhile...best to check both out and see which one you feel more comfortable with.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Either one provides national coverage. I have had TowBoatUS since I started boating. You get a magazine and discounts at many marinas. Also a rebate at West Marine. Other than that they provide pretty much the same service. Some people prefer one, some prefer the other. The yellow boats look a little "cooler".
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Hurricane Sandy and other named storms changed a lot of things!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	29261  
Old 04-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Hurricane Sandy and other named storms changed a lot of things!!
Not really for towing assistance insurance.... but hull/liability...it sure did....even if your policy hasn't shown it yet.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohee View Post
I'm planning a trip north on the ICW from Fl to NY. Anybody have an opinion which towing insurance provider is best, Sea Tow or Tow Boat US?

I haven't had any luck finding an insurance carrier for the boat because I am told my address is Florida and the boat will be kept in NY for winter storage. In the meantime I will be cruising other states as well as Canada. I don't recall having this problem four years ago when I insured a 30' sail boat. Any comments?
They both have good east coast coverage. For other areas it's best to look at both maps as there are areas one or the other has less coverage. One thing as a reminder, don't be reluctant to use them in advance. There is no better source of current, local knowledge than tow captains.

Now to the insurance question, I don't know what size boat you're buying or have bought but just talk to more insurers. There are some excellent brokers and I've found Pantaenius to be very flexible. Where are you keeping the boat in Florida? What size boat? Registering it in FL or documenting it or what?

We're insured in South Florida, no limits on where or when. Not cheap but coverage is available out there.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Guru

Sea Tow has the higher out of area coverage with a $5000 limit, I think Boat US has a $2500/$3000 limit.