Old 03-14-2019, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Broomfield
Boat lights

My boat is a 43' Tiawanese trawler and after reading the coast guard regs I am a little confused. Do I need a masthead light as well as an anchor and stern light? Should the anchor light be an all around light?

Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Boston Area
https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/navigation/lights/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights-1.gif
Views:	109
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	86414  

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Boston Area
and the all around light has to be at least 1 meter higher than the side lights I believe
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
My boat is a 43' Tiawanese trawler and after reading the coast guard regs I am a little confused. Do I need a masthead light as well as an anchor and stern light? Should the anchor light be an all around light?

The short answer is YES to all of the above AND appropriate red and green sidelights.

Nav Rule 23 page 44 in the Nav Rules covers the requirements for a vessel of your size and type when underway.

Nav Rule 30 covers the requirements for an anchor light of a boat of your type and size. Page 106 in the Nav Rules.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...rK_hc78oyWVM7b

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #5

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
and the all around light has to be at least 1 meter higher than the side lights I believe
In his case the separation of the all-round and the side lights doesn't matter as they would never be shown at the same time.
Stripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Boats underway less than 40’ can substitute a all around ( anchor) light for a masthead steaming light and a stern light.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
Boats underway less than 40 can substitute a all around ( anchor) light for a masthead steaming light and a stern light.
My wife often admonishes me "don't be an a$$)ole"....so I'm trying not to be... but for these subjects... I'd suggest that it's really helpful to cite the rules that support the response. It serves to validate and it encourages the reader to actually go to the rulebook and read the text. An occasional review is probably good for lots of us folks here since we probably don't remember what we had for breakfast yesterday. (Oatmeal, with bananas)
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Post #4.... Rule 23, page 44 of the USCG Navrules online. I didn't verify but would guess it is correct.
At least where it comes from.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco CA
Vessel Name: Voyager
Vessel Model: Universal 39' Europa Trawler
Not to hijack the OP question but which should be on the same switch/circuit and which should be separate. Mine seems not to be wired correctly, and since I'm rewiring the main panel/switches this would be an excellent time to put it right.
warfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago View Post
Your steaming (now called masthead) light must be at least 1m above your side lights, but is only the fwd facing sector. Facing the stern is the other sector. The all round light is optional, but needs to be above the other white lights.
An anchor light is required to be all round, and is required only if you are in a "designated anchorage". Most anchor lights are lonely at the masthead and remain dark while under way.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 PM   #11

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
There seems to be a little confusion here.

The OP's vessel is 43 feet long. As such, it is required to have a forward-facing white masthead or steaming light that is visible through a 225 degree arc and a separate white stern light that is visible for a total arc of 135 degrees centered on the vessel's centerline. ONLY vessels less than 12 meters in length may use an all-round white light for use while underway.

In addition to these two, separate white lights, his vessel likely requires an all-round white anchor light. This can be a masthead light or other light that is hoisted into the rigging or otherwise placed so that it is visible at 2 nm range.

I say "likely requires" because, technically, this anchor light, for the OP's vessel, is only required when anchored OUTSIDE of a designated anchorage. Ref: (g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.

As requested, a definitive reference is provided: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

Refer to page 45 of the PDF for a clear picture of running lights and page 106 for the anchor light.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre602 View Post
I say "likely requires" because, technically, this anchor light, for the OP's vessel, is only required when anchored OUTSIDE of a designated anchorage. Ref: (g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule.....
There are very few "special" anchorages where anchor light and day-sign aren't required. (In the vast San Francisco estuary there is only one: Richardson Bay.) Otherwise, an anchored vessel even in designated "general" anchorages requires appropriate light and day sign.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	86426  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 AM   #13
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I'm a little confused as well. On my 38, I have a white all-around masthead light on my radar mast. It is the highest feature on the boat, about 7' higher than the side lights on flybridge wings. I also have a white stern light on transom, that is visible only if in view of the transom.

When under way, all four are on. At anchor, only the masthead light is on.

I've read various regs, and depending on what you read, the masthead could be all around when running or should be shaded fwd. Not really clear in the verbiage.

I just decided in the confusion boat has better vis to others with masthead all-around. So that is how I roll.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:51 AM   #14
Master and Commander

Do not display the all-around white anchor light unless anchored. The fractional "masthead" light should only be displayed while underway.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #15
Guru

But the rules say an all-around white light under way is either required or permitted??

Depends on what rules you read. Look at an outboard skiff. The white light is all-around.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:00 AM   #16
Master and Commander

Your boat is much larger than a "skiff." A skiff is "any of various types of boats small enough for sailing or rowing by one person."
Old 03-15-2019, 01:18 AM   #17

It can be a bit confusing, because of the terminology. A masthead (steaming) light is almost never located at the location of the mast head (top of the mast). On vessels under about 40 you can use an all-round light as both the masthead (steaming) light and the stern light, and it could be mounted at the location of the mast head. You would use it with the red and green side lights while under way for running lights, or without the side lights at anchor as an anchor light.
On vessels over 40, like the 43 of the OP, the masthead (steaming) light would be mounted above the side lights, but below the all-round light, so it would not be at the mast head (top of the mast) location.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #18
Guru

So where is that clarified in the rules? Many outboards with all-around whites are much more than skiffs, basically in the same size category as my 38. Not intending to argue, simply do not know what is correct for my ride.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
But the rules say an all-around white light under way is either required or permitted??

Depends on what rules you read. Look at an outboard skiff. The white light is all-around.
The white all-round light for a vessel underway can only be used by a vessel under 7 meters that can not attain a speed of over 7 knots. It is a bit confusing because that would be the same light shown by a vessel at anchor.

The rules go on to say sidelights should also be shown when practical, and with the availability of battery operated sidelights there really isnt any reason to not have lights if you regularly operate at night.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:26 AM   #20
Guru

Geez, I am more confused than ever.

Tags
lights