Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #141
Guru

City: Northport
"It would not be advisable, for Tom, to pilot a boat around the loop with prior experience with the 48 feet vessel if he is planning to take on the adventure.

I do not know about Tom's technical skills of maneuvering a 48 feet boat in and out of tight situations."

Real Mountie,

Based upon my personal experiences owning single diesel 'trawlers; of 34 and 36 feet as well as owning twin engine diesel 'semi planning' hulls of 38, 45 ,45 and 47 feet I find the ability to maneuver much easier in tight situations with the twin engine boats. This also holds true for higher wind and current situations as well as for a larger vessel being more sea kindly. I found no large difference in fuel consumption at lower hulls speeds (6 to 7 mph) between the single diesels and the larger twins but the singles were much older designs which likely affected the fuel efficiency. Based upon my experiences with owning these boats I would also favor a boat that was able to plane if/as necessary to assist with currents, weather windows and the potential of illness or other time sensitive requirements - you can always go slower on these vessels and enjoy similar mpg as you choose. The quoted difference in interior space between a 'trawler' and 'other' types of boats was not something that I experienced either as the Pilothouse designs of the 45 and 47 boats offered much more space and a safer place to operate from under adverse conditions and for docking and locking.

Separately but related - Good luck with the sale of your 40' Pilgrim trawler. I am sure you will miss it after these past 7 years of use and cruising.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 PM   #142

City: Gaine's Marina
Vessel Name: REAL MOUNTIE
Vessel Model: 1986 PILGRIM 40 HULL No 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
"It would not be advisable, for Tom, to pilot a boat around the loop with prior experience with the 48 feet vessel if he is planning to take on the adventure.

I do not know about Tom's technical skills of maneuvering a 48 feet boat in and out of tight situations."

Real Mountie,

Based upon my personal experiences owning single diesel 'trawlers; of 34 and 36 feet as well as owning twin engine diesel 'semi planning' hulls of 38, 45 ,45 and 47 feet I find the ability to maneuver much easier in tight situations with the twin engine boats. This also holds true for higher wind and current situations as well as for a larger vessel being more sea kindly. I found no large difference in fuel consumption at lower hulls speeds (6 to 7 mph) between the single diesels and the larger twins but the singles were much older designs which likely affected the fuel efficiency. Based upon my experiences with owning these boats I would also favor a boat that was able to plane if/as necessary to assist with currents, weather windows and the potential of illness or other time sensitive requirements - you can always go slower on these vessels and enjoy similar mpg as you choose. The quoted difference in interior space between a 'trawler' and 'other' types of boats was not something that I experienced either as the Pilothouse designs of the 45 and 47 boats offered much more space and a safer place to operate from under adverse conditions and for docking and locking.

Separately but related - Good luck with the sale of your 40' Pilgrim trawler. I am sure you will miss it after these past 7 years of use and cruising.

Hello smitty477, thank you for your kind wishes and for sharing your personal experiences. I hope this Will help Tom. Kindest regards! Normand
https://realmountie.blogspot.com/
REAL MOUNTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #143

City: williams bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at doing the loop in '18. We will be switching from sail to power. Our dream is an American or Nordic Tug but the prices might be too high for our comfort level.

So, we have done endless boat searches on Yachtworld.....we are looking for a trawler/tug style boat in the 34-36 foot range - we do not want a v-berth (had enough of that with our sailboat). We are uncertain about a flybridge and would like a full fridge (although hubby can make modifications for this after purchase).

We are Canadian so we have to keep that in mind as exchange for us right now is 30% + so in the 100,000 US range would be ok...

Have checked out all the usual suspects, Grand Banks, CHB, Marine Trader, Mainship (great but too much money).

Older doesn't scare us as we love the wood and hubby is a mechanic.

So....all boat model suggestions are welcome
Hi, My name is Kevin. I'm starting a search for a Trawler in the 30' to 34" range. How is your search going? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
ouisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #144
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouisconsin View Post
Hi, My name is Kevin. I'm starting a search for a Trawler in the 30' to 34" range. How is your search going? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
My suggestion:

30 to 40' Tollycraft. Real good boats... sedan or tri cabin. Search YachtWorld.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #145
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
BandB,
I have a question that you are likely to have encountered having taken a larger boat on the loop. My boat is 52' x 16' with an airdraft of 26' not including antennae. To get the airdraft lower would mean cutting the radar arch to the height of the bridge deck handrail which would put it at about 17'. I am reluctant to do that so I wonder if you had devised a workaround on your larger boat.. Perhaps an alternate route?
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #146
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
BandB,
I have a question that you are likely to have encountered having taken a larger boat on the loop. My boat is 52' x 16' with an airdraft of 26' not including antennae. To get the airdraft lower would mean cutting the radar arch to the height of the bridge deck handrail which would put it at about 17'. I am reluctant to do that so I wonder if you had devised a workaround on your larger boat.. Perhaps an alternate route?
There is no route that you can go over 19'. At your height you'd have to go up the East Coast, around and then come down the St. Lawrence and you still would be stuck at Chicago. Even the canals are 20-22' limits at various bridges.

So, go to someone like Pipewelders and they've converted many arches over the years so they would hinge. There are a number of different ways to hinge it, keep it functional and make it easy to lift and drop.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #147
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I know a GB52 where the owners had the arch (or maybe mast) hinged to fit under a particular bridge, it was hydraulically powered. Clipper 40s, which I think sell in USA as Mariners, have a hinged arch,possibly an option, not all have it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #148
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
I know a GB52 where the owners had the arch (or maybe mast) hinged to fit under a particular bridge, it was hydraulically powered. Clipper 40s, which I think sell in USA as Mariners, have a hinged arch,possibly an option, not all have it.
I've seen several GB with it, a Marlow, many Hatteras.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 PM   #149
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	61781Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	61782

I'm not sure a folding arch would be practical for me. The rib would have to be towed and the fixed pipe frame for the Bimini would have to be removed and I don't have a practical place to store it.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #150
Guru

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0632.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	61783
This is a better pic of the Bimini frame.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:12 PM   #151
Guru

You say you're at 26' now which includes the electronics. What is your height to just the top of the arch?
Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #152
Guru

I believe right at 20'. I will have to check again. My memory sucks.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #153
Guru

Quote:
I believe right at 20'. I will have to check again. My memory sucks.
Well, the hope is that it comes in closer to 19' that 20' and if it does, then an alternate solution exists. That is to have a separate electronics arch that is hydraulically controlled and can be lowered. Depending on height another option is to put a thin plate under the electronics and have hydraulic arms and it will slide back and lower. It might not be in your price range of what you want to pay but I'm sure there's a solution out there.

Also, if it meant carrying the RIB on the swim platform, that would only be in the canals where you're going slow and then from Chicago to your first stop on the Illinois river.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:05 PM   #154
Guru

Well I measured it today and the arch only is 18'8" above w/l the rest is the electronics structure. So, if I can temporarily move them, would that get me through all bridges except the downtown Chicago route?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #155
Guru

Quote:
Well I measured it today and the arch only is 18'8" above w/l the rest is the electronics structure. So, if I can temporarily move them, would that get me through all bridges except the downtown Chicago route?
Yes, and allow you to take the alternate Chicago route. Amazing how much height our electronics add.

I say, yes, but it doesn't allow the western Erie route or Champlain, means you have to go Erie to Oswego Canal to Lake Ontario. However, it does allow you to make the complete loop.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 AM   #156
Guru

Well, I am about to leave for what I thought would be a half loop, up the Atlantic side only. After talking with my crew, we are going to head up into the lakes and if all goes well we will slide south on the rivers. I am in the process of replacing my autopilot, as soon as it's done we are heading east along the Gulf Coast.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:39 AM   #157
Guru

Quote:
Well, I am about to leave for what I thought would be a half loop, up the Atlantic side only. After talking with my crew, we are going to head up into the lakes and if all goes well we will slide south on the rivers. I am in the process of replacing my autopilot, as soon as it's done we are heading east along the Gulf Coast.
What are you planning to do to lower your electronics?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:48 AM   #158
Guru

Unbolt them when we need to. I will need to exit at the Oswego Canal but that is not an issue. I have a good friend who lives in Rochester so I will likely stop there for a week and reinstall there. Then remove again in Chicago and reinstall once past the low bridges. We won't be doing the Trent Severn or the Canadian Canals (at least not this trip).
Old 02-22-2017, 02:27 PM   #159
Guru

Quote:
Unbolt them when we need to. I will need to exit at the Oswego Canal but that is not an issue. I have a good friend who lives in Rochester so I will likely stop there for a week and reinstall there. Then remove again in Chicago and reinstall once past the low bridges. We won't be doing the Trent Severn or the Canadian Canals (at least not this trip).
You'll be taking the general path we took. Definitely the cheaper path toward reducing the height. Hope it's not too difficult. Take photos before undoing any wiring. You can't see everything regardless of which path you take.

If you take the Erie all the way you miss Lake Ontario. So, taking this route you miss the western part of the Erie. You can't get both in one trip. We never felt a loss based on the route we had to take.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #160
FF
Guru

"My boat is 52' x 16' with an airdraft of 26' not including antennae"

Purchase a 26 ft Bayliner IO for under $5K, run the loop and enjoy your big boat again in 3-6 months..

Round trip should be near ZERO.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote