Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Guru

Boat mattress's are expensive

Has anyone replaced their mattress with something else like form.

Boat bucs are getting a little thin and I need to do something about our master stateroom mattress. Any ideas??

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -

We put 3" thick pad of memory foam on top of our queen-size berth in the aft cabin. It made a HUGE difference in the comfort of the berth. In fact the boat's bed is more comfortable than our bed at home.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 19th of March 2012 12:22:40 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We did the memory foam, closed cell,*as well 15 years ago and the bed is still comfortable.**

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 19th of March 2012 02:08:31 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Guru

RE: Boat mattress's are expensive

We bought ours from Overstock.com and got 4 inch foam with memory foam integrated overlay and they were about $150.00 each. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

My boats mattress is, I believe, made of seat foam, not mattress foam. The PO had a 2" or so foam pad on it. I took the pad off, but put it back on after a night or two on the boat. It's still uncomfortable so I put another pad on top of that one. The problem is, they tend to bunch up.

I'm thinking seriously of having a mattress made but it looks like it will be upwards of $1K.

But, what's a little $$$ for personal comfort?

A thought on memory foam - some folks have complained that it's hot or retains heat. I have memory foam (Tempurpedic) at home and it's great but since the home has AC, any extra heat retention isn't a problem. I think I'll have to do something else on the boat because we're on the hook without AC much of the time when cruising.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Ron's quote is what we got as well. Although, Bess found a queen memory foam knock-off at Sam's Club for about $400. We cut it to shape with a carving knife and we are good to go. I, however, hate memory foam for the reasons Ron mentioned as well. You are in a hole that makes shifting and rolling around a chore.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Guru

The company I talked to was going to charge me for whatever sized mattress it would take to make my two modified "V" cushions and charge an extra $50 for modifying the covers. $50 fo a cover rather than raw foam seems like a great idea to me.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Guru

The problem with our current mattress is that it's too soft and offers little support for my back. Is Tempurpedic the same as memory foam and will it act like a firm mattress.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #9

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight

We went the memory foam route last season and carved it to shape lke Tom did. *We have it at home and love it. No a/c on the boat but the New England summer was not a problem in 2011. Look on line for the best deals.

Rob

37' Sedan
Datenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #10

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46

We took the 3 diamond shaped mattress on our 340 Sea Ray to a local mattress manufacture & they, using the old as a pattern & the base foam, built us a 8 foam mattress with a fancy pillow top. The layer just below the pillow top is memory foam. Short of a high dollar inter spring mattress, you couldnt ask for better. The original mattress was split to access storage & AC under the berth. The new mattress is also split & has caused no discomfort.

Our Kk36 has a nice queen mattress with a 1 memory foam topper. Again, a very comfortable mattress.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

City: Chico
Vessel Name: Terrapin
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship DC

Former owner of our 36' Mainship DC rebuilt the aft bed platform and port cabinets to handle a standard queen. How they got it down there, I don't know. It isn't tapered at the foot and there is a loss of floor space. But the mattress is wonderful!
Rick in the Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
FF
Guru

The best sleeping "foam" is the very heavy urathane and ir sure isnt cheap!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #13
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Ron's quote is what we got as well. Although, Bess found a queen memory foam knock-off at Sam's Club for about $400. We cut it to shape with a carving knife and we are good to go. I, however, hate memory foam for the reasons Ron mentioned as well. You are in a hole that makes shifting and rolling around a chore.
*Ours is actually 12", 8" of tempurpedic and 4" of memory foam on top.* Or that's what the box said that it came in.* It's HUGE.* When ever we give a tour of the boat people just stare in awe.* It's quite funny.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Good grief!

Is this the stuff that made TF great? An in depth discussion of the comfy mattresses from the hardened old salts , the warriors that dared all in the late lamented OTDE. It's not exactly building the Hoover Dam, constructing the Golden Gate Bridge, scaling the Empire State Building, riding with the proverbial sons of the famed Roosevelt Rough Riders.

No, what we have is a discussion between the benifits of memory foam verses heavy urathane and something called 8" tempurpedic.

What next, tea Cosies at ten paces? A lively discussion of the pros and cons of tartan verses pleat.

Boys, man up.

-- Edited by Andy G on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 06:23:17 AM
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
timjet wrote:
The problem with our current mattress is that it's too soft and offers little support for my back. Is Tempurpedic the same as memory foam and will it act like a firm mattress.
*Tempurpedic* is a brand name for memory foam.* For a while, it might have been the only one.* There are many now, but of course, you get what you pay for or at least you don't get more than you pay for.

All Tempurpedic is memory foam but not all memory foam is Tempurpedic.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 06:24:29 AM
Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

On our last boat, we bought*a 100%, 8" latex mattress in*regular firmness and found it was to soft but I got use to it.* It came with a 10 year warranty and cost $1,000.* Hobo came with a*"firm" latex mattress (thanks to the previous owners) and*we love it.* I would do it*again.

We had an innerspring mattress made by HMC, CA.* It was good, but we like the latex better.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #17
Guru

These are the people I talked to:

http://www.originalmattress.com/

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 06:38:16 AM
Old 03-20-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Mr. Andy G. This is quite an important thread and not to be treated lightly. I strongly suspect, myself excluded, that a goodly proportion of the "crusty old salts" are in dire need of a serious amount of BEAUTY SLEEP or they would NOT be as amiable as they appear to be on OTDE. The remainder of said goodly proportion seem to be able to get by on a "fifth".
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #19
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

The previous owner of our boat installed a custom "Handcraft" innerspring mattress. Even my Admiral, who has purchased at least a half-dozen house beds in so many years, is delighted with it. Although I'm not very picky about such things, it may be the most comfortable sleep I've had. Just across from it in the stateroom is another multi-density foam bunk that is also very comfortable, but I noticed that when using it, my arms and hands go to sleep much easier than the rest of me. On hot Florida nights, the foam seems to reflect heat while the innerspring breathes. At least for here in the tropics, I'll take the custom innerspring, but I'll bet it was mucho $$. *Still, if you gotta spend money on a boat, a good sleep goes a long way toward enjoying the experience. *I doubt that even the best radar and chart plotter would be fun without enough shut-eye.

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 07:31:22 AM
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #20
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

One caution on memory foam. We bought a 3" pad a number of years ago and I found I could not sleep on it at all. Or perhaps the term is sleep in it.*

I found that I sank down so deeply that to roll over or make any kind of move in bed I had to climb out of the indentation and reposition myself carefully.

I'm sure that we just had a poor example of memory foam, but it is something to watch out for.*

Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote