Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #1
Guru

Boat overturns in Cape Cod Canal

Yet another example of an inexperienced boater risking other people's lives.
12 people on an 18ft boat overturns in the CC Canal. One child in hospital having been saved unconscious from under vessel. Others fortunate to be alive.

9 kids, 3 adults rescued after boat overturns on Buzzards Bay

Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Cleveland
[QUOTE=Chrisjs;577208]Yet another example of an inexperienced boater risking other people's lives.

Agree 100%. I do hope the little one makes a full recovery!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers.

H.

hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Somebody needs to go to jail for willful reckless endangerment of minors.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Yikes I hate reading about stuff like this. Its amazing just how reckless some people can be on the water. I'm so glad nobody died.
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers
We have a little bay beach we go to with the RIB so our dog can swim. As we are sitting there watching the boats go by, it was amazing how the boats with the most people seemed to be the ones the most poorly operated, one boat towing two kids and a boat load of people actually towed the kids through the bridge and for a few minutes I was getting the raft ready just in case as the current had the boat sideways from the current at the bridge.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: I know we all feel sorry for the parents, but they caused it to happen. This wasn't some unpreventable accident for their child. This was irresponsible action and reckless disregard for human life, most critically, the life of their child. I know when they read words like this from others it will be painful and hate that they will suffer such pain but we must make the point so others don't do the same.

It is reckless endangerment and nothing in the world that will undue the tragic result of it. I have very mixed feelings on what should be done. Charge them? Send them to jail? They surely have learned a lesson or otherwise aren't teachable, but jail time only takes them away from others who need them. Yet, how else to we impress the point upon others? I think they should be banned from boating. Maybe have to take training, speak to groups. I don't know. I just know that children are such precious gifts and there's a lot more birthing done than there is true parenting. Things like this really me off. 12 people, 18 foot boat. What possesses someone to do something so stupid? So dangerous? I would think they were trying to give the kids a good time, but one may be dead and eight other children and three adults scarred terribly for life.

Oh, and Massachusetts doesn't even think adults need a boating license or to complete a course. Convinced yet? No, a course doesn't prevent stupidity but maybe five minutes on safe loads or conditions or something might occasionally save a life. Way too many lives lost at a sport we all love. I try to be compassionate but I'm so angry when reading something like this. I don't know the people involved, maybe the nicest people ever, maybe in terrible pain today. However, there's a responsibility that comes with having a child or taking the children of others.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #7
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I think I know how this sort of thing happens. Bubba buys a 16- or 18-foot boat. Invites a relative or friend out for a ride. But a crowd of relatives and friends show up. Bubba can't say "no", and doesn't fully comprehend the risks.

I have some opinions on requiring boater safety education, but this is not the time or place to air them. I'm hoping we can avoid going down that rabbit-hole.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the hospitalized toddler. It doesn't sound good, but I'm hoping for the best.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
JLD

City: Maryland
Looks like a bowrider. Can't image squeezing 12 people onto a boat this size, even if 9 of them are kids!

Guessing that the hospitalize child maybe is a near drowning? Only good thing about this incident is that the hospitalize child was wearing a life jacket. Hope he/she has a speedy recovery.

Fortunately, there were no fatalities.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLD View Post
Looks like a bowrider. Can't image squeezing 12 people onto a boat this size, even if 9 of them are kids!

Guessing that the hospitalize child maybe is a near drowning? Only good thing about this incident is that the hospitalize child was wearing a life jacket. Hope he/she has a speedy recovery.

Fortunately, there were no fatalities.

Jim
The hospitalized child was under the overturned hull and it had at least been long enough for a diver to come, get ready to dive and then dive. The question is did the child have an air pocket or was the child's head in water. The child was unconscious. The odds can't be good on the child but you just hope the child beats the odds in terms of survival and brain damage.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Nottingham, NH
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Cape Dory Trawler 28 #18
Obviously overloaded, inexperienced operator in a very dangerous stretch of water. Over my many years on Cape Cod waterways, I have found that the area where this occurred is hands down the most dangerous I've ever encountered. A combination of the Cape Cod Canal flowing into Buzzards Bay at 6-8 knots against a strong late afternoon SW wind can kick up 6+ feet waves with a very short period between each. Nasty stuff in small vessels. You must time your passing through the SW end of the canal very carefully. And of course never overload your boat.
MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I think I know how this sort of thing happens. Bubba buys a 16- or 18-foot boat. Invites a relative or friend out for a ride. But a crowd of relatives and friends show up. Bubba can't say "no", and doesn't fully comprehend the risks. ...
We invited a friend's cousin and husband for a boat ride. They surprised us with showing up with two additional adults and four children! Fortunately, the boat is big enough with just enough PFDs on hand.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
Guru

City: Boston Area
My kids get all kinds of embarassed when I insist on talking to their friends parents before they can go out on someone else's boat, but you can't be too careful and there are a lot of people that just don't know what their doing.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Somebody needs to go to jail for willful reckless endangerment of minors.

Ted
Absolutely!
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
My kids get all kinds of embarassed when I insist on talking to their friends parents before they can go out on someone else's boat, but you can't be too careful and there are a lot of people that just don't know what their doing.
There is nothing in the world worse than losing a child. Parents never recover. Many never can even function normally again. Far better to be cautious than to experience that.

You can't be too careful about knowing who you're entrusting your child to, from day care to other parents to baby sitters. There's enough unavoidable risk, but to expose a child to that which could be avoided is just something I wouldn't want to do. So many of the bad things that happen are because parents were not involved enough.

Mulder always said "Trust No One." Lousy way to live but when it comes to kids, becomes necessary. So many of the tragedies are with people who were trusted.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #15

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
So sad and so stupid. Prayers to the families and the child.

https://wareham-ma.villagesoup.com/p...DailyHeadlines
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Yet when there is talk about basic minimum training and licensing of boat operators, everyone screams blood murder.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #17

City: Cape Cod, MA or Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Her Shine. Newburyport
For the Facebooker this is the local Harbor Masters page.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...80780352005836
Capecodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #18
FF
Guru

"Somebody needs to go to jail for willful reckless endangerment of minors."

What is frightening is not how ignorant some folks are ,,more frightening is they can VOTE!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #19
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I agree with Ted.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #20

City: Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisjs View Post
Yet another example of an inexperienced boater risking other people's lives.
12 people on an 18ft boat overturns in the CC Canal. One child in hospital having been saved unconscious from under vessel. Others fortunate to be alive.

9 kids, 3 adults rescued after boat overturns on Buzzards Bay
18' boat crazy, news reports say a 24' Four Winns...this is how witch hunts begin.

m-mm-55 is offline   Reply With Quote