Old 11-06-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: A boat for Marin Faure

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Peter B wrote:"Marin, one thing I find I don't really like in a boat, and it's my one criticism of the GB and the IGs, (sorry Walt, Dwatty, Viking, et al), is the step in the sheerline. "
__________________________________________________ ___________
OMG!* Pure heresy!

Sorry Walt, no offense, but looks are very subjective, and I stand by my statement, even though all you say may be true.* Comes back to that Prius debate does it not?* And I see Marin & Eric agree with my feelings on this one.......

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Not so Peter man. I just said it makes the boat look shorter. I'll even it up a bit.
Makes the stepped sheered boat more interesting.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

healhusler,
Please get up on the photo album and tell us more about your interesting boat. It is beautiful (below the sheer line) and visibility must be grand from up there in the wheelhouse. Is it the same hull as the Krogen 39? Actually it's a 36** ..right**** ...what is it?

nomadwilly: *Yes, it is an interesting boat indeed, but iits beauty is typically in the eye of its beholder, for sure. *It is one of about a half-dozen or so Krogen North-Sea Manatees. *I'm not sure where the photo album is, so I'll just do some photos below. *The boat is actually getting some paint now, so the exterior photos you see here are photoshopped with the new stripes. *I've included another standard Manatee example below so you can see the clear difference in pilothouses. *Outside of a different layout in the stateroom and a Yanmar 140 HP instead of the usual Volvo 90 HP, it's pretty much the same as most Manatees. *The shocker is it's handling. *The thing goes so straight that the Auto-Pilot has no work to do. *Windage is not like one would think, and getting hit broadside in the marina isn't something to panic about. *The boat will put you to sleep Until you get a short chop of 3 ft. or so. *Engine almost imperceptible from the helm. *It's a great looper and Bahamas live-aboard.

1, standard Manatee configuration

2. Our North-Sea version

3. Boat deck of sister ship

4-5 Pilothouse interior shots

6. Veranda

-Others, various interior shots

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2231949_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	3389   Click image for larger version

Name:	bucky bow white with red & blue striping.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	3390   Click image for larger version

Name:	2283241_9.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	3391   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966220-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	3392   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966221.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	3393  

Name:	100706125233966222.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	3394   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966212.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	3395   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966213.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	3396   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966215.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	3397   Click image for larger version

Name:	100706125233966217.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	3398  

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Excellent pictures and an excellent boat. Welcome to boating w a full disp hull. I assume the hull is similar to the other DF Krogens. What a bridge! I'm real fussy about visibility and your boat goes to the head of the class on that score. Beautiful inside too. The photo album is on the top of the General Discussion thread. I'd rather the pics were there but I'm sure glad you showed us the Manatee. Wish we had pics of all the TF boats but especially the special or unique ones and the Manatee is.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #25
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
healhustler wrote:-Others, various interior shots
I notice you have a couple of the Ekornes stressless recliners aboard.* How are they working out for you?* I just ordered one for myself.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:15 AM   #26
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Nice uncluttered helm station. I like the single lever controls- much easier especially while operating single screw vsls. 1 hand for helm, 1 for clutch/throttle. Much more intuitive (but then I am a simpleton!).
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #27
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:" I like the single lever controls- much easier especially while operating single screw vsls. 1 hand for helm, 1 for clutch/throttle."
Ditto!

Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Peter B wrote:I must say if I have the dough, the Alaska 42 Europa Sedan would do me fine.* No need for a flybridge they are just to roomy, and you drive them so high and handsome.* Very well put together as well.
I don't see an Alaska 42 on the website.* Their smallest boat seems to be the Alaska 46.* But I don't care for the look of any of them myself.* The big ones are too Euro-yacht looking and the small ones look like knock-off attempts of the Eastbay but they didn't get it quite right.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:03 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

The photo album is on the top of the General Discussion thread. I'd rather the pics were there but I'm sure glad you showed us the Manatee.

Hey Eric: *Yes, I see that now. *I'll prepare the move of the photos over there and delete them above so the thread can stay on track. *Thanks for the welcome and to everyone for the kind remarks about our odd lady.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:37 AM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Marin wrote:I don't see an Alaska 42 on the website.* Their smallest boat seems to be the Alaska 46.* But I don't care for the look of any of them myself.* The big ones are too Euro-yacht looking and the small ones look like knock-off attempts of the Eastbay but they didn't get it quite right.
Yes, it appears to be gone now.* There was a 42, and it looked just like a scaled down version of the 46 sedan.* You're a hard man to impress Marin, but each to his own....

Old 11-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #31
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Lurker;
We have a couple of the Ekornes Stressless in our Saloon. Didn't buy the footstools though, and have regretted that omission. The chairs are great, help make ours the boat dock wanderers like to stop off in.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

A boat for Marin Faure

Quote:
Peter B wrote:You're a hard man to impress Marin, but each to his own....
When it comes to "machine aesthetics," be it a boat, vehicle, railroad locomotive, airplane, you name it, I have very specific--- and very few--- design elements I like in each category.* Everything else I either don't like or ignore.* I also put perhaps a greater emphasis on form rather then function than a lot of other people do.* I won't buy something--- be it a computer or a car, or whatever--- unless I like the look of it as well as the features and operation.* But I suspect many, if not most people are like this to a degree.

But when it comes to boats there are very few that I truly like.* Most boats I see today range-- in my opinion--- from uninteresting to downright ugly.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 11:47:28 AM
Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #33
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
A boat for Marin Faure

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Peter B wrote:You're a hard man to impress Marin, but each to his own....
When it comes to "machine aesthetics," be it a boat, vehicle, railroad locomotive, airplane, you name it, I have very specific--- and very few--- design elements I like in each category.* Everything else I either don't like or ignore.* I also put perhaps a greater emphasis on form rather then function than a lot of other people do.* I won't buy something--- be it a computer or a car, or whatever--- unless I like the look of it as well as the features and operation.* But I suspect many, if not most people are like this to a degree.

But when it comes to boats there are very few that I truly like.* Most boats I see today range-- in my opinion--- from uninteresting to downright ugly.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 11:47:28 AM

Here is another of Marin's boats of choice. She's the Lady Washington. I shot this with my point and shoot while Marin had two cameramen aboard the Lady Wa., and one on my boat. You pirate fans might recognize the Lady from Pirates of the Caribbean, although she sported different colors for the movie.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:36:31 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dscn1795.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	3419   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1775.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	3420   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1767.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	3421   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1790.jpg
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	3422   Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn1766.jpg
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	3423  

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
A boat for Marin Faure

I dunno. That stepped up poop deck make her look a bit high. Needs an unstepped sheer.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:42:04 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #35
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Lol
Codger2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:

I dunno. That stepped up poop deck make her look a bit high. Needs an unstepped sheer.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:42:04 PM
Your'e right about that. I completely forgot the sheer.*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:31 PM   #37
Scraping Paint

A boat for Marin Faure

Actually I don't find ships/boats like the Lady Washington all that attractive aesthetically. I used her for the film because she (or rather the original Lady Washington) was a contemporary design to Capt. Vancouver's Discovery. The two ships apparently actually met somewhere off the Columbia River. Discovery was three masts where the Lady is two, but she stood in nicely as "Vancouver's ship" for the purposes of the film.

In terms of aesthetics, I don't feel that things have to be all swoopy and smooth to be good looking.* But if they're not, they need to be all angles and corners in the right way.** THIS is what I consider to be great aesthetics for this type of machine.** This shot was taken during another film shoot, but while I could tell the railroad what I wanted them to do with it I couldn't persuade them to let me drive it although I gave it a good*try.* It was brand new so they probalby didn't want to risk having me scratch it.*

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 05:39:03 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bnsf.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	3425  
Old 11-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
BaltimoreLurker wrote:
I notice you have a couple of the Ekornes stressless recliners aboard.* How are they working out for you?* I just ordered one for myself.
Quote:
Quote:
Lurker: *Can't exactly say yet. *I don't have enough hours in them to have an opinion, but I for sure, I can't decide which of them is the most comfortable. *We've got one for him and one for her, but in my studies of cruising, it is one of the items on the "most needed" list by experienced cruisers. *By the way I'm also a Baltimoron.
Quote:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2214691_2.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	3426   Click image for larger version

Name:	2214691_3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	3427  
Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Quote:
I also agree. *And while my taste in boats is subject to my romance with their lines, I seem to compromise on the looks before practicality, which is evident in my boat selection. *But, I have also been a researcher and restorer of some of the ugliest machines ever built. *The thought that I could make people love my beautifully ugly (but practical) restorations somehow spilled over into boatdom, but I also find Marin's statement very true....that "most" boats today are just blasť bars of the same, boring soap. *And when it comes to ugly, I'll settle for ugly and old before ugly and new.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Well, I personally relate to the concept of 'form following function'. In other words it has to look the business. The shape describing what it does, and with clearly nothing about it purely for 'looks', at the same time there is a certain beauty in something where the form explains the function. On the other hand I also like symmetry, so I doubt I could live with one of those boats like Beneteau & some others make, where for example, one side deck is narrower than the other just to make more room in the saloon. Yechk...!