Old 10-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #101
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
And yes we have temporarily financed about 60% of our boats purchase price. Horrors, we used our home equity line (house is paid off and this is about 10% of the appraised value). We will pay that off with the next two quarterly dividends from our family owned bank.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #102
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
6% doesn't even get property managers to start their car here!
Mine is 5%.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #103
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Mine is 5%.
Art should switch to your property manager. Just a little long distance management.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #104
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I really love the “cash only” folks out there. I really love their discipline.

Myself, if it were not for financing I probably would not own anything of high value. That is not bad or good it is just a fact.

The idea of buying what I wanted TODAY, and enjoying it TODAY started in my 20’s, and had worked very well for us.

Now in my 50’s I have a yard full of previously financed stuff. I won’t go into explicit details, but a bunch of vehicles of varying shapes, sizes, capabilities. All previously financed, all now paid off.

The last one to pay off is my nice boat, which was yes financed, but that is coming to a end, as retirement is looming.

For me/us the concept of waiting till I saved the tens and in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars up to buy something just was not going to happen.

frankly my attention span is not that long, and credit is easy to get.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #105
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I didn't get my first permanent full time job until I was 32, choosing to work short contract jobs and spend the rest of my time traveling, going to art schools, photography school, hiking/climbing trips, and going on long sea kayak expeditions.

Experience and memories were more important than stuff or things.

Because of this, and because my wife is a stay at home Mom, we had to be careful with our money. We bought the boat we could afford at the time, with cash. We also didn't even think about buying a boat until my wife's car accident ended our sea kayaking and we felt a deep need to get our young daughter out into the north coast wilderness we loved.

On your last day, with your last breaths, your memory bank will be far more important than your bank account or the things you bought in Life.

I could work until the age of 67 for a full pension, but I'm leaving at 60 with a reduced pension.

So, I guess I haven't changed much over the years, eh?
Old 10-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #106
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The only thing more absurd than bragging what your boat is...... is how you paid for it.

Most people love their boat so it's only natural to brag how they figured out how to acquire it.

What works for some doesn't work for others.....

Who cares?....well who should.....

Either you know how to handle your finances or you don't..... the boat is only one part of ones overall financial life.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #107
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The only thing more absurd than bragging what your boat is...... is how you paid for it.

Most people love their boat so it's only natural to brag how they figured out how to acquire it.

What works for some doesn't work for others.....

Who cares?....well who should.....

Either you know how to handle your finances or you don't..... the boat is only one part of ones overall financial life.
Well said.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #108
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Not so much bragging as sharing stories, me-thinks.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #109
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Of course folks brag about their boat. Not one person will say, ‘Buying this boat was a mistake.’
I tell folks, I pay for this boat by gun running, drug smuggle and sneaking women into the country. I do all this without leaving the dock. Of course no one believes me. Aren’t I lucky. LOL
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #110
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
It has nothing to do with discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I really love the “cash only” folks out there. I really love their discipline.

Myself, if it were not for financing I probably would not own anything of high value. That is not bad or good it is just a fact.

The idea of buying what I wanted TODAY, and enjoying it TODAY started in my 20’s, and had worked very well for us.

Now in my 50’s I have a yard full of previously financed stuff. I won’t go into explicit details, but a bunch of vehicles of varying shapes, sizes, capabilities. All previously financed, all now paid off.

The last one to pay off is my nice boat, which was yes financed, but that is coming to a end, as retirement is looming.

For me/us the concept of waiting till I saved the tens and in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars up to buy something just was not going to happen.

frankly my attention span is not that long, and credit is easy to get.

I could have easily paid cash for or current boat, bur that would have been silly. Since buying the boat, three years Shi. my stock portfolio is up nearly 50 percent. Had I taken money out of investments I would have had to pay minimally 15% your capital gains. And I would have foregone being fully invested. So now I am paying off the bost monthly for a cost of3.5%.

Call me stupid, but paying cash seems like a losing proposition. How many of you who pay cash keep your money in cash? Paying cash seems penny wise and pound foolish. Debt is a tool. Wise people use it to create more money.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #111
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
Yep, my favorite text from a tenant (young lady) "Help Mr. Charles, my bathroom is broken". I replied "can you be a bit more specific, ie is there water on the floor?". She said no, when I push the toilet flush handle nothing happens. Easy fix.

When we start the LOOP next Oct I will turn my 17 properties over to a Property Manager for 7% of gross rents (already agreed).

If tenants are calling you about bathrooms broken, you either have the wrong tenants or haven't trained them.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #112
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
I have friends who have everything they own mortgaged to the hilt in order to invest in commercial real estate. The have been doing it for 20 years now successfully. I haven't done it because of the percieved risk involved. But fter witnessing their financial success, I'm starting to think I have missed the boat , so to speak.

I could argue that's a crap shoot. Commercial property over the years has been feast or famine. If one is lucky, they do well, if not, they go broke.

Been there... not for me. But fortunately the business I sold created the commercial property lease so I was golden as long as he didn't fail. The other commercial properties I had were extremely high risk.

No, you didn't miss the boat.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #113
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I could have easily paid cash for or current boat, bur that would have been silly. Since buying the boat, three years Shi. my stock portfolio is up nearly 50 percent. Had I taken money out of investments I would have had to pay minimally 15% your capital gains. And I would have foregone being fully invested. So now I am paying off the bost monthly for a cost of3.5%.

Call me stupid, but paying cash seems like a losing proposition. How many of you who pay cash keep your money in cash? Paying cash seems penny wise and pound foolish. Debt is a tool. Wise people use it to create more money.

I'll call you stupid.... but really don't mean it..... . Need some humor occasionally.

Nothing totally wrong with consumer debt, but I could argue strongly against it for a number of reasons. First, being it's high risk, and most of us don't like risk even though we could take our dollars and get better returns elsewhere.

I could argue there's a reason to keep money in cash and that's for opportunity to make a quick deal and that's where a LOT of money is made.

Sure debt is a tool, but only when it offers you the risk you want and some benefit of a profit. Toys do not produce profit.

And there's a way around capital gains and other taxes.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #114
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Art should switch to your property manager. Just a little long distance management.
Onsite ingoing and departing tenant inspections might be a tad expensive from here.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #115

City: Punta Gorda
We always pay cash for what we can afford & own outright. Of course, this means we will probably never own that Nordhavn.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #116

City: Sacramento, CA
Vessel Name: Brave Duck
Vessel Model: 1988 Lord Nelson Victory Tug
Several years ago I spoke to the underwriting VP at BoatUS. I was surprised when he told me that 85% of their policyholders were financed. That was before the 2008 crash during which many boats got repossessed.
Pdeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #117
Guru

City: Phoenix, AZ
Vessel Name: Enigma
Vessel Model: 1997 Wellcraft Excel 26 SE
Technically a mortgage is a security instrument (document) for a loan on Real Property. The definition of Real Property goes back to English Common law and involves land usually with a building. And not all US states use a mortgage to secure a home loan. Many states (like AZ) use a Trust Deed. So there is no mortgage at all, even though many people still say they have a mortgage on their home. In reality they do not.

With that said, my first two boats had a long term boat loans. (Over 3 years) My current boat I got a loan because I was a bit short at the time of purchase. Paid it off in under 6 months. And under US tax laws the interest was deductible as a second home for vessel #2 & #3.

My next boat will be a live aboard trawler type of vessel and at this point I have enough cash to buy it with no loan. However my trigger point will be closer to retirement.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #118

City: St Simons Island
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Model: 1993 Ocean Alexander 390 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
That's rough. Happy to pay my union dues
My union dues worked right up until the time the company threw our contract out and the bankruptcy court took it all away.

Found out the in the good ole US of A a contract ain’t worth the paper it’s written on.

The good new is we have a great boat and are enjoying life. It was a 70% loan.
390 Sundeck
jreekree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #119
Veteran Member

City: Dark Harbor Maine
Vessel Name: SOU'WESTER
Vessel Model: Hinckley Talaria 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
This is to find out how many boaters own their boat[s] outright or have a mortgage to pay.

And... is the mortgage is above or below 50% of boat value.

I'm the first... Every boat we ever purchased is a 100% cash deal, i.e. bought and paid for. Wife and I are the same way with everything we own!

I always pay cash for mine and not afraid to do some cosmetic work on the right find. Also, always go for the thorough sea trial. Try EVERYTHING out. Expect to lose money on the deal, but enjoy the ride as long as you can!!!

Personally, I never rent. No matter how tempting or inexpensive. Some do and that is ok for them, but not for me. No judgement.

However, I would never, ever rent one while I own one. I would also never borrow one from a friend, especially without permission!!

Wait, uh, was topic wives or boats?

🍿
OCEANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #120
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
The idea that it is disadvantageous that because the IRS standard deduction for a married couple is $24,000 obviating itemizing and lessening the "value" of a loan interest deduction is misplaced. Let me demonstrate with a simple question. What would you rather have, $20,000 of itemized deductions or a $24,000 standard deduction? Remember, too, that the tax benefit is only the marginal benefit of the amount in excess of the standard deduction so, under the old law (generally) one would need at least $12,000 or thereabouts of interest before getting any benefit. At a 5% interest rate on a ten-year note, to incur $12,000 average per year interest, one would need to borrow about $200,000. All this assumes no other itemized deductions.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote