Old 03-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Latest results:
After compounding with 3M heavy duty rubbing compound and wet sanding with 600 grit paper I found little improvement. I am nervous about sanding any more so I am giving up and hoping the sun can do what I cannot. The new name goes on Saturday.

Thanks to all for the input.

Paul

PCoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
I also tried 600 grit and compound but ended up with a background piece. They can do it solid, patterned, or anything you can imagine, they can do with graphics. Ours was supposed to be solid silver background but the graphics guy did the engine turn on both the background and lettering. Not in love with it and may change it but a lot better than the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes 33  on dry dock 015 (Large).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	28456   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662 (Large).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	28457  

Old 03-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
I also tried 600 grit and compound but ended up with a background piece. They can do it solid, patterned, or anything you can imagine, they can do with graphics. Ours was supposed to be solid silver background but the graphics guy did the engine turn on both the background and lettering. Not in love with it and may change it but a lot better than the original.
It definitely does the job but I can't get the idea past the Admiral.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #24
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCoch View Post
........... I'll try a few things next weekend like bleach, steel wool, razor blade, Magic Eraser even, and report back.
Bleach will do nothing for this. Nothing at all. At least it will do no harm.

Steel wool will leave particles of steel imbedded in the gelcoat and they will begin to rust and will be a never ending problem. Never use steel wool on your boat. If you think you need steel wool buy some bronze wool or use a plastic substitute.

Razor blade? Not unless there's something stuck to the surface. Solvent would be a much better choice.

Magic Eraser? That's a very fine abrasive. Wet sanding would be a better choice.

Someone else posted it, you have an area that was protected from UV rays by the old decal. That part is essentially new, the part not covered by the decal has had years of weathering. The only way to get rid of the "ghost" is to bring the surrounding area back to new condition. Wet sanding is the only way to do this other than repainting.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

So, now my question is, can the surface be treated prior to placing the new decal to protect it from this color leeching?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
Interesting question. I will let the fiberglass gurus jump on on this one. I am on the GB forum and CPES comes up frequently, especially with wood. I used it when redoing some teak flooring in our GB to seal the wood and I have heard it used in blister repair. But I am not sure about fiberglass. I don't think it is a topcoat so Does anyone know if this would work? I would not try it on the boat before testing it on a sample of gel coat from a scrap piece obtained a boatyard.

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote