Old 10-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
How about the Nova Sundeck that went out of production but was brought back due to consumer demand?
Like "Star Trek" in the 60's

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Pascoe is a terrific resource as long as one keeps in mind his extremely high bias. But as long as he sticks to boating his opinions and observations are well worth reading. (He's ventured into aviation a couple of times and his observations and conclusions were laughable at best and downright ignorant at worst.)

Since he tends toward the negative side on almost everything that I've read of his, his views are a great way to amass "what to look for" lists for the type of boat one is interested in. But I would never take Pascoe as gospel. Like doctors, best to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"But I would never take Pascoe as gospel. Like doctors, best to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion.'

Pascoe is a better place to start learning than the sales brochures of boat assemblers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"But I would never take Pascoe as gospel. Like doctors, best to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion.'

Pascoe is a better place to start learning than the sales brochures of boat assemblers.
The sales brochures and marketing material are a great place to start because they give the boat's specs, attributes, and features that will help you determine if the boat even meets your needs. Of course it's all going to be positive which is to be expected. But armed with what the boat is supposed to be you can then start getting the broader picture of what it actually is fom the Pascoes of the world, other owners, reviews, "hearsay" from boat forums, and so on.

But if your only exposure to the reputation of the boat is from Pascoe, who in my observation thinks pretty much every boat on the planet sucks in one way or another unless it meets his extremely narrow view of what's good you're going to be making your own decision without the benefit of all sides of the equation.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Art
Guru

IMHO

Best to do to gain access for broad “opinions”... 1st / 2nd hand whatever..., in addition to reading printed lit on boats/engines/etc, is come to TF and/or other forums and ask questions. Then listen/read well; discern who/what you think is truthful and make your best judged opinion from all the info combined. Only other way I know is to be in a situation yourself and have personally learned the experience. The folks who offer "opinions" usually have gained their knowledge from years/decades of personal experience and watching/listening-to others. Reason the web is so great a place to find info is because NO ONE person knows it all about anything – boats very much included. But on the web - - > Sum culmination of everyone's experience is greater than the parts!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
IMHO

Best to do to gain access for broad “opinions”... 1st / 2nd hand whatever..., in addition to reading printed lit on boats/engines/etc, is come to TF and/or other forums and ask questions. Then listen/read well; discern who/what you think is truthful and make your best judged opinion from all the info combined. Only other way I know is to be in a situation yourself and have personally learned the experience. The folks who offer "opinions" usually have gained their knowledge from years/decades of personal experience and watching/listening-to others. Reason the web is so great a place to find info is because NO ONE person knows it all about anything – boats very much included. But on the web - - > Sum culmination of everyone's experience is greater than the parts!
Very well put Art

Overall I've received my best interactive general boating advice at TF. That stated it has played about an honest 5 to maybe 10% tops total of our decision as to what is best for us. You don't have to be a member of a forum to learn a lot from one. Discernment of information is the most important thing about on-line wisdom.

Better still is to get on the water or walk the docks and make observations. Ask questions then make sure you shut up and listen to the answers. Climb on boats and look in the bilge. First thing I look at is the engine room, it really tells the entire story if you listen to what it wants to tell you about the boat and PO. Next is the plumbing and electrical.

The appeal of TF to me at least is the broad range of the participant members. Yachts to dinghy's, full time live aboard to trailer boats and dang near everything in between it seems. Check writing to DIY, the options are truly limitless and all the different members add to the brew for best advice. What's best for one is dead wrong for another and vice-versa.

The single best source of boat information to this point has been my wife. She doesn't know port from starboard and frankly can care less about the difference. However she does know what she likes and dislikes and ultimately that is what's most important to us. Not the brand name on the registration.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
However she does know what she likes and dislikes and ultimately that is what's most important to us.
We could fill a thread on how important the Admiral's likes and dislikes might be in decision making, boat or otherwise. On the other hand, maybe its so self evident that no discussion is necessary.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #28
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Very well put Art

The single best source of boat information to this point has been my wife. She doesn't know port from starboard and frankly can care less about the difference. However she does know what she likes and dislikes and ultimately that is what's most important to us. Not the brand name on the registration.
TY... and get it on Craig!

A good/great wife is a best source, in the short and long run. I'm sure you two will do fine in "Boat World"!!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #29
FF
Guru

"But armed with what the boat is supposed to be you can then start getting the broader picture of what it actually is"

I am afraid the brochure will give the ADD dept view of what the boat be "perfect" for , rather than the NA that designed the boat.

Selling a boat is selling a DREAM (that's why paint, not construction) sells Da Boat.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote