Boat/RV Furniture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Hi Guys!!

Just got*finished reupholstering our salon barrel chairs!!** Seeing as how I spent 35 bucks on the fabric, and it took just a few hours to complete, now we're thinking of blowing all of that savings and getting a new sofa sooner rather than later.** We want one of those cool RV convertible sofas that flatten out like a futon does, but looks like a sofa.* We don't want a traditional fold out sofa,* our salon isn't big enough for that.

Does anyone know of any good sources for these FlexSteel RV sofas, or another source for something like this?* All of my searches lead me back to discount rv truck and van's web site.

Thanks in advance for the help!!* Wanted to check before we make a purchase!

Bess

The usual low buck RV method is to visit Elkhart and purchase a new take out, or mfg overstock.

Hi Bess,
Any pictures of your upholstery job!

Hi Susan!!* Soon!!* I wanted to take the pics in the salon.* Currently the chairs are in my dining room at home!* I had started just making "fitted" slip covers, but they sucked...so I took the chairs completely apart and reupholstered.** I hate slip covers...and mine weren't any better/worse than store bought.*

I'm backing off the RV sofa, and I'm going to go with a convertible futon/sofa (I think) from Target or Walmart.* This way, the Duke can make a storage platform for easy access to tools and such.
wink.gif

Bess, just saw a great selection of futons in Big Lots in Greenville, next to ECU campus. Find a store in a college neighborhood, esp this time of year, and the selection will be great.

ARoss wrote:
Bess, just saw a great selection of futons in Big Lots in Greenville, next to ECU campus. Find a store in a college neighborhood, esp this time of year, and the selection will be great.
*The Duke can go up to DUKE and look around.

All of Raleigh is a college neighborhood :-D

GonzoF1 wrote:
All of Raleigh is a college neighborhood :-D
*Wrong one though.

Touche`*JD!!* * ;-)*** He should have said all of the Triangle!* :)***

ok ok ok..... any more college rivalry talk needs to go to OTDE!

Hey! I'm the moderator (deputy sheriff) 'round these parts and *I* will decide where the talk will go ;-)
*writes Al's name down as a trouble maker*

convertible futon/sofa

UGH!

For a futon to be comfortable it MUST be rolled up , to regain its fluf, AFTER EVERY USE.

Might be unique in a salon living with a 3 ft high sausage 5 ft wide!

ARoss wrote:ok ok ok..... any more college rivalry talk needs to go to OTDE!
*Lighten up Al!

*puts Tom on Double-Secret Probation*

Cheese, JD!**
biggrin.gif

It was s'posed to be a joke. I'm lightened as it gets out here.

ARoss wrote:
Cheese, JD!**
biggrin.gif

It was s'posed to be a joke. I'm lightened as it gets out here.
*Good to know.* I didn't think that Chocowinity had gotten to you.* I was gonna suggest that you go on down to Vera's in Vanceborro and get some lunch.
wink.gif

Delia Rosa wrote:
Hi Bess, Any pictures of your upholstery job!
*Hi Susan!!* Pictures of our newly reupholstered barrel chairs!!* While not "perfect" they only cost me 35.00 bucks in material and 26.00 for those striped pillows!* A pro job was going to be a minimum of 275.00 per chair.* And you know what new ones cost.* Also a picture of our new 100.00 futon.* While not as comfortable as the sofa, it sure leaves lots of room for stuffing stuff under neath it!!

Attachments

• barrel chairs.jpg
    barrel chairs.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 157
  • salon.jpg
    salon.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 113
Great job Bess..... and they look pretty perfect to me!!

Hey, that looks like a very comfy space to me. The futon is well shaped and orderly looking.....unlike many I've seen. The futon we had up to a year or so ago was actually more comfortable than the sofa we replaced it with....especially in the heat. Down hear in Miami, we have to add that heat element to everything......furniture, curtains, hull color, stripes, etc.. Everything, color, material, padding....it all has an affect on cooling the cabin and/or the person sitting in the cabin, especially with padding materials that don't breathe or tend to hold body heat. Very slowly, we have been converting our interior to a cooler environment, but involving mostly material changes.

Thanks Guys!! I'm pretty happy with how cozy it is.* Next project, *sun shades for the windows!* :)*

Next project, sun shades for the windows! :)

Google "warm shades" these are insulated and insulation works summer and winter.

Neat Concept "warm shades"!** But I am doing exterior Sunbrella shades.* Got two of them done last night.* (the forward side triangle windows)* Front windshield is all cut out and ready for sewing tonight.** Hoping to get them installed this weekend!!

Besslb wrote:
Neat Concept "warm shades"!** But I am doing exterior Sunbrella shades.* Got two of them done last night.* (the forward side triangle windows)* Front windshield is all cut out and ready for sewing tonight.** Hoping to get them installed this weekend!!
*Bess, you are amazing!* If Tom doesn't appreciate you enough, we need to talk.
biggrin.gif

Besslb wrote:
*How are you attaching them to the boat?

<q>*How are you attaching them to the boat?</q>

-- Edited by GonzoF1 on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 10:50:54 AM

:-D ... Actually, we have a tool we bought from Sailrite that makes quick work of installing snaps on fabric. The other part of the snap will be screwed to the fiberglass/gelcoat. Easy - breezy!

The other part of the snap will be screwed to the fiberglass/gelcoat. Easy - breezy!

Remember to use a goop under eacg screw , even 5200 would do, to keep the laminate from getting water inside.

Thanks Don!!* I'm having a blast with my projects.* One more panel to make tonight, and we'll install them this weekend.* I'll take more pictures!** After windows coverings, I'll start patterning for a flybridge surround.* I hope that turns out as easy as the rest of these projects!*

**one more for the front windowshield.* I still have to do the side windows.* Forgot about those!

-- Edited by Besslb on Thursday 18th of August 2011 04:35:04 AM

And *I* am doing a sunshade for the bow :)

Thanks Fred... For sure I'll use 3M 4000 or 4200. 5200 WAY too strong for this application. I've been told to ONLY use 5200 below the waterline, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom