Boat Maneuvering with Separate throttle and Shift

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pukeanddie

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Mooncusser
Vessel Make
Rosborough RF28
I have a single screw diesel trawler. It's a small trawler, but it has a lot of windage and maneuvering is always tricky. I've had the boat for about 8 years and I'm getting the hang of it, but one thing continues to mix me up, and that is the way the throttle and gear shifting work.

There's two levers on my boat. One for the throttle, and one for the transmission. The throttle does not have a stop. I shut my engine down by just pulling the throttle all the way back. I can't shift unless I keep it at 1100 rpm or less. So in tricky docking situations, it's really mentally taxing. For example, if I'm approaching a dock and I want to stop way I have to pull back to idle, shift to REVERSE, then push FORWARD on the throttle to apply force BACKWARD. If I want to stop going BACKWARD I then have to pull the throttle Backward to find idle so I can then shift to FORWARD where all the throttle mapping is then reversed. If I'm shifting in and out of gears adjusting thrust around a busy marina in dicey situations this configuration really makes me sweat.

Does anyone else have such a setup? Is there a trick to mastering this?

Other than pulling back on the throttle to shut down the engine, it all appears normal to me. I do the same X2 since I have 2 engines; 2 throttles and 2 gear levers.

Can you rig it up so your shutdown is not the throttle lever? That would make it simpler.

I too have single screw with two levers, but with throttle on the idle stop it is 500rpm and a good place to shift. Shutdown is elsewhere. My tranny has a one sec delay in engagement, so by the time I get my hand on the throttle clutch has grabbed. Works for me.

You could switch to a single lever control, but you would have to put a stop on your throttle linkage at your desired idle speed. I have single lever controls on both boats and they work very nicely.

How about if on the way in to the docking, set the throttle at 900 rpm or so in neutral and leave it alone. Vary the length of time in fwd or reverse as necessary to move where you want. Be sure to pause in neutral a couple seconds between fwd and rev.

Last edited:
How about if on the way in to the docking, set the throttle at 900 rpm in neutral and leave it alone. Vary the length of time in fwd or reverse as necessary to move where you want. Be sure to pause in neutral a couple seconds between fwd and rev.

yes, this is generally my tactic and works great without too much wind and current or the need to spin the boat around quickly. As long as I know I'm not dealing with some abnormal setup I am sure I'll manange.

How about if on the way in to the docking, set the throttle at 900 rpm or so in neutral and leave it alone. Vary the length of time in fwd or reverse as necessary to move where you want. Be sure to pause in neutral a couple seconds between fwd and rev.
That's what I do . I also have an Aqua coupling installed that probably helps with shifting .

Sounds downright crazy to me to have the Shutdown linked in any way to the Throttle.
Makes operating in any difficult situation really scary - change it to a separate switch.

Haha that reminds me of our loaders at the shop you have to pull the pedal towards you to shut them off.

I'd get that checked out, as being able to shut the engines off from the shifter is an accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I'm with the other guys. Your engine should not shut off when you pull the throttle back. Get that fixed.
Leave the throttle at idle and bump in and out of gear as needed.

Better still get a single lever control and make your life a lot easier.

another vote for high quality single lever installed by someone who knows what they are doing. I would never go back to duel levers now that I have used the single.

I agree...separate the shut down from the throttle. Add a shutdown solenoid with a dedicated pushbutton. The low throttle position should then be the low idle.

Or...install a physical limiter into the throttle position so you must lift the limiter to allow the throttle to retard to shutoff...like a two-handed operation. A simple wood block that flips over into the throttle channel to restrict its movement might help.

I agree with those advising to acquire a shut-off button. The governor should be set so the minimum position for the throttle is idle and the maximum position is at top safe engine speed whether in or out of gear.

Thanks. I had no idea the throttle down to shut off was so uncommon. I've definitely shut the engine off by accident when maneuvering - usually from the fly bridge where it is difficult to hear the rpms. I think much of my difficulty is having to think about the rpms as I am shifting vs just pulling the lever back.

I love the idea of using a block as a stop so I don't have to rely on an electricity to stop the engine.

Sorry I haven't read everything above, but incase it hasn't been suggested, keep your hands off the throttle (unless the wind/current is so strong you need the power -- don't use throttle just for speed). That way, when you want to stop making way (of which there will be less anyway), pull into reverse and back to neutral until you have stopped. Once you have mastered the throttle, your brain will easily adapt to the idea of adding throttle then pulling back to idle long before you need to stop making way. It sounds like the way you are driving now is pretty much the way my brother drives his sports car -- if his foot isn't on the gas its on the brakes.

When approaching my home berth, I keep the engine at idle with the transmission in neutral except to engage it while making two 90° turns and an occasional forward or reverse thrust.

Better still get a single lever control and make your life a lot easier
X2 :thumb:

With one of these (Morse Control) you would be in heaven.

Attachments

• Morse Comtrol.jpg
    Morse Comtrol.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 92
Try adjusting the shut off first and then try to get experience with single control boats.

Single levers are not all they are cracked up to be.

Some love'en... some hate'em....and many it doesn't matter worth a darn...especially with a single engine boat.

I agree with all the others. Change that.

-Chris

Add another vote for changing the shut off. What you have appears dangerous to me. I can just imagine you are pulling into a slip with a following wind, it is now time to put the engine in reverse so you throttle down to change gears from forward to reverse and instead you shut off the engine. Change the shut off.

Thanks. I had no idea the throttle down to shut off was so uncommon. I've definitely shut the engine off by accident when maneuvering - usually from the fly bridge where it is difficult to hear the rpms. I think much of my difficulty is having to think about the rpms as I am shifting vs just pulling the lever back.

I love the idea of using a block as a stop so I don't have to rely on an electricity to stop the engine.

More than likely your throttle cable is misadjusted and that is causing the engine to shut down. Fix that first.

2 lever controls for a single engine boat are common and should not be hard to get the hang of once you get your cable adjusted and the engine stops stalling out.

Is this DESIGNED to shut off when the throttle is closed all the way or is your idle speed set so low that it stalls?
Adjusting idle speed on an injection pump is easy if that's the issue.
What engine? or did I miss that?

Is this DESIGNED to shut off when the throttle is closed all the way or is your idle speed set so low that it stalls?
Adjusting idle speed on an injection pump is easy if that's the issue.
What engine? or did I miss that?

I believe its the way the boat was originally setup. I see no evidence if a cutoff switch on either helm station. The engine is a perkins 4.236 with a mechanical govenor injection pump.

I think there is something missing. I have never heard of a shutdown linked to the throttle. That's just dangerous. So you are saying there is no other way to shutdown your motor? I can't believe that for a minute. I would get that squared away ASAP. There should be a fuel cutoff solenoid with a STOP button on the dash.

Maybe your idle is just set too low, but gosh-golly. That makes no sense that you don't have a stop button. :-(

Can you give us some motor pictures around your injector pump?

Do you have a key? Typically the shut down solenoid is mechanically open (electrically closed) when the key is turned on to the run position. Maybe someone pulled the plunger and spring instead of replacing the solenoid.

I know that on some sailboat applications of Perkins engines it's not a solenoid but a pull cable that kills the engine.

Bob

I know that on some sailboat applications of Perkins engines it's not a solenoid but a pull cable that kills the engine.

Bob

Oh yea... Forgot about that. Old blow-boat friend had that mechanism. VERY reliable :)

I think there is something missing. I have never heard of a shutdown linked to the throttle. That's just dangerous. So you are saying there is no other way to shutdown your motor? I can't believe that for a minute. I would get that squared away ASAP. There should be a fuel cutoff solenoid with a STOP button on the dash.

Maybe your idle is just set too low, but gosh-golly. That makes no sense that you don't have a stop button. :-(

Can you give us some motor pictures around your injector pump?

I attached a photo, which I just happen to have on my phone.

YHKkHIsL6jneI-FnEgAI2WsYPzTCgGwLjHzs9Cczbr8=w386-h514-no

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOCU8hNDD_IrmDNiiYBMBMo4SyYae7nt65BIRX2

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a lever on top of the CAV pump where you can put a pull cable for shutdown. If it has an electrical shut down, there is a solenoid that sticks out at a slight angle. It is pretty obvious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom