Old 08-31-2016, 03:13 PM   #1

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Boat Sounds UPGRADE

ALL RIGHT, So the boat sounds need upgrade / replacement speakers, what to do WHAT TO DO. After extensive research, scouring the internet outer net and two fishing nets. Here’s what I have done and currently in process.
Step 1 replace the broken 4” speakers on the fly bridge.
Step 2 replace the cheap rusted speakers on the Aft deck. AKA the lounge and liars den.
Step 3 ADD Amplifier and Sub-WOOFER. (Not a Cocker Spaniel with scuba tricks sorry.)
Step 4. back to being very busy doing nothing.
There’s got to be 8 more steps can’t think of what they should be. Maybe beer. Yea that’s it. BEER. X8=12 steps. Perfect.
Step 1 is complete. I removed the worn out 4” whatever they were. They stopped working. I thought it must have been a connection so I proceed to cut out all the connections and replace them. Its always a connection Right? Surprise still no discernable sound. ??? Oh yeah look at the speakers themselves dummy. BINGO they are dead. Tossed them out installed a pair of POLK audio MM651UM. Pricey but GREAT sounds. Must be the excellent connections. What else.
Cutting the fiberglass holes larger to accommodate the larger POLK’s was fun. I read on another thread about cutting fiberglass with the trusty old Jig saw. Used small width blade no idea how many teeth it had when I started. None when I finished. Looked like a saw made for wood. I looked for the Fiberglass or Formica blade but could not find one to fit my old saw. should have had at least 3 blades for each hole. FYI
Step 2 less easy to resolve. could not find out of the box speakers that would fit the location for less than --way more than I wanted to spend. Resolved to buy component speakers and some ready made boxes to fit the location . No satisfaction there SO.. OF COURSE I will just make some boxes. I have a saw after all.
Bought the POLK AUDIO db692 6x9 speakers they SAY they are marine rated. Probably should have gone with the MM691. Report back on that later.
See attached pictures of the boxes under construction
Attached Images

Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

UUUH well if the first two pictures were rotated 90 degrees clockwise it would be easer to see.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:50 PM   #3

City: Baytown, Texas
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kevin
tallswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I put these in my salon and love 'em so much I added another set. Now I've got 4 smalls in the salon with a sub and another sub on the FB to compliment the 2 speakers up there. Gotta have good tunes!!

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...#v=am3_v_black

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
At a previous marina we had a younger party boats that played hard rock late into the night. Speaking after many requests to turn it down after 10:00 to no avail. So I install two 100 wattsurround sound recievers. One to power 4 out side speakers and one for the interior. So when they did not turn down the volume, I played Christine and country that drowned out there music. They soon got the mrssage.

Also on the 4th of July the lake union was set to music, so we turned the volume up.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallswede View Post
Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Kevin
Will post pics along the way.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Flywright, I looked at some of the Bose outdoor speakers for the ones I am building. I just cannot find enough detail in the specifications with Bose products. I do not know it they intentionally omit key specs or just think no one cares.

I have some older Bose in my house and they suit OK. They were free to me so I use them. Good looking setup you have there.

Are the ones you put on fly bridge protected from the weather? Just the Bose Sub with some other brand full range speakers on the bridge I presume?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #8

Phil, We too have some late night rockers on our dock. Can't out gun them they have some SERIOUSLY loud systems. Usually turn it down at a reasonable (for some) time at night. I envy the crusing waters of your area. Beautiful vista in any direction..
Dave
Old 09-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbuddie View Post
Flywright, ... Are the ones you put on fly bridge protected from the weather? Just the Bose Sub with some other brand full range speakers on the bridge I presume?
Yes, the Bose sub is inside the helm console and the other 2 marine speakers are ALPINE SPS-M600. I had a pair of Sony marine speakers there but they only lasted a couple years before they bit the dust. These have lasted 5 years and are still going strong.

I wired a switch at the lower helm to select the FB speakers from below. The FB has a wired remote to my Sony Xplod Marine stereo. I also have a wireless remote to control the stereo from the cockpit.

The stereo didn't come with an aux jack, but I added one so I can plug into my iPod or my tablet with internet streaming tunes. When I'm watching a movie, I can run my TV audio through the stereo for quality sound.

Old 09-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #10
TF Site Team

Two weeks ago I was anchored in a cove with fellow TFers Vern Vierra and Bob Mills. We had the place to ourselves until a 20-ish ft sailboat anchored 50 ft off my stern, then another boat and PWC rafted up to him. I mentioned I should play my stereo and Bob suggested polka music. I found the Andrews Sisters version of the Beer Polka (Roll Out the Barrels) which seemed very appropriate!!

I played that song on repeat from all speakers for their listening pleasure. I went over to Vern's boat and took his dog for a walk ashore about 1/4 mile away. I had to chuckle as I was walking the dog when I could hear the polka playing in the distance!!

When I returned to the boat, I noticed my stereo was silent, but there was another version of the same song playing from the raftup! My stereo had turned itself off (it does that sometimes...) and the raftup boats played the song as I entered the cove! Very funny! We later laughed together about the music battle!

Old 09-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #11

Now THATS just too funny!!!
POLKA I will have to use that as test tune when it's all in, POLKA Dam funny!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #12
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I am also upgrading this winter with a surround sound for the TV and radio/CD. Interesting setup FW
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
Interesting as I'd like to know more. Being an audiophile I have worked in a few auto stereo shops and "built" my current home system....Combination of URC, Speakercraft and various subwoofers....and am.interested in boat retrofit....not really a fan of Bose or Sonos...

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

WHOA, sorry for the delay. Travel and other projects got in the way of loud fun. Steps 1 and 2 complete. Step 3 in progress.
Pic 1 is old rusty speakers removed
Pic 2 is the new rear deck speakers built and installed
Pic 3 is rain cover installed over rear deck speaker.
Pic 4 is Amp during temp hookup and testing.
Not pictured is the subwoofer in temp enclosure. Yes it will be installed.

OK so thePolk DB 692's are great. Sound extremely good to me. Reproduce the mid and high frequencies powerfully. Very good response in the low bass range as well. The enclosures were made from thin Plywood because of the space restraints. Medium Density fiberboard would be better from an acoustical standpoint. I added some insulation I had on hand and they are satisfactory but allow unwanted resonance from the enclosure. I will remove the insulation this winter and install dynamat or something similar to remove the resonance. I expect better sound after that modification.
The Pioneer Amp is more than adequate from a functional standpoint as I carefully selected it based on a number of requirements. Power not the primary concern but was on the list. I will post separate entry with the specifications of the components and why they were selected for this installation.
Polka music. Who would guess.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	58772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	58773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	58774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	58775  
Old 11-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #15

City: Salt Spring Island
Vessel Name: Twilight
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
I took the quick and dirty route for upgrading my old Clarion stereo - because I dread the byzantine wiring and hole cutting that often attends these affairs.

I just bought a much newer model of Clarion stereo that has Bluetooth off Craigslist, swapped out the old for the newer in minutes, plugged in with the same harness and dimensions, and ten minutes later began enjoying a major audio upgrade for about $100.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Speaking of sound system, has anyone found a descent compact sub woofer? I have two 5" speakers in the pilot house that are good, but weak on base. I think a sub woofer would be a great improvement, but most are just too darn big. Or have really bad reviews like Pyle Audio.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #17
Guru

Great thread. Thread highjack? If so I apologize in advance.

What is the TF's opinion on the Fusion 750 series?

I have 4 different zones that are currently controlled by old radio shack toggle switches. I am thinkingg of replacing the sundeck and FB with what FW (Al) has on his boat with the Bose system. In the salon I want to go with a home theater system.

Suggestion and or comments?
Old 11-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #18
TF Site Team

Tom, I'd be cautious about placing those Bose Acoustimass 3's outside. I don't think they'd last long. I have Alpine marine speakers outside on the FB. Mine are all in the salon except my FB subwoofer is inside the FB helm console.

The salon sound with 5 Bose speakers is so balanced it's impressive. When I stand at the acoustic center with a great song turned up like this

it blows me away! I think I can see ripples on the water! (jk)

Old 11-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #19
Guru

So my FB and sundeck are enclosed so they would be out of the weather. Same opinion?
Old 11-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #20
TF Site Team

I wouldn't, Tom. IMO, the humidity would tear them up in no time. My Alpine speakers do pretty well up there where there's more noise while underway.

Even though my FB sub is inside the helm console cabinet, the speaker box is still showing the effects of the environment.

Tags
audio, sound systems, speakers