Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
RE: Boat mattress's are expensive

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
Still, if you gotta spend money on a boat, a good sleep goes a long way toward enjoying the experience. *I doubt that even the best radar and chart plotter would be fun without enough shut-eye.
So True!!*

We spend every weekend on the boat and since we added a memory foam topper to the custom mattress the PO had made (many years ago), we have slept much better and enjoyed the days spent on the boat much more with not waking up with sore shoulders and hips.* Though I do agree the memory foam can feel like it has a grip on me and is not letting me move!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Conrad wrote:
One caution on memory foam. We bought a 3" pad a number of years ago and I found I could not sleep on it at all. Or perhaps the term is sleep in it.*

I found that I sank down so deeply that to roll over or make any kind of move in bed I had to climb out of the indentation and reposition myself carefully.

I'm sure that we just had a poor example of memory foam, but it is something to watch out for.*

That may be an example of getting what you pay for.* Our genuine Tempurpedic mattress at home is great.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
rwidman wrote:Conrad wrote:
One caution on memory foam. We bought a 3" pad a number of years ago and I found I could not sleep on it at all. Or perhaps the term is sleep in it.*

I found that I sank down so deeply that to roll over or make any kind of move in bed I had to climb out of the indentation and reposition myself carefully.

I'm sure that we just had a poor example of memory foam, but it is something to watch out for.*

That may be an example of getting what you pay for.* Our genuine Tempurpedic mattress at home is great.

*I think you're right although it was a high end, I thought, memory pad - not Tempurpedic though.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
Greetings,
Mr. Andy G. This is quite an important thread and not to be treated lightly. I strongly suspect, myself excluded, that a goodly proportion of the "crusty old salts" are in dire need of a serious amount of BEAUTY SLEEP
*RT, *you are quite right I should have*realised that.

To ensure a good nights sleep, I think all outside distractions should be avoided, so I propose that TF be closed down at say 8.00pm each night.Perhaps with some suitable music*and the screen fading to black showing the sun setting on a trawler at anchor(pref. an IG)

The theme from the BBC series 'The Onedin Line' would be perfect.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Greetings,
Mr Andy G. Whilst your suggestion of a 20:00 hrs. shut down does have SOME merit for the aforementioned "goodly portion", you're forgetting about the remainder of said "goodly portion" which I mentioned in my post. Those "others", malcontents, rabble rousers, guttersnipes and alcoho-frolics would be adrift, unable to vent their frustrations and voice their ill conceived notions. Nay Mr. Andy G, let us extend the hand of pity upon the poor souls and allow 24 hr access.
As to a nautical themed music, may I suggest a soothing ballad...

** One of my favorite crooners...
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Andy G wrote:*
To ensure a good nights sleep, I think all outside distractions should be avoided, so I propose that TF be closed down at say 8.00pm each night.Perhaps with some suitable music*and the screen fading to black showing the sun setting on a trawler at anchor(pref. an IG)

*It already shuts down by itself.* There is virtually no "traffic" after 8:00 P.M. PDT/PST.** To my disappointment, I may add.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #27

City: Hampton Bays, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Grand Yankee
Vessel Model: 1981 49' Grand Banks Classic

Has any one removed and replaced a Queen side normal manufactured mattress in the aft cabin of a 49 GB classic model. Plan is to bring in aft port door by sliding and bending off walk way of deck across to where table has been removed then down into aft stateroom. Will that plan work?? Thanks for your input.
Ron T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #28
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Boat mattress's are expensive

Ron,

That's why a mattress designed for a boat is hinged in the middle (on request), making it easier to get into the boat and down to the staterooms.* Wonder if one could hinge an existing mattress?* Check out*http://www.boatbeds.com for details.* No affiliation.

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 07:09:30 PM
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:30 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

I suppose that's one difference between a 35-foot boat and a 42-foot boat: double bed verses queen-sized in the master suite.* (Not a particular disadvantage if one likes to cuddle, however.)

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #30
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
*Those "others", malcontents, rabble rousers, guttersnipes and alcoho-frolics would be adrift, unable to vent their frustrations and voice their ill conceived notions.
*I know, we need OTDE back.

Despite my efforts to hijack this post I notice some dedicated mattress members are ploughing on morosely.

Ebb Tide,the mattress anthem.

-- Edited by Andy G on Wednesday 21st of March 2012 04:18:40 AM
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #31
FF
Guru

On OTDE the discussion would be "since a good nights sleep " is a RIGHT ,

who will be forced to pay for the mattress of your dreams when you purchase it?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:
alcoho-frolics
I have NEVER heard this term and it is PERFECT to describe several of my dock neighbors (and maybe myself ).** LOVE IT.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #33
Guru

For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.*

I'm thinking of putting 1/2 inch plywood on top of the current mattress and foam on top of that provided it is somewhat firm.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #34
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
timjet wrote:
For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.*

I'm thinking of putting 1/2 inch plywood on top of the current mattress and foam on top of that provided it is somewhat firm.

I have a genuine Tempurpedic mattress at home and it is very comfortable and I don't sink in.* I don't know, but I suspect there is more than one layer of foam in the "real" mattresses, perhaps latex foam on the bottom and memory foam on the top.* 8" of memory foam probably wouldn't make a good mattress.

Why not go to a local store that sells Tempurpedic and try one out.* Ask for information on the construction or check the Internet.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 06:09:31 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #35
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'

For you folks that have memory foam or Tempurpedic how firm is it? It sounds from what some of you have said that it's not firm and allows you to sink in somewhat. That would not work for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may as well toss the old foam right out once you put in a piece of plywood. The whole point of a mattress of any kind is to cushion us from the hard surface below and allow our hard spots, hips, shoulders, heads a bit of relief from pressure points so the body weight is spread out more.

The memory foam topper (2-3") simply softens the harder foam and/or mattress below. Yes you will sink in a bit, but that's a bit. You aren't going to disappear. Rolling over is still easily done.

We put the toppers on both our boat V-berth cushions and our trailer mattress and it made a huge difference in comfort and for a whole lot [LOTS] less money than changing everything.
We realize that eventually the actual mattress will have to be changed but it has been a bunch of years now and still going strong.

Don't write them off to quickly. I understand your reluctance as I too was reluctant but not anymore. It was because of the original trial on the boat that we knew what to do about our uncomfortable trailer mattress.

As with anything new it will take a couple or so nights to adjust.

Even our house mattress has a memory foam top as part of the mattress but again it's just the top 2-3". All it does is even out some of the hard spots and as I've gotten older those get more frequent. I too have always liked a harder mattress but after back trouble among a few other aches I like the toppers and definitely sleep better.

Anyway, to each his own way.

-- Edited by C lectric on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 10:02:08 PM
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
C lectric wrote:
You may as well toss the old foam right out once you put in a piece of plywood. The whole point of a mattress of any kind is to cushion us from the hard surface below and allow our hard spots, hips, shoulders, heads a bit of relief from pressure points so the body weight is spread out more.

The memory foam topper (2-3") simply softens the harder foam and/or mattress below. Yes you will sink in a bit, but that's a bit. You aren't going to disappear. Rolling over is still easily done.

*Thanks C electric, I'll go to a store and try one out.* My home mattress is a sleep number bed and I love it. I have it on the hardest setting and wake up with no back pain. That's why I'm concerned about the memory form, I want a firm mattress. However, I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all who commented.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote