Boat Shoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Question. How do you tactfully ask your guests to wear proper shoes? We have had guests on board all day (non boaters) and scuff marks abound. We have another set of friends coming tomorrow (boaters) and I suspect that everyone will be shoed appropriately. I don't want to ruin the fun before it starts- but how can I ask guests to remove their shoes or wear the proper attire??
no.gif

Two things we do

--No tact when giving instructions on boat safety, head operation*and attire, just facts

--We keep spare shoes if they don't bring spare decent/boat shoes. If no fit they go barefoot

Is it possible to provide those little 'booties' that service workers wear when working in your home? They're light fabric slip-on booties that would protect your decks from marks. It would also allow a discussion about appropriate footwear for boats.

I have some small laminated briefing cards for new guests to read when they board and I am prepping for departure. It keeps them occupied and provides boat info like boat length, manufacturer, age, HP, and history. It also has some safety and need-to-know items included. This might be a way to address the subject without anyone taking personal offense.

I always "request" to my guests in advance to please wear light soled shoes so they won't scuff up my decks. Or be prepared to go barefoot on the boat.

Most of the time that is sufficient.

What they wear is fine with us.* We have not ask people to take off their shoes as we dont.* We wear cowboy boots most of the winter months, and dress shoes during the summer.* High heels are acceptable as I have not had a high heel mark or damage our deck/floors, but our floors are carpeted, and the teak decks are tough.* Besides when wearing a high heel most of the weight is on the ball of the foot not the heel.*
Some people I prefer they wear their shoes rather than go bare foot as feet can be so yucky and ugly. ****Please leave your shoes on!* *In the summer I get a manicure and pedicure once/twice a month as I go bare foot most of the time oin the boat/dock/marina.** So people are welcome on our boat what whatever shoes they are wearing.***

A friend of mine bought a bunch of those shoes they call Crocs.

*They are cheep and slip on's. *Even flip flops would work.

They hang in a net bag in the head. *

If the shoes are not appropriate just tells them to grab a pair.

* I have seen them at Wal-mart for $5.00 a pair.

Here in alaska we tell everyone to wear rubber boots. *The Alaska boat shoe is a pair of X-tra tuffs.

*SD

--

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 16th of May 2011 09:43:20 AM

i had never considered that...
some people have hardwood floors in their homes, do they ask you to comply on the no scuff mark left behind or leave the shoes outside?
a few of my friends ask politely if shoes can be left outside, but what if its a cocktail hour and ladies are wearing heels, cant imagine to request them to go barefoot.

our boat is for using and enjoying the waterways, not a display model and not a collectors item never taken out of its box.
the more friends the better in fact, but i can see the concern.
oh well..
besides the Admiral is in charge of cleaning the decks..(lol)

If your decks are pristine I can understand wanting to kee them that way, so a discrete sign at the gate, "boat shoes only, please" will be adequate.
My 30+ yr old boat has seen its fair share of hard heels and other things crashing to the deck, with the scars it wears proudly. I have refinished the main cabin decks a couple of times, and even with all the scars, I get compliments on it. In fact a friend had some refinishing done professionally, and just before the last coat of varnish out came the old snow tire chains with which the floor installer wallopped the deck, to try to get it to look like the older parts. In the end it all blended in and looked great.

I don't have a problem with anybody stomping around the INSIDE of the boat wearing what the want for footwear. And the non skid fiberglass decks are not in bad shape- but certainly not pristine. The dark scuff marks are my big gripe. They are so much trouble to remove. And so easy to avoid!
I see lots of great ideas in the recent posts. I may try to apply all of them:)

To Per's question about ppl asking visitors to not wear shoes inside their house; we have friends that make us leave our shoes at the door.* Doesn't matter how dressed up or how fancy the shoes, they do not allow shoes inside.* It is usually a cultural thing, though for some it is a cleanliness thing.*

I like the crocs idea, though our decks don't look nice enough to worry about it!

It is usually a cultural thing,

This is how most folks see it , so to be PC almost anyone will go barefoot.

I don't have a dog in this fight with Treadmaster on the 90/90 and flint embedded in epoxy (carrier no skid) on LUCY.

Actually it's not the decks that I care about...it's the black marks in the vertical fiberglass from black soled shoes.

Yep, I just tell them ahead of time when we are coordinating. And if somebody shows up with black soled shoes, I ask them to be removed.
In Japan and Hawaii(and I am sure other places), removing shoes before entering a home is normal MO.

Back
Top Bottom