Boat Pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've only had our Timmy's for about a year, so I'm not sure how they used to be. I will say that it has replaced Dunkin' as my go to morning junk food and coffee joint.

Wait... What thread is this again?

Well, there was a picture of a carton of TimBits on a boat.

Well, there was a picture of a carton of TimBits on a boat.

They were only the small lowly centers. Distant cousins of a proper doughnut

Attachments

• deck.jpg
    deck.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 193
We put on kilos touring Canada by car, stopping for morning coffee at Tim Hortons. Donuts were good, the less said about the coffee the better.

I was struck by the difference 60-70 years makes in cruiser style. These two boats are doing the same thing, cruising the same waters. They anchored in the same spot a few days apart....

The old Monk seems a pretty comfortable way to travel, the DD seems (to me) a "Land Cruiser to the corner for milk" kind of massive overkill.....

Oldcruiser.jpg

DDanchors.jpg

Huh. I see they're asking £185,000 for that Cheoy Lee 55. Dolphin Yachts. 1980.

I was struck by the difference 60-70 years makes in cruiser style. These two boats are doing the same thing, cruising the same waters. They anchored in the same spot a few days apart....

The old Monk seems a pretty comfortable way to travel, the DD seems (to me) a "Land Cruiser to the corner for milk" kind of massive overkill.....

View attachment 43184

View attachment 43185

When I look at these two boats and imagine their associated systems, I can't help but wonder which one costs more to maintain.

Very very good question Larry,

And soooo many variables.

All kinds of things like electric v/s mechanical heads, almost no electronic v/s lots, cheap effective bottom paint v/s very expensive so so paint and electronic mini furnaces v/s oil stove heaters.

As to the question probably not much difference. Things costing more for old boats ballanced by things costing less on newer boats and the other way around. And complicated expensive things that cost a lot not even present on older boats. Regular oil based paint much improved but all new two part coatings as well. Boats are much like cars too. Newer cars much more complicated and expensive to repair when something goes wrong but much less goes wrong. Same w boats.

For all except navigational electronics much of the old boat and new boat comparison finds them more the same than different.

I don't know if newer boats or older boats cost more to maintain. It's hard to compare the boats w/o considering the huge difference in fuel and moorage costs. But if costs were compared adjusting the dollar value to hours worked at the different times to show how many working hours would be required for X amount of maintance ....... then we't know much better.

Very very good question Larry,

And soooo many variables.

All kinds of things like electric v/s mechanical heads, almost no electronic v/s lots, cheap effective bottom paint v/s very expensive so so paint and electronic mini furnaces v/s oil stove heaters.

As to the question probably not much difference. Things costing more for old boats ballanced by things costing less on newer boats and the other way around. And complicated expensive things that cost a lot not even present on older boats. Regular oil based paint much improved but all new two part coatings as well. Boats are much like cars too. Newer cars much more complicated and expensive to repair when something goes wrong but much less goes wrong. Same w boats.

For all except navigational electronics much of the old boat and new boat comparison finds them more the same than different.

I don't know if newer boats or older boats cost more to maintain. It's hard to compare the boats w/o considering the huge difference in fuel and moorage costs. But if costs were compared adjusting the dollar value to hours worked at the different times to show how many working hours would be required for X amount of maintance ....... then we't know much better.

Well put Eric.

I believe classic boats will require same basic dollar cost as newer boats so long as all work is sub contracted on each. However, due to simplicities in general maintenance of the classics the dollar cost can be reduced by owner and crew self-efforts. Newer boats will have repairs/maintenance to expensive "new" computerized systems (of all sorts) that require costly outside sources brought in.

Art,
One big difference in favor of the FG new or newer boat very little painting will be required untill the gelcoat goes south. Willy's topsides are still OK but the cabin will soon be all painted. At that point it's basically the same as wood as long as one can arrange to paint the wood when it's dry.

Last edited:
Mark - That boat does look like your nice boat's nice daddy!!!

Yeah, like little brother or illegitimate daughter. The Coot is about the largest I feel comfortable running single-handed. :dance:

A new (to me) one came in last night, gone again this morning.....Really big, really steel... New Pacific

Newpacificsm.jpg

Another of ASD on our way to a weekend party last weekend. Looks like the Admiral is starting early!

Attachments

• 20150724_142706.jpg
    20150724_142706.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 98
Sad to see the Master needing a coat of paint, is she headed for yet another restoration?

A new (to me) one came in last night, gone again this morning.....Really big, really steel... New Pacific

View attachment 43369

Geeze, Tad.....you're killing me here. I bet less than one out of 100 boats I see here I'd even want to take a photo of. They seem to be pulling up your driveway. The house next to yours isn't for rent, by chance? Sitting out on my deck and watching these kind of vessels go buy would be simply wonderful.

I might have trouble backing that one into my covered slip. ?

Geeze, Tad.....you're killing me here. I bet less than one out of 100 boats I see here I'd even want to take a photo of. They seem to be pulling up your driveway. The house next to yours isn't for rent, by chance? Sitting out on my deck and watching these kind of vessels go buy would be simply wonderful.

This is the busy time, most are heading south....Actually many pictures are taken out my office window, some are taken on the water morning or evening. The heavy traffic is distracting, I pull the blinds to get some work done.......Today they're lined up to get in the bay...For the next ten months we'll see perhaps one new boat a week.

Oh ya we're upstairs from the Silva Bay Inn Gabriola Island - Vancouver Island Tourism BC rooms for rent year round......

Back
Top Bottom