Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

City: St Louis
Boat Selection Game - Round 3

Another round... See round 1 for rules of this knowledge sharing "game"!

Scenario 3: Weekend Family Cruising - $175k
A working couple with two young children are going cruising on weekends in a coastal environment... PNW, ICW, Alton IL, etc. No time aboard longer than a couple weeks at a time, but obviously the time aboard is highly valued, so not much tolerance for unscheduled maintenance. I know the average temperature might impact which option might be ideal, but I figured I would let everyone decide for themselves if the cruising grounds is the PNW, FL, etc. In accordance with the rules, just explain what your assumption is regarding where the weekend cruising takes place, and how that influences your choice of boat.

Here are the options:

A) 42' KK like this one:
1982 Krogen 42 Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

B) 42' GB like this one:
1987 Grand Banks 3 SR Motor Yacht (Major Price Reduction) Power Boat

C) 36' EndeavourCat like this one:
2001 Endeavour TrawlerCat Great Shape Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

D) Manatee like this one
1986 Kadey Krogen Manatee Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

E) 55' Gibson like this one:
2005 Gibson CABIN YACHT Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

F) A boat of your choosing of equal or lesser value!
Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
Of this group and for the PNW I'd pick the 42' Krogen even though it's a single-engine boat. The GB42 is an outstanding boat but for the PNW I would not want the Motoryacht because it does not have a full walkaround deck which I feel is a must-have in this area. However I would probably take a twin-engine GB42 Classic (tri-cabin) or Europa over the Krogen, particularly if the Krogen had a wood-cored hull which I understand some of them do.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Alton IL and PNW mentioned in the same sentence? I've done serious boating in both locales and suggest serious AC for Alton and good diesel heat for the PNW. After these two easy decisions are made and your $175K is ready to go to work, buy a very large gas powered float home (houseboat type or a big old Carver) for Alton and a seaworthy well built long lived diesel vessel like a Tollycraft for the PNW.

In Alton prepare for 5 shut down months of winter and ice. In the PNW prepare for 12 months of voyaging where Chapman matters and salt water issues abound.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal View Post
Another round... See round 1 for rules of this knowledge sharing "game"!

Scenario 3: Weekend Family Cruising - $175k
A working couple with two young children are going cruising on weekends in a coastal environment... PNW, ICW, Alton IL, etc. No time aboard longer than a couple weeks at a time, but obviously the time aboard is highly valued, so not much tolerance for unscheduled maintenance.
The Krogen and GB are way to slow and very high on the maintenance scale. If you only have weekends and a few weeks per year, going 7-9 knots would really limit your cruising area and all that teak? Get something newer and faster like an Express Cruiser. Less maintenance and get to see more. With 2 young children, a plastic boat would be perfect.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=76318&url=
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
The Krogen and GB are way to slow and very high on the maintenance scale. If you only have weekends and a few weeks per year, going 7-9 knots would really limit your cruising area and all that teak? Get something newer and faster like an Express Cruiser. Less maintenance and get to see more. With 2 young children, a plastic boat would be perfect.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=76318&url=

For round 3 I would concur with the above choice... the 40' Sea Ray I currently have has opened me up to a new style of boating that has changed a bit of my perspective on short cruises. A diesel cruiser like the above is a very capable boat for the family cruise. With that being said I have had long weekends where we spent more on fuel than we did in a entire season on Volunteer. This is one of the reasons we are headed back to a Trawler... fuel costs and we miss all the accessible above deck space
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=76318&url=

I'm going to have to agree as well. Weekends are shore. In a 8kt boat you'll be very limited in your range.

Get something that can do 20+ knots at cruise to open up a world of places you can see in a weekend.

For weekends you don't need as large of a boat either. Something in the 30' range is plenty for four people on weekend jaunts.

With that budget in mind I'd go with the style you perfer, something like a searay sundancer, or a Tiarra if you like open express cruisers, or any of the Bayliner/Meridians in the 30-40' range if you like a flybridge cruiser.

Get a newer boat so the systems are a bit newer.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #7

This forum does not disappoint! Good stuff! Hadn't thought about how the length can be much shorter for a weekender than for liveaboard... Even though that sounds quite obvious now that I've typed it out. Understand the need for speed to increase range, but as one comment has already been made, the resulting fuel bill sounds scary as hell. Perhaps the cat is a way to increase the range without the hefty fuel bill?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser
Alton IL and PNW mentioned in the same sentence? I've done serious boating in both locales and suggest serious AC for Alton and good diesel heat for the PNW. After these two easy decisions are made and your $175K is ready to go to work, buy a very large gas powered float home (houseboat type or a big old Carver) for Alton and a seaworthy well built long lived diesel vessel like a Tollycraft for the PNW.

In Alton prepare for 5 shut down months of winter and ice. In the PNW prepare for 12 months of voyaging where Chapman matters and salt water issues abound.
How would the Manatee do in middle America?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Trenton
28' SeaRay Sundancer with twin 6 Cylinder I/Os.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Is it the voyage or the destinations that is/are important? Doing it fast, one needs a fast boat. If it is voyage, a slow boat shouldn't be a disadvantage.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I recommend you visit Yachtworld website and carefully look into Tollycraft 34' to 45'... they have planing hulls; in tri cabin or sedan models. They are seaworthy, fiberglass and built like tanks, fairly quick speeds, affordable, comfortable, twin screw gas or diesel, resalable, and have a very supportive forum that deals nearly 100% in Tollycraft only... by long-term Tolly owners. At or below hull speed they are considerably economical, especially by using only one screw at a time (2.75 to 3 nmpg at 6.5 knots or 2 to 2.5 nmpg with both engines running while doing 7.5 knots for a 34’ TC) . At mid range planing speeds (16 to 17 knots) they get not too bad mileage either – approx 1 nmpg for 34’ Tolly TC. Truly a great classic craft - IMHO, as a very satisfied Tollycraft owner.

Cheers, Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

It all depends an where you boat. We keep our boat in Bellingham which puts us within four or five hours of everywhere in the San Juan islands at eight knots. Several of our preferred local designations in the islands are three hours or less away. Today for example we drove up to Bellingham in the morning, got to the boat at about 11am, were underway by noon, went to an island, put out a crab trap, then took a scenic cruise for a couple of hours, went back and pulled the trap, headed back to Bellingham, and were back in the slip by five.

So on a weekend we can take a two-day cruise into the islands, something we could never do if we kept the boat in Seattle or Edmonds or Everett unless we had a way faster boat. Far more cost-effective to drive to Bellingham at 70mph and 30mpg than to have to make that same run at eight knots and 6gph.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
That makes sense, Marin. Did you catch any crabs?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #14
Scraping Paint

Yes.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
It all depends an where you boat. We keep our boat in Bellingham which puts us within four or five hours of everywhere in the San Juan islands at eight knots. Several of our preferred local designations in the islands are three hours or less away. Today for example we drove up to Bellingham in the morning, got to the boat at about 11am, were underway by noon, went to an island, put out a crab trap, then took a scenic cruise for a couple of hours, went back and pulled the trap, headed back to Bellingham, and were back in the slip by five.

So on a weekend we can take a two-day cruise into the islands, something we could never do if we kept the boat in Seattle or Edmonds or Everett unless we had a way faster boat. Far more cost-effective to drive to Bellingham at 70mph and 30mpg than to have to make that same run at eight knots and 6gph.
Marin

I cannot count how many times I've heard you tell all how terrible it is to be stuck at 8 knots.

For the OP's "question" he only has weekends. With a 20 kt boat you would not be limited to the san juans. You could make it up into Desolation sound, and all that offers couldn't you.

I bought my "trawler" or slow boat, because I reached a age where I could take more time. Because of that I opted to get a boat that is allot more comfortable.

In my younger years I loved having a fast boat because of the time. I had a 34' Bayliner with 630 horsepower. It cruised at 26 knots. I also had a 28' Bayliner that cruised at 27 knots with a 375 horsepower engine. Sometimes i have to admit I still miss those boats when i have a specific place I want to go to and don't have days to do it.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #16

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Based on your criteria and the list you supplied I would go with the catamaran. As others have already pointed out the larger, older single engine trawlers are too slow and will be expensive to maintain and from my survey experience will in most all cases have a fairly long list of things in need of attention. A houseboat will leave you tied to the dock if conditions aren't good.

I have surveyed several of the Endeavours and they usually do well. No issues with their hull structure and low maintenance since there is no wood on the outside. Good performers with small (efficient) diesels and propellers protected in tunnels. Small children should do well on them since there is lots of room around the helm and plenty of places where they can be on deck in view when you are cruising along slowly. Interior has places they can be out of the way too and not be able to escape unnoticed.

Some negatives although not serious are they are tender when lifted and the propeller tunnels make them a little noisy and not as smooth as hulls with standard configurations. The big plus with the tunnels is they are beachable without much worry. I am not a big fan of the interiors with the up across and down but it does give more privacy and is the price you pay for the narrow multiple hulls that give the good economical peformance.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Marin

I cannot count how many times I've heard you tell all how terrible it is to be stuck at 8 knots.
It is. The only saving grace in our situation is that because we keep the boat in Bellingham, even at a pathetic eight knots we can still go to great places on a weekend. That's why I said that a lot of it depends on where you boat. If we kept our boat in the south Sound (Seattle, Tacoma, Everett), which to me is an extremely boring place to boat, we would not get nearly the enjoyment we do from our boat because its glacial pace could not get us in a weekend to the kinds of places we like to go. So we probably wouldn't use it nearly as much as we do with it up in Bellingham.

So I agree with you. If one's location is such that desired destinations are further away than can be visited in a timely manner in an eight knot boat, that person will probably get far more use and enjoyment with a much faster boat if they can afford it and the fuel.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'd also have to go with the Cat. The Endeavour can cruise at 12 knots with decent economy and can give you 16 if necessary. Great economy at 8 knots when you're not in any hurry. It's three staterooms offer private, individual spaces for parents and kids and it's wide deck and side walks also give safe, run around areas for to spend youthful energy. Low 12 ft. clearance gets you under most bridges so you can be on your way. The bridge deck on ths boat is a little low and tends to hammer in higher chop, and of course, being a cat, it is weight sensitive. For the 175K, if the kids were still small and I wasn't over 6', I'd probably make that Same offer on a PDQ 34 powercat. It's the answer to your concern about economy and speed as well as still offering separate spaces, and the bridge deck is a bit higher. The fly bridge gives you another dimention to fair weather cruising. Another possibility would be a Fontaine Pajot Maryland 37 which is about half way between the two, but a good family boat as well, also offering a FB and a good bridge deck height. I haven't seen either the PDQ or the Fontaine Pajot Maryland for 175k, but there are some priced close enough to offer that in these times. All these boats have good heads and separate showers and good storage. Good luck.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #19

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I would have to say a mid to upper 30's express type. Your not doing extended cruising and you want to get to destinations fast. Less systems, less maintence worries, not to mention easy to handle and more options for smaller marinas adding to less cost than a larger, wider boat. You also have the ability to lay the boat up at a marina for less cost if you want extended trips than continuing to come back to your home port. One other plus is a smaller express is better to teach the kids boat handling and seamanship.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote