Old 07-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #161

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Kokopelli
Vessel Model: Luhrs Alura
We are on the hunt for that small trawler. Agree with the guy who said buy as small as you can live on. We have watched people for years buy larger only to spend less time traveling for various reasons usually somehow related to going bigger. But it a personal choice too.
After buying other boats, I can say that making out a list of needs, must haves, wants (but not deal breakers) and sticking to that list helped us tremendously. Sticking to that list also requires not getting emotional like someone else said. It is a lot easier to love a boat after you have bought it, if it met your list.
So all of that said, anyone know of a small trawler for sale anywhere close to Florida? We have our list ready to check ! ( smile)
dbkoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #162

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
I'm pondering selling my Atlantic 30 and going to a 36 twin cabin. Wife has trouble with ladders. Has galley down, volvo tamd40b with around 1500 hrs, westerbeke genny-1600 hrs, 30 amp service, a/c, navcom a/p, windless, flybridge, older Garmins, lower helm, 30 holding with Y valve, VHF radios, 50 gal water, 200 gal diesel. 6 to 8 knot cruise with 600 mile range. Good bones-needs paint. 35K. Located in South Louisiana-delivery possible(I love to cruise). PM me if interested, I'm a computer dummy.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:45 PM   #163
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkoko View Post
We are on the hunt for that small trawler. Agree with the guy who said buy as small as you can live on. We have watched people for years buy larger only to spend less time traveling for various reasons usually somehow related to going bigger. But it a personal choice too.
After buying other boats, I can say that making out a list of needs, must haves, wants (but not deal breakers) and sticking to that list helped us tremendously. Sticking to that list also requires not getting emotional like someone else said. It is a lot easier to love a boat after you have bought it, if it met your list.
So all of that said, anyone know of a small trawler for sale anywhere close to Florida? We have our list ready to check ! ( smile)
To me deciding on a boat is much like a major systems or consulting project and the place one always starts is by defining requirements as you describe. If you don't define your requirements clearly and separate wants from must haves and don't like from deal killers, then you have nothing against which to compare boats. To do requirements also requires you determining how you intend to use the boat. The businessman side of me led to developing spreadsheets on which we compared against our requirements and actually gave each board a score. When looking at major software in business we considered an 85 to 90% a good score and 95% almost miraculous. However, we knew at 85 to 90% match to our requirements and no serious drop dead misses, we could find ways to work on the other 10 to 15%.

Also when doing serious looking, I've found the first phase after defining your requirements is eliminating a lot of boats. You find those that just have a serious shortcoming. Some things are very important to some people and not to others.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #164

City: Hendersonville
In my search for a boat, would a Toyota 4Runner pull an R23? Or will this be search for a ICW boat and a tow vehicle? Dry weight is 5,000 and 4Runner's limit is 5,000. I have electric breaks. Is this just wishful thinking?
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #165
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Welcome Deshi

Better have really good trailer brakes as well as a vehicle that can easily pull the load. I'd prefer electric brakes... surge brakes at the least
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:03 PM   #166
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshi View Post
In my search for a boat, would a Toyota 4Runner pull an R23? Or will this be search for a ICW boat and a tow vehicle? Dry weight is 5,000 and 4Runner's limit is 5,000. I have electric breaks. Is this just wishful thinking?
Please don't even consider towing a boat who's dry weight equals your vehicles rated tow capacity!

To the dry weight you need to add the weight of fuel, water, options (anchor, inboard adds another 300 lbs to the R23, etc.), personal stuff and about 900 lbs for the trailer. Add this all up and your dry weight of 5,000 lbs can easily become 7,000 - 7,500 lbs!

If you haven't been there yet, there is a great Ranger Tugs community at tugnuts.com

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #167

City: Stuart, Fl
Looking For a Boat

Currently looking for a boat to cruise Bahamas and Keys plus do a little fishing. Have seen an '87 President 37 Convertible that looks interesting. Has twin Lehmans. Anyone familiar with these boats?
fswain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #168
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by fswain View Post
Currently looking for a boat to cruise Bahamas and Keys plus do a little fishing. Have seen an '87 President 37 Convertible that looks interesting. Has twin Lehmans. Anyone familiar with these boats?
Welcome aboard!!! You might get a better response if you start a new thread instead piggybacking onto another.

I am familiar with the Presidents. Typical Taiwanese built boat. Nothing particularly wrong with them. But like any boat of that age, it is all a matter of how well it was cared for and you doing your due diligence to determine that. Good luck!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #169

City: Lutz
My search is ridiculous

yesterday went on another 400 mile trip in Florida to see 2 boats. Stopped in East Ft Myers and looked at a 36ft trawler. It was a mess and stunk of pee. Now down to Naples to see a 41de-fever. It really had the fever all right. the bimini top frame work was all twisted and crumpled in the front yard - the rub rails were banged and dented in 6 places where Irma had hurled her into the pilings. (this after the broker had assured me of no hurricane damage!) Outside was also filthy and had green mold. There were 5 soft spots on deck (which were also there from a Survey done 8 years ago.) Went inside and bilge was full of water to 3 inches above walkway. All windows were leaking to inside of boat and had destroyed inner cabin walls ---we left. This is my 5th 3-400 mile boat looking trip in past 7 weeks. I'm trying to "address the market" as the biz school people say. Most sellers are simply lying. Most sellers are using very old photos. Only one of the 7 boats seen were clean at all and it was a motor yacht with a V-hull and a trawler look on top but advertised as a "trawler"..... when will this madness end??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #170

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkoko View Post
There are 2 Prairie 29 s for sale in port Canaveral FL . Both have the perkins 4-108 engine . One asking 26500 other asking 29000. I like the P 29 but believe it underpowered wit the 4-108. A friend has one with the 80HP 4.356 --it is ideal. Op on here :Sortie has the 29K one other is at a Dealer and you can search for it ok.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #171
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
There are 2 Prairie 29 s for sale in port Canaveral FL . Both have the perkins 4-108 engine . One asking 26500 other asking 29000. I like the P 29 but believe it underpowered wit the 4-108. A friend has one with the 80HP 4.356 --it is ideal. Op on here :Sortie has the 29K one other is at a Dealer and you can search for it ok.
What year, size, style and price level boat are you actually seeking to find/own?

Don't the sellers [private or broker] supply you with plenty of close up photos pre travel for viewing?

You can request close up photos of any portion of the boat you want to clearly see before traveling to review it. Of course, if the seller is not compliant by sending photos... that's your first hint to not pursue that deal.... i.e. move on to the next opportunity.

Are you looking into Craigslist, Yachtworld and other such web links?

Searching for the "correct" boat often takes diligence and time. It is unusual for the "right" boat to simply crop up quickly. Also, when the boat that is in good condition, desired size and style with a price you can work with becomes available... it usually does not last long on the market [sometimes only a day - or less]. Therefore I recommend checking all boat sale links at least once a day; morning and night is better, being ready to make calls or send email immediatly.

Yes, you can say, that to locate the boat you really want to spend money on and "live" with for years one must become somewhat fanatical in their search processes. But after all... most boats do have the soul of a woman... so, to catch the correct one often requires effort and luck!

Good luck!!

Happy Boat Search Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #172
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
yesterday went on another 400 mile trip in Florida to see 2 boats. Stopped in East Ft Myers and looked at a 36ft trawler. It was a mess and stunk of pee. Now down to Naples to see a 41de-fever. It really had the fever all right. the bimini top frame work was all twisted and crumpled in the front yard - the rub rails were banged and dented in 6 places where Irma had hurled her into the pilings. (this after the broker had assured me of no hurricane damage!) Outside was also filthy and had green mold. There were 5 soft spots on deck (which were also there from a Survey done 8 years ago.) Went inside and bilge was full of water to 3 inches above walkway. All windows were leaking to inside of boat and had destroyed inner cabin walls ---we left. This is my 5th 3-400 mile boat looking trip in past 7 weeks. I'm trying to "address the market" as the biz school people say. Most sellers are simply lying. Most sellers are using very old photos. Only one of the 7 boats seen were clean at all and it was a motor yacht with a V-hull and a trawler look on top but advertised as a "trawler"..... when will this madness end??
The boat market is full of junk. And yes, sellers lying and intentionally omitting information, using ten year old pictures, etc.

And let's not get started on the former used car salesman that are now brokering boats.

It's disheartening but just keep looking, be patient and above all don't be in a hurry.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #173

City: Gaine's Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Finding the boat that fits your needs!

We are in the opinion that you look for the boat that fits yours needs. We did our search for over 2 years until we found ours. We are extremely happy with our choice. Not to big and lots of room in the engine compartment.

You must be comfortable in servicing your boat. As you are the one who will have to service it unless you pay for it. It took us over 5 years to really understand and know the boat.

We were so fortunate to have the logs from our previous owner. He stayed with us over 3 weeks in order to make certain we were comfortable in servicing and handling the vessel. We are still in contact with the last original owner who still answer our questions since 2009!

I suggest you consider to buy from the original owner so you get the knowledge from his experience. This is why you pay a fair price to the original owner or you pay less from a broker without knowledge. Trust me you will pay now or you will pay later...

You have to reduce the risk and understand that you are buying unknown or hidden problems that must and will have to be dealt with BEFORE any trip away from boat suppliers... Good luck with your search and take notes in a large black book and a lot of pictures inside and outside the vessel.

Then get to know the owner well in order to refer to him or her when you encounter problems.

You will save yourself so much grief, time and money as I will not be the broker you will provide you a service after the transaction.

This is my two cents advice to anyone buying the vessel of his dream if you do not want to buy a nightmare...
https://realmountie.blogspot.com/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #174

City: Gaine's Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
We are presently in Marsh Harbour, ABACO enjoying the good time! We have a 3 feet and 6 inches draft and we are happy to find anchoring having 3 feet under the keel! So draft WAS a definite requirement to consider in buying our vessel. You may refer to :

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s9/1986-pilgrim-40-hull-28-sale-224-900$-negotiable-effective-april-2nd-2018-a-22302-10.html
https://realmountie.blogspot.com/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #175

City: Santa Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyham View Post
Just a quick "thank you" to everyone who posted here. I'm starting what will likely be a couple of years search for the right boat to do the Great Loop in, and am very grateful for everyone's thoughts on what factors to consider.

I will be doing portions of the Loop solo, so finding the right boat which has the mix of good living space and the ability to be handled by one person is a good challenge. Any ideas or thoughts are most welcome!

Just wanted to provide a quick update, which hopefully can be of help to others. The advice which I received on this forum about chartering a couple of boats before making a decision was excellent advice!

I chartered an American Tug 34 and loved the interior space, but scared myself when trying to maneuver that size of boat around a marina. It was just too big of a boat for me to feel comfortable driving. The next summer I chartered a Ranger 29 Tug and felt so much more comfortable driving that boat.

Of course, for couples, this may be too small of a boat, but for me planning to do the Loop solo, it seems like the perfect boat.

However, my real message here is that the advice I received, to charter boats before purchasing, was very helpful and I would like to pass that along to others.
Smokeyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #176
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeyham View Post
Just wanted to provide a quick update, which hopefully can be of help to others. The advice which I received on this forum about chartering a couple of boats before making a decision was excellent advice!

I chartered an American Tug 34 and loved the interior space, but scared myself when trying to maneuver that size of boat around a marina. It was just too big of a boat for me to feel comfortable driving. The next summer I chartered a Ranger 29 Tug and felt so much more comfortable driving that boat.

Of course, for couples, this may be too small of a boat, but for me planning to do the Loop solo, it seems like the perfect boat.

However, my real message here is that the advice I received, to charter boats before purchasing, was very helpful and I would like to pass that along to others.
So glad it worked out for you. A second lesson for all from your story is that the right boat differs for each of us. You're so right that couples are one thing but you doing the loop solo, you found the perfect boat for you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #177

City: Santa Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
So glad it worked out for you. A second lesson for all from your story is that the right boat differs for each of us. You're so right that couples are one thing but you doing the loop solo, you found the perfect boat for you.
Absolutely right! I have a friend who did the Loop solo in a Ranger 25 Tug. It was the right boat for her, but would be too small for me. We each have our own criteria and going out and trying different boats is a good way to see what really works.
Smokeyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #178

Thanks to all who offered their words of wisdom here. we actually got bogged down in the posts that piggybacked our original post so we forgot to post an update. We found our boat and have been more than pleased with our choice. Thanks to all!!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #179
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
So what did you buy?
Old 05-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #180

We bought a 30' Luhrs Alura. Very Very happy with it. If I could figure out how to post pics here, I would post some.