Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Feel I should hijack for a moment due to statements on other posts... Regarding Concussions.

Although there is no other sensible plan/outlook than to have as few as possible throughout your life... they are usually not the end of the world. Many of them are simply "just what life deals".

I boxed, played offence and defense line in football, and, I was in coma for seven days due to automotive head injury... as well as knocked cold for several minutes (20 + scalp stitches) from falling eight feet onto concrete patio - head first... OUCH!!

These "head" items happened years ago. Some in my teens/twenties... eight foot fall in my mid 50's

I'm currently 64. And, going strong!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
To add insult to injury; three hours into our trip home, a 19 year old girl decided she needed to drive across a five lane road without ever looking in our direction. A mild concussion for my wife (5 airbags deployed), and a totaled car, we are now going car shopping. Life is still good!

Hope for all the best for your wife.

Totaled is probably slightly better; repaired means diminished value, even if fixed to functionally and cosmetically perfect. Hope it wasn't the Jeep.

Wifey just got her new car, about 18 months after being rammed at a stoplight, near noon, by the sleeping young lady. This the third time somebody has decided to run into one or both of us at speed. Wouldn't mind being able to drive an Abrams around town...

-Chris
Old 09-01-2016, 06:49 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Feel I should hijack for a moment due to statements on other posts... Regarding Concussions.

Although there is no other sensible plan/outlook than to have as few as possible throughout your life... they are usually not the end of the world. Many of them are simply "just what life deals".

I boxed, played offence and defense line in football, and, I was in coma for seven days due to automotive head injury... as well as knocked cold for several minutes (20 + scalp stitches) from falling eight feet onto concrete patio - head first... OUCH!!

These "head" items happened years ago. Some in my teens/twenties... eight foot fall in my mid 50's

I'm currently 64. And, going strong!
I'd humbly suggest that surviving an 8' fall, head first, onto concrete is simply lucky... Not sure I'd want to assign a label as to the kind of luck....
Wow!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #24
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I'd humbly suggest that surviving an 8' fall, head first, onto concrete is simply lucky... Not sure I'd want to assign a label as to the kind of luck....
Wow!
Bruce
RE 8' fall onto concrete: Hard Headed [75% Irish/25% Italian] is all the doctors, my wife, our kids, our grand kids and I can come up with. I was really "spaced-out" for a few weeks and still felt repercussions (funny how that rimes with concussions) regarding balance and equilibrium in general for months. Once I got over those hurdles all seems to have returned to OK... for about eight years now.

Re Auto Accident: Head injury, i.e. 7 day coma, that I was in from auto accident [wrapped the car around a tree due to high speed tire blow out on a curve] at 21 produced considerably more pronounced affects than the above. Took a week +/- after regaining consciousness before I could use correct words in a sentence and therefore talk understandably. At very first days I did not recognize people, family included; nor understood where I was. Balance and my inner-brain directional compass were really screwed up for many, many months. Wheel chair for a while because if I stood, even with crutches, I'd topple over. Took a couple years for that accident's repercussions to truly mollify. There are still some incidental lingering affects regarding nerve actions and feeling responses for muscles and skin on left side of face and skull. Scars lines over left eye and lower lip area have basically turned into looking like age lines at 64 years. Costs for new teeth (upper and lower) every couple decades to replace the fronts that were knocked out is the cost of "doing life". After couple decades of OK teeth - since current re-do - I recently spent $16K on my teeth. For what my "Doc" accomplished over the span of a full year that is a bargain to be sure . Love my mid 60 yr. old dentist! Now, my mouth should be good to go into my mid 80's or longer???? Last complete re-do lasted a full 30 yrs.

BTW - Loving Life! Being alive and getting back to 99.5% capable after some of my accidents is a blessing to be sure. In addition to being a hard headed Irish/Italian for recovering from head injuries - I also daily Thank My Creator - i.e. God... or what ever handle one may like to affix!!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #25

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
Good but painful story, OP. Best wishes to you and your wife!
Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #26

City: Toronto
Sold and bought a few times in the past, I come to have NO respect for most ( if not all ) boat brokers, they are basically back lot used car or carpet salesmen. I find it laughable when I read something like .... " professionally cared for by a loving and a knowledgeable owner " I actually had a buyer's broker say to me to come up a few $K in a sign back because the buyer was interested ..... The last being our current new boat where the holding tank ( empty when we viewed & sea trial ) was cracked and I had to replace it ..... btw, the broker claimed intimate knowledge of this boat and owner ....... Be sharp and don't believe anything !!! unless it's your own people. FB
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My experience is that boat brokers cover the spectrum. The sellers broker on my current boat was one of the most honest and open I have met pointing out issues and getting questions answered. There was also one, that had he been younger, I would have killed him on the spot, simply to keep him from siring more plagues to humanity.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Wow! we have a 390 and to have a scum line that high means that boat could only have been sunk. there would have been 3.5' to 4' inside the boat. T
hat is a lot of water. Every time I pull any boat I ever had for the season I pull the drain plug. I looked at a boat with a buddy of mine about a month ago. It was a 44' Sea Ray express cruiser. It was on the hard for several years with the cabin door partially open and there was only about 8" of water in the engine compartment and 2" on the deck
inside. (drain plug had not been removed).

John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnma View Post
Wow! we have a 390 and to have a scum line that high means that boat could only have been sunk. there would have been 3.5' to 4' inside the boat....John
That was my suspicion(#8 above).
Side note: Broker says engine has been upgraded. Sounds good. On questioning broker says "upgrade" due to freshwater leakage into hull and nice owner repairing engine, just in case. Sounds ok, except for failure to disclose reason for engine "upgrade". Probable yet more BS "explanation", it`s more likely due to salt water engine incursion from below.
Very naughty broker, off the Xmas card list.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #30

City: Wrightsville Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Time & Tide
Vessel Model: 2005 34T Mainship
Boat Search is back on

My wife is recovering and we purchased another car today, so now back to the important task. Time to find a Boat. Anyone getting ready to sell their 36' Sabreline aft cabin (I can't afford the Sedan)? Prefer Yanmar or Cummins or Cats in that order. Thanks again for the good thoughts!

Todd
Todd R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #31

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
Some years ago we had a deposit down on a 85 footer.

Took the boat out with it's captain for a sea trial and haul out .
During the sea trial I ask the captain to put on the trim tabs and a few others things--he told me they don't work
Our surveyor didn't seem to concerned about the small stuff.
Broker on deck; pointing to the birds and seals and how beautiful everything was and how good you look on this boat

At haul out I noticed that the hull on one side in the rear quarter wasn't smooth and had some big wave to it.
Do you think there maybe a problem here

Then it gets worse
I called friend in England that knew the owner of a shipyard in Italy ( I sent pictures to them )
The boat had their yards trademark on it
But it wasn't built by them ----but a yard besides them.

The boat owner could not give the deposit back quick enough after talking to the Italian guys.
So who is wrong the owner or the broker
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #32
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
SeaQ, a broker is an agent. He gets information and instructions from his principal,the seller. Unless he`s on"a frolic of his own" beyond authority. How to say both were not "deceived"(assuming there was deception)by the branding, into representing the boat as brand "X", as it was trademarked ?
Seems odd the boat was built not by the brand owner, but by the yard "beside them". Wouldn`t someone notice 85ft of boat, just like one of theirs, being built "beside them"? A subcontracted build the brand owner wants to dissociate itself from because the build turns out to be below their standards ?
There has to be more to this.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #33

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sea Q
Vessel Model: Westport Mc Queen
I agree
The broker represents the seller in good faith
So how would he know
Sea Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 AM   #34
FF
Guru

"Every time I pull any boat I ever had for the season I pull the drain plug."

SPLENDID advice ,,,, but sadly many boat assemblers do not even list it as an option.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #35
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Every time I pull any boat I ever had for the season I pull the drain plug."

SPLENDID advice ,,,, but sadly many boat assemblers do not even list it as an option.
Only on considerably small craft have I experienced a "drain plug". Good feature though. But - Sure would need to be of a robust nature/build to last in good condition for many decades on older substantially sized classics. Our Tolly turns 40 yrs. in 2017. Many considerably older boats are still floating and cruising.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #36
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Only on considerably small craft have I experienced a "drain plug". Good feature though. But - Sure would need to be of a robust nature/build to last in good condition for many decades on older substantially sized classics.

Really? We've got three. Each needs a fair size (3/8"?) allen key to remove...

Our aft-most bilge compartment can take in rain water through the (un-plumbed) rod-holders... so that's the one we pay most attention when we're on the hard.

Our 34' Mainship III had one, aft, and it was important to remove that rascal while blocked, in case of rain or snow... 'cause that'd all end up in the engine room otherwise.

-Chris
Old 09-23-2016, 09:06 PM   #37
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Really? We've got three. Each needs a fair size (3/8"?) allen key to remove...

Our aft-most bilge compartment can take in rain water through the (un-plumbed) rod-holders... so that's the one we pay most attention when we're on the hard.

Our 34' Mainship III had one, aft, and it was important to remove that rascal while blocked, in case of rain or snow... 'cause that'd all end up in the engine room otherwise.

-Chris
Good for you!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #38
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R View Post
My wife is recovering and we purchased another car today, so now back to the important task. Time to find a Boat. Anyone getting ready to sell their 36' Sabreline aft cabin (I can't afford the Sedan)? Prefer Yanmar or Cummins or Cats in that order. Thanks again for the good thoughts!

Todd
Great to hear your wife is doing better. Happy to hear you have narrowed your boat search down, good luck.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote