Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I agree with all the others. Change that.

-Chris
Add another vote for changing the shut off. What you have appears dangerous to me. I can just imagine you are pulling into a slip with a following wind, it is now time to put the engine in reverse so you throttle down to change gears from forward to reverse and instead you shut off the engine. Change the shut off.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by pukeanddie View Post
Thanks. I had no idea the throttle down to shut off was so uncommon. I've definitely shut the engine off by accident when maneuvering - usually from the fly bridge where it is difficult to hear the rpms. I think much of my difficulty is having to think about the rpms as I am shifting vs just pulling the lever back.

I love the idea of using a block as a stop so I don't have to rely on an electricity to stop the engine.
More than likely your throttle cable is misadjusted and that is causing the engine to shut down. Fix that first.

2 lever controls for a single engine boat are common and should not be hard to get the hang of once you get your cable adjusted and the engine stops stalling out.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #23
Guru

Is this DESIGNED to shut off when the throttle is closed all the way or is your idle speed set so low that it stalls?
Adjusting idle speed on an injection pump is easy if that's the issue.
What engine? or did I miss that?
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Mooncusser
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Is this DESIGNED to shut off when the throttle is closed all the way or is your idle speed set so low that it stalls?
Adjusting idle speed on an injection pump is easy if that's the issue.
What engine? or did I miss that?
I believe its the way the boat was originally setup. I see no evidence if a cutoff switch on either helm station. The engine is a perkins 4.236 with a mechanical govenor injection pump.
pukeanddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I think there is something missing. I have never heard of a shutdown linked to the throttle. That's just dangerous. So you are saying there is no other way to shutdown your motor? I can't believe that for a minute. I would get that squared away ASAP. There should be a fuel cutoff solenoid with a STOP button on the dash.

Maybe your idle is just set too low, but gosh-golly. That makes no sense that you don't have a stop button. :-(

Can you give us some motor pictures around your injector pump?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #26
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Do you have a key? Typically the shut down solenoid is mechanically open (electrically closed) when the key is turned on to the run position. Maybe someone pulled the plunger and spring instead of replacing the solenoid.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #27
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
I know that on some sailboat applications of Perkins engines it's not a solenoid but a pull cable that kills the engine.

Bob
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
I know that on some sailboat applications of Perkins engines it's not a solenoid but a pull cable that kills the engine.

Bob
Oh yea... Forgot about that. Old blow-boat friend had that mechanism. VERY reliable
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I think there is something missing. I have never heard of a shutdown linked to the throttle. That's just dangerous. So you are saying there is no other way to shutdown your motor? I can't believe that for a minute. I would get that squared away ASAP. There should be a fuel cutoff solenoid with a STOP button on the dash.

Maybe your idle is just set too low, but gosh-golly. That makes no sense that you don't have a stop button. :-(

Can you give us some motor pictures around your injector pump?
I attached a photo, which I just happen to have on my phone.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...yYae7nt65BIRX2
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #30
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
There is a lever on top of the CAV pump where you can put a pull cable for shutdown. If it has an electrical shut down, there is a solenoid that sticks out at a slight angle. It is pretty obvious.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #31
Guru

City: gulf coast
Many people over power then need to over power to correct try taking it slow with throttle sel a bit above idle the use shifter only. Be patient.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #32
Guru

I get a 404 error on the pic.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #33
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
pukeanddie, in your original post you said you have had the boat 8 years. If you have not addapted to the dual lever by now you probably never will. Talk to hopcar and get a single lever control. We bought one from him that looks to be excellent quality but unfortunately I have not installed it yet to give you a good reveiw. We have dual stations so it was about $900 if I remember correctly.

One thing I have learned about the boat is that if something makes you uncomfortable or if it will give you more confidence in the boat or your ability to handle the boat is to CHANGE it. Don't just live with it.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
How many COULD adapt to a control system that shut the engine down when throttleling back?

I run a boat that many say is a 26 foot extension of my right hand, I shift and throttle with one hand on a dual control...and I seriously doubt adapting to a shutoff on the throttle would be easy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
How many COULD adapt to a control system that shut the engine down when throttleling back?

I run a boat that many say is a 26 foot extension of my right hand, I shift and throttle with one hand on a dual control...and I seriously doubt adapting to a shutoff on the throttle would be easy.
I agree with that. Wether he changes to a single lever or not the engine shut down needs to be changed regardless. It is dangerous.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #36
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
CAV pump has a stop lever right next to throttle. Rig up a pull cable or string or whatever to use that for shutdown. Some have an electric solenoid on bottom of pump that can either be power to run or power to stop.

Right on top of pump next to shutdown lever is the throttle lever, adjust the stop screw on that to get normal idle speed, for a 236 it will be around 700-800rpm.

It would not be easy to put single lever on this boat, as I understand it is two stations. It takes something like a Panish box or electronics to get two station single lever to work.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
CAV pump has a stop lever right next to throttle. Rig up a pull cable or string or whatever to use that for shutdown. Some have an electric solenoid on bottom of pump that can either be power to run or power to stop.

Right on top of pump next to shutdown lever is the throttle lever, adjust the stop screw on that to get normal idle speed, for a 236 it will be around 700-800rpm.

It would not be easy to put single lever on this boat, as I understand it is two stations. It takes something like a Panish box or electronics to get two station single lever to work.
With Moorse true, but not with Kobelt controls. Hopcar can fix him right up.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:13 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
(I fixed the image link.)

That bellcrank to the right of the long spring is the fuel cut off valve. That spring is holding it in the run position. There's normally a solenoid connected to the other end which pulls that bellcrank to the shutoff position to stop the engine. Sounds like your idle is set too low and you need to replace the solenoid. Not a tough job since you have the other parts in position.

Try it out....start your engine, let it run at idle and go to the ER and reposition the bellcrank. The engine should stop.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:14 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Ok, that shutoff lever seems simple enough, but my problem is going to be making that work at both helm stations. I'm guessing that is why this setup exists in the first place.

I think my plan will be to drill a small hole in both my morse controls and keep a peg on a small chain that I can use to limit throttle arm movement, but easily remove to shut off the engine.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I was on a trip when my solenoid failed. I disconnected it and ran a parachute cord to the bellcrank to activate the fuel shutoff valve. The other end of that cord was run to my fwd ER door where I could access it from the lower helm. When it was time to shut down, I'd just lean over and pull the cord.

You really only need the shutdown at the lower helm. My FB shutdown controls haven't worked since I bought the boat 8 years ago. No big deal to me since I always start and stop from the lower helm.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote