Boat Show Visit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4061

Guru
Well after many years of not attending boat shows, Mary and I walk over to the San Diego Boat Show under sunny skies and 75 degree temperatures. This show just happened to be at the same marina we keep La Tempestad so parking wasn't an issue which was nice. While I had visited this same show about three years ago for an hour after work, this was the first show we attended together and really took it in.

I was very pleased to see over 130 boats (compared to less then 75 a few years ago) including about 12 new boats. About half sail and half power. No real trawlers except a used Mainship and President plus a new Bennatae 34. A few nice Sabre Downeast style boats then many express style boats. It felt good talking with brokers about an increase in traffic and hopefully more people getting into boating.

The best part of the show for us was walking back to La Tempestad and realizing how fortunate we are to again own a trawler. There just aren't many other boats that can measure up. Of course a lot of what I'm saying is personal preference and I'm sure many other trawler owners would feel the same way about their boats. More then the boat it is the lifestyle that makes this so special. Hope everyone else has the opportunity to spend a little time aboard their boats and even attend a boat show this winter if for no other reason just to remind themselves how fortunate we all are.

John T.
N3522
La Tempestad:)

We have one here in SF, John, but I was too busy boating to go look and drool. Maybe next year.

But you're right! We are very fortunate to be able to enjoy this lifestyle, no matter which trawler you own.

img_208324_0_9c1391fae225225344d8fdb5515d4dc7.jpg

Last edited:
Linda and I attended SF Boat Show today. It had been many years since we'd been to a show. Toured this entire show in under three hours. We both were EXTREMELY disappointed in this show.

I used to love the Madison Square Garden Boat Show, NY, NY... back in 50’s, 60’s. Been to a several other shows since. Within last decade I've seen plenty of picture and text reviews of shows in FL, WA, MA, and SO CAL... they all seemed darn nice. What the heck happened to the SF Show???:facepalm: :nonono:

We have one here in SF, John, but I was too busy boating to go look and drool. Maybe next year.

But you're right! We are very fortunate to be able to enjoy this lifestyle, no matter which trawler you own.

Al, you left out FlyWright. This corrects the omission:

img_208330_0_fa6f2c013f108edf32359e54da8feeab.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mark! I think you took that picture as I was taking my picture. Same moment in time...different perspective.

Last edited:
I don't think it's just the SF boat show. My wife and I used to haunt the NYC boat show in the 80's. It went down hill and now we never go.
I feel the same way when I get back from Trawlerfests. The boats are nice but it's nicer to get back to your own boat.

Regarding the quality of shows I agree they are not what they once were. While there are many reasons including the economy itself, the overall cost for dealers and brokers to enter has become excessive. I can remember as recently as 2000 - 2004 going to the Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and Seattle shows and then returning in 2008 and there was already a big difference. I think we are just seeing a sign of the times. Even the trawler fests in San Diego have been canceled due to lack of participation. I wish they would try again.

John

I was pretty disappointed in the Vancouver Show, although to be fair, I couldn't get to the floating show. The merchants generally speaking just gave "boat show prices" on the cheap crap, the Chinese clones and their surplus. There was a good price on deck shoes, but I didn't need any.

Prices are high and people aren't buying much. Have the distributors gotten too greedy? The merchants I talked to said their margins were lower than in the past. Eventually, we will just stop buying the overpriced marked-up poor quality boat crap and either the quality will have to improve or they will all go out of business. $1000 for an anchor? $8.00 foot for chain? Wire is expensive because copper is expensive, but $70 for a plastic nav light? $300 for a US gallon of bottom paint that has no biocide and only lasts a year (insert unprintable boat Wordpress)?

I guess I am ranting but no wonder eBay and that ilk do so well.

Ok - So the marine parts dealers are charging quite a bit; they do have location OH burden to pay for as well as salaries.

However:

- With the 50% +/- parts-price difference of the brick & mortar dealers as compared to Ebay / Amazon and the like does that mean it is the manufacturer of parts themselves placing ads on those websites?

- Maybe just smart marketers who have arms length, drop ship profit share agreement with the manufacturer?

Another question: As you scroll through web pages, same item advertised on websites can have prices that go all over the map! Same item 100% or more maybe the price difference. Why that much difference? Some sellers simply counting on markup and others on volume?

Just wondering! The world is on fast forward in more ways than one and velocity is rapidly increasing on most levels!
:eek: :thumb: :D :popcorn:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom