Old 10-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #1

City: Saugerties
Boat size

Hi all
Wife and I will be retiring with in the next 2years and plan to live aboard and travel.i am thinking that a 44 to 46 foot trawler would give us enough room and storage. Does this sound reasonable and is there any disadvantage of having this size boat. I know that maintenance would be more the bigger you go but I am more concerned about other things that I am not familiar with like dockage availability in marinas travling the ICW and down thru Florida. any information would be helpful as this will be a new adventure for us. I have had boats most of my life and have cruised the canals in New York State and have had many trips around Long Island. We currently have a 30 foot sea ray sun dancer and enjoy our time on the water.

Knacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Look at Defever 44s. Plenty of storage and comfortable for a couple.

Paul

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

That is one that I have been looking at only draw back I can see is getting on and off it appears that only access is from the swim platform
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knacc View Post
That is one that I have been looking at only draw back I can see is getting on and off it appears that only access is from the swim platform
Look for a Defever 49, which is the 44 with a five foot cockpit. For us, it's the perfect boat.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I suggest you expand your size range to 42 to 46 feet. There are a large number of models designated 42 feet, one of which may be perfect for you. The size creep to larger and larger boats in the past 15 years is a factor in looking for boats. Boats 15 years old and older may be slightly smaller and much cheaper.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Hi all
Wife and I will be retiring with in the next 2years and plan to live aboard and travel.i am thinking that a 44 to 46 foot trawler would give us enough room and storage. Does this sound reasonable and is there any disadvantage of having this size boat. I know that maintenance would be more the bigger you go but I am more concerned about other things that I am not familiar with like dockage availability in marinas travling the ICW and down thru Florida. any information would be helpful as this will be a new adventure for us. I have had boats most of my life and have cruised the canals in New York State and have had many trips around Long Island. We currently have a 30 foot sea ray sun dancer and enjoy our time on the water.
We can't answer that for you. It seems like a nice size but for some it's too large and some it's too small. Best way is for you to walk some and think exactly how you'd use it and then where things would go. A charter in the size boat you're thinking can always help too.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
Guru

Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I think the question is largely the money and the willingness to use it on an annual boat, other than the purchase price. Service, polishing, washing, painting, fuel, port fees etc.

For us a family of 5 people is enough for the size Nordic tug 37, this summer we did about a three month cruise and we were happy with the functionality of the facilities. This size of a boat is still possible doging without the help of another person I personally appreciate greatly. I think two person i is good lay out live aboard.

NBs
North Baltic sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Look at Defever 44s. Plenty of storage and comfortable for a couple.

Paul
We have owned a DF44 for four years. Sold our home last year and moved aboard full-time. Very comfortable. Plenty of storage. We were new to boating. The boat was not "too much" to learn to handle. We bought her in Florida and drove her home to Maryland.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Nope. Access on both sides of the aft deck.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:08 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Baltic sea View Post
I think the question is largely the money and the willingness to use it on an annual boat, other than the purchase price. Service, polishing, washing, painting, fuel, port fees etc.

For us a family of 5 people is enough for the size Nordic tug 37, this summer we did about a three month cruise and we were happy with the functionality of the facilities. This size of a boat is still possible doging without the help of another person I personally appreciate greatly. I think two person i is good lay out live aboard.

NBs
There is another issue at play too and that is what one is use to. A typical family in many European countries that would have a 1300 sq ft home might have double that size in the US. So, going down to a boat is a much bigger change for that stereotypical US family. Go from a 900 sq ft apartment to a 37' is one thing, but go from a 3500 sq ft home much different. Perspective is the key. Also commitment. A lot of people talk about simplifying and downsizing and not needing all the space, but many of them are lying to you and to themselves. They aren't really mentally prepared.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:42 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
There is another issue at play too and that is what one is use to. A typical family in many European countries that would have a 1300 sq ft home might have double that size in the US. So, going down to a boat is a much bigger change for that stereotypical US family. Go from a 900 sq ft apartment to a 37' is one thing, but go from a 3500 sq ft home much different. Perspective is the key. Also commitment. A lot of people talk about simplifying and downsizing and not needing all the space, but many of them are lying to you and to themselves. They aren't really mentally prepared.
This is particular to each of us. We went from a 5,200 sqf home to a Defever 44. The ONLY thing I miss is our gas range. And mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, etc, etc.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies I think that my main concern is I just want to do it once and don't want the dreded 4 feet more issue. I figure that most of you guys have already been there done that. My 30 foot sea ray would be tight to say the least especially during a week or so of rainy weather. I was on a 40 foot mainship and although the outside space was great I found it to be a little tight so that is why I was thinking 44-46would be fine. We are currently still working and do not have the flexibility to travel or charter so I thought I would start here getting opinions
Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #13
Guru

City: gulf coast
Interior volume is what you need to consider because there is so much fake length in newer boats today. A 42' may have been a 38' before they added small cockpit, swim platforms, bow sprits and a pointy bow. Trunk cabins and lower helm reduce living space as well. Get a boat large enough that some of the interior is built under wide side decks instead of side decks causing a narrow cabin.

An aft cabin gives much more useable space.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Without promoting one boat over another because you are so early in the looking stage...

The larger you can get the more room it will have. The more room in a boat, the more comfortable it will be, all other things being equal.

My opinion is a boat in 40-50’ range is very comfortable for a cruising couple. In that size range you often end up with little things that make a boat feel more like a home, and less like you are at a “cabin”.

I do not know about all areas, but in my area it is fairly easy to get a 50’ transient slip for a cruiser passing through. Boats that cannot fit in a 50’ slip are harder to find slip space for.

So yes, I think you are on the right track. Now it’s time to get on boats and look around. See for yourself the design compromises that different layout of boats represent in terms of galley placement, helm stations, boarding, stairs, etc... Walking on a few representative models will give you a good idea of the features you want to prioritize.
www.boatparts4less.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
When I lived on a 34’ boat I had the perfect cruising size but it was just to small for living when winter came along. At 42’ I had a boat that was just a bit bigger than I liked for cruising and it was always just a bit to small for living on. At 54’ I am way to big to be a comfortable cruising boat but I am a great size for living aboard.

Hope this helps you in your quest.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #16
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Thanks for the replies I think that my main concern is I just want to do it once and don't want the dreded 4 feet more issue. I figure that most of you guys have already been there done that. My 30 foot sea ray would be tight to say the least especially during a week or so of rainy weather. I was on a 40 foot mainship and although the outside space was great I found it to be a little tight so that is why I was thinking 44-46would be fine. We are currently still working and do not have the flexibility to travel or charter so I thought I would start here getting opinions

We are from mid long Island but have visited Saugerties and Kingston often. You are going down the right track making sure that you select the best for for you. We have found that the most expensive boats ate the ones you buy twice....once initially and then again a year later when you figured you really wanted something else.
It is really best to have a list that is prioritized for your needs and wants - perhaps with dozens of items. First picture how you will want to use the boat and then picture where it is you will be using the boat. A boat in Saugerties without AC may be no big deal but when cruised down to Fla the list changes.
Here are a few starters for your list thoughts:
- tankage and range , water, fuel waste
- inside/outside operation
- draft or boat
- Height of boat above water
- how do you get to the ground tackle
- What dinghy/support boat will you carry
- How many heads
- Space to actually live
- Access/egress at fixed and floating docks
- Power requirements and various ports
- Genset , AC, heat, etc

A great problem to have - good luck and have fun
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
This is particular to each of us. We went from a 5,200 sqf home to a Defever 44. The ONLY thing I miss is our gas range. And mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, etc, etc.
All the more reason he can listen to opinions here but they must ultimately decide and the majority opinions here may be wrong for him.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #18

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Ocean Alexander 44 or 46 aft cabin sundeck with cockpit. Spectacular interiors and layout. Great build quality, efficient Monk semi-planning hull design, capable of a little speed when conditions or your schedule call for it. A modern take on the "trawler". Easy on the eyes, easy on the pocketbook. We live aboard during summer months...wouldn't own another boat in that size range.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6388.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	69154  
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #19

Thanks Smitty great advice at least I have the feeling I am going in the right direction. Getting the time to see some boats is going to be the work there are not many in our area and now winer approaching I am pretty much done.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Thanks Smitty great advice at least I have the feeling I am going in the right direction. Getting the time to see some boats is going to be the work there are not many in our area and now winer approaching I am pretty much done.
Well - I do not know about some of the other good candidates but there have never been more Bayliner 4588/4788 Pilothouses for sale in this area before. Maybe 12 altogether between NJ, NY, LI and upstate NY. Some are projects and then some are in much better shape.
I owned 3 of these in the past so I am biased but found them to be very easy to live on and a good solution to our needs over 25 years.

Please - whatever you do make your own list first. Not someone else's idea of what a good fit is.

smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote