City: Slicker?
Warm ice? Drink faster.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
In the spirit of today...does it make inflated or deflated ice?

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You don't even need ice if you install a few of theses.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
To anyone getting terribly excited about these things....there is no cooling mechanism in the machine itself. IOW, once the ice is made, if it is not harvested, it will melt and go back into the water supply for the machine. So one has to be prudent in harvesting ice as it is made.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
At the Trawlerfest I saw a demo for the "ultra Anchor" from quickline. The weighted tip and bouyant shank is supposed to make it rest on the bottom tip first, and dig in within the length of the anchor.

Also they had a neat bridle with a rubber stretch shock absorbers on each leg of the bridle. I'm pretty sure the rubber parts would not last a major storm, but thought it would tend to chafe the bridle less while it lasted. Overall would expect the bridle to work longer with the combination.

And lots of boats... Who knew that Nordhavn boats are designed with 50 cycle power? Not me.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #26
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
At the Trawlerfest I saw a demo for the "ultra Anchor" from quickline. The weighted tip and bouyant shank is supposed to make it rest on the bottom tip first, and dig in within the length of the anchor.

Also they had a neat bridle with a rubber stretch shock absorbers on each leg of the bridle. I'm pretty sure the rubber parts would not last a major storm, but thought it would tend to chafe the bridle less while it lasted. Overall would expect the bridle to work longer with the combination.

And lots of boats... Who knew that Nordhavn boats are designed with 50 cycle power? Not me.

Of course they can/do. It depends on how they are ordered. The 50hz boats were ordered specifically that way.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #27
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
To anyone getting terribly excited about these things....there is no cooling mechanism in the machine itself. IOW, once the ice is made, if it is not harvested, it will melt and go back into the water supply for the machine. So one has to be prudent in harvesting ice as it is made.
True, but it makes ice continuously so harvesting is not an issue unless you are having a party.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:12 AM   #28
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
May daughter and I went to the Seattle Show Saturday and found it disappointing this year. Did not seem to be as many boat in the in-water portion and not as many vendors at the Expo Center. Of course Orrin Edson's old 164' Westport, Evivva, renamed Astara, was the gem of the show. Apparently he is having a new one built. We didn't get the list on it, but were able t go aboard. Pretty nice.

Saw this and thought of Marin-a true "flying boat". Fly in, mount the fishing seat on the bow and fish away.

Also saw a beautiful runabout from Coeur D'Alene Boats-not cold molded but real plank of frame. A beautifully finished boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flying Boat.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	37046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	37047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat 2.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	37048  
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Dunnsville,
Vessel Name: Serenity II
Vessel Model: 1990 36 Marine Trader, Sundeck
Found one on Ebay last year for $90 new made by IGLOO.. Works great. It makes a lot of ice from a gallon of water. We just harvest it and put it in the Refrigerator freezer...

Frank
Rivahrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #30
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
About those counter-top ice-makers... A friend has one and I've done a bit of research on Amazon regarding same. The one you want has an oval control panel on the front -- different manufacturers, but that oval is made the "best" according to reviews.

Jerry has one and always uses distilled water. The tap water (according to him) caused failures. His is a couple years old.

The container the water freezes around the tubes in -- one of the two knobs broke. A hose clamp fixed that.

Basically the ice is made, dumped into a tray and used or melts back into the water reservoir. The ice is not COLD cold -- it's got bubbles so it does melt fast even in an insulated cup. Figure the cubes to be 1/2 size in a half hour. But by then wouldn't you like yours topped off?

They do put out heat (at the back of the unit) -- the coils could be wiped occasionally, especially if you have dust. Taking the unit apart to get to the coils is not difficult. If I had room, I'd consider owing one. I do like ice and at about $175 it isn't outrageous for the convenience.

Free advice: I would be sure to use distilled water or RO if available.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #31
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Warm ICE ???? I recall using ice and boiling waters as standards to check accuracy of bi-metallic thermometers. Ice will always be 32 degree's and water 212 (at sea level) no matter how much you boil it or freeze it.
I'm in the market for one of the counter top ice makers, is the warm ice term indicating thin ice shapes that melt in drinks quickly ? Do any of them make solid ice cubes or other solid shapes ?
The photos of the ice in #1 post looks pretty solid, BUT cloudy.
More ice photos PLEASE and the brand of ice maker would help us buy the best machine.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
A little ice history:

Ice harvesting and trade started in the United States in 1805. Because yellow fever was raging in the West Indies, Frederic Tudor of Boston, Massachusetts had the idea to cut ice from a local pond and send it to the Indies in hopes of helping to combat the disease and reduce body temperatures.
His idea was not well-received. Skeptics thought the idea outrageous and unproductive, believing it would not heed results.
According to CNN Living, on Feb. 10, 1806, The Boston Gazette reported, "No joke. A vessel with a cargo of 80 tons of ice has cleared out from port for Martinique. We hope this will not prove to be a slippery speculation."
Apparently it was, because the ice arrived in good condition but no one bought it. One year later, Tudor continued the venture and eventually it paid off.
Today, the ice industry pulls about 2.5 billion a year. However, its dominance is not what it used to be. The invention of ice makers, and more importantly portable ice makers, have changed the industry significantly.
The Advantages of Portable Ice Making

There are several reasons to invest in an ice machine. First, most ice makers produce about 26 to 35 lbs. of ice per day. They provide enough ice for any party you might have or for your family to enjoy whenever they want a cold beverage.
Second, they're portable. Taking them with you on vacation or to a party is convenient. If you're a boat owner or you like to travel in your RV, a portable ice maker is a great kitchen accessory. This handy appliance lets you make ice on the road. All you need is a plug!
Third, they're compact in size. Most models fit on virtually any countertop, making them perfect for small living spaces. No matter where you plan to use this handy appliance, there's room for it. Use it at work in the break room or in your apartment size kitchen. It's easy to set up and even easier to store.
Lastly, these appliances make ice in minutes. Averaging about 12 minutes a batch, they're amazingly convenient for any occasion.
What Kind of Ice Do You Prefer?

Clear ice is all the rage and everyone wants to know how to make it. According to TLC, clear homemade ice cubes begin with distilled water. Making it isn't easy as you have to boil water and then freeze it in metal ice trays. Although effective this process takes time. You can buy distilled water; however, the freezing time is just as lengthy.
With a home ice machine, you can use purified water to make clear ice and enjoy it in minutes. Presentation is everything, so if you like to entertain and you're looking to serve mixed drinks or sparkling water to your guests, clear ice is the way to go! What's the difference? Below is a brief explanation.
Clear Ice

Ice is clear when it's made with purified water. The purer the water the clearer the cube. Pure water only contains Hydrogen and Oxygen. It's water in it's simplest form.
Another contributing factor is the way the ice is frozen. If it's frozen slowly and in thin sheets, it will maintain a clear appearance.
The metal plate in the ice maker is the reason the ice cube comes out so clear. Freezing ice in metal trays produces a similar result.
If you want to serve beautiful beverage to your guests, it's a good idea to invest in a portable ice maker for perfectly clear ice cubes.

Cloudy Ice

Ice gets cloudy when it's made with tap water. Tap water contains a lot of disolved air and impurities.
Salt, calcium, fluoride, nitrates, chloramines, and microorganisms are sometimes found in tap water.
When water is frozen too quickly air molecules get trapped, form bubbles, and essentially cloud the water. Ice machines limit the entrapment of air, so the ice produced is clearer.
A Few Fun Facts

Has anyone tried making clear ice with the Dometic or walmart ice machines ? Walmart sells a machine that cost $240 and claims it makes clear restaurant quality ice, is this hype or will the standard machine make clear ice if they follow the above directions ?
I prefer clear ice for my Johnny Walker Black !!
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:01 PM   #33

City: Nokomis
Thanks for the ice lessons.
harbor950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #34
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Warm ICE ???? I recall using ice and boiling waters as standards to check accuracy of bi-metallic thermometers. Ice will always be 32 degree's and water 212 (at sea level) no matter how much you boil it or freeze it.
I'm in the market for one of the counter top ice makers, is the warm ice term indicating thin ice shapes that melt in drinks quickly ? Do any of them make solid ice cubes or other solid shapes ?
The photos of the ice in #1 post looks pretty solid, BUT cloudy.
More ice photos PLEASE and the brand of ice maker would help us buy the best machine.
If there were portable ice maker... such as discussed in this thread... that makes ice much colder than 32f, say -10f, I'd consider it. "Warm" ice melts fast; "Cold" ice much slower.

"Once water freezes and becomes ice, it will continue to drop in temp as it gets colder around it. The ice in your freezer at, say, 0 degrees F, is much colder than the ice that has just frozen at 32 degrees F. Similarly the food in your freezer, which is largely composed of water,will get colder and colder as freezer temperature drops."
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
A little ice history:

Ice harvesting and trade started in the United States in 1805. Because yellow fever was raging in the West Indies, Frederic Tudor of Boston, Massachusetts had the idea to cut ice from a local pond and send it to the Indies in hopes of helping to combat the disease and reduce body temperatures.
His idea was not well-received. Skeptics thought the idea outrageous and unproductive, believing it would not heed results.
According to CNN Living, on Feb. 10, 1806, The Boston Gazette reported, "No joke. A vessel with a cargo of 80 tons of ice has cleared out from port for Martinique. We hope this will not prove to be a slippery speculation."
Apparently it was, because the ice arrived in good condition but no one bought it. One year later, Tudor continued the venture and eventually it paid off.
Today, the ice industry pulls about 2.5 billion a year. However, its dominance is not what it used to be. The invention of ice makers, and more importantly portable ice makers, have changed the industry significantly.
The Advantages of Portable Ice Making

There are several reasons to invest in an ice machine. First, most ice makers produce about 26 to 35 lbs. of ice per day. They provide enough ice for any party you might have or for your family to enjoy whenever they want a cold beverage.
Second, they're portable. Taking them with you on vacation or to a party is convenient. If you're a boat owner or you like to travel in your RV, a portable ice maker is a great kitchen accessory. This handy appliance lets you make ice on the road. All you need is a plug!
Third, they're compact in size. Most models fit on virtually any countertop, making them perfect for small living spaces. No matter where you plan to use this handy appliance, there's room for it. Use it at work in the break room or in your apartment size kitchen. It's easy to set up and even easier to store.
Lastly, these appliances make ice in minutes. Averaging about 12 minutes a batch, they're amazingly convenient for any occasion.
What Kind of Ice Do You Prefer?

Clear ice is all the rage and everyone wants to know how to make it. According to TLC, clear homemade ice cubes begin with distilled water. Making it isn't easy as you have to boil water and then freeze it in metal ice trays. Although effective this process takes time. You can buy distilled water; however, the freezing time is just as lengthy.
With a home ice machine, you can use purified water to make clear ice and enjoy it in minutes. Presentation is everything, so if you like to entertain and you're looking to serve mixed drinks or sparkling water to your guests, clear ice is the way to go! What's the difference? Below is a brief explanation.
Clear Ice

Ice is clear when it's made with purified water. The purer the water the clearer the cube. Pure water only contains Hydrogen and Oxygen. It's water in it's simplest form.
Another contributing factor is the way the ice is frozen. If it's frozen slowly and in thin sheets, it will maintain a clear appearance.
The metal plate in the ice maker is the reason the ice cube comes out so clear. Freezing ice in metal trays produces a similar result.
If you want to serve beautiful beverage to your guests, it's a good idea to invest in a portable ice maker for perfectly clear ice cubes.

Cloudy Ice

Ice gets cloudy when it's made with tap water. Tap water contains a lot of disolved air and impurities.
Salt, calcium, fluoride, nitrates, chloramines, and microorganisms are sometimes found in tap water.
When water is frozen too quickly air molecules get trapped, form bubbles, and essentially cloud the water. Ice machines limit the entrapment of air, so the ice produced is clearer.
A Few Fun Facts

Has anyone tried making clear ice with the Dometic or walmart ice machines ? Walmart sells a machine that cost $240 and claims it makes clear restaurant quality ice, is this hype or will the standard machine make clear ice if they follow the above directions ?
I prefer clear ice for my Johnny Walker Black !!

Oh how coulf you??

Thawas just Cold
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #36
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Boy, talk about a 'first world thread'.

Designer ice, my old dad would have had a good laugh at that, he was brought up on bore water and a twenty yard dash from the house to the long drop, checking first for the cunning Red Back under the seat.( a time when men were men, and the sheep were nervous)
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 AM   #37
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
You know guys, I just realized I'm always just too early to the party. I saw these ice makers ten years ago and thought boaters would love them. I bought a bunch for my store and ended up selling them below cost. Maybe it's time to try again.

The other thing I tried to sell were small Peltier Effect dehumidifiers. Couldn't give them away. Now Practical Sailor magazine loves them.

Tell me guys, what's the next big thing for boats?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 AM   #38
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
You know guys, I just realized I'm always just too early to the party. I saw these ice makers ten years ago and thought boaters would love them. I bought a bunch for my store and ended up selling them below cost. Maybe it's time to try again.

The other thing I tried to sell were small Peltier Effect dehumidifiers. Couldn't give them away. Now Practical Sailor magazine loves them.

If I knew that I would probably have a marine store..........
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #39
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Quote:
. . . . a time when men were men, and the sheep were nervous.
Never heard that one - love it!
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #40
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post

Remote control (from inside boat) inflatable anchor balloons from CO2 canisters that sit inside the mud palm.

Anchor has release gear that places flukes in "lose mode" as balloon inflates. Enables flukes to stop holding by then angling straight down. Light weight material anchor rises to surface. Only works with rope rode, little chain and Fortress style lightweight material anchors.

Easy pizie for gals to pull in the line and anchor!

Just a thought... LOL

Art is offline   Reply With Quote