Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #1

City: Princeton
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Nordlund 62
Boat hunting in Seattle area

Hey all, We are flying up to Sitka this june to start checking out SE Alaska....our future cruising grounds. We plan to hold over in Seatlle and do some boat searching.....Does anyone have advise on brokers in that area. I have read a few strings that really drove home the importance of a great broker.....

Thanks, The Clines.

cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cline
We plan to hold over in Seatlle and do some boat searching.....Does anyone have advise on brokers in that area. I have read a few strings that really drove home the importance of a great broker.....
Um; how long you in and what are you looking for?

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:37 PM   #3
Guru

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
For a short stop I think the best idea is to shortlist a few boats from Yachtworld (or whatever) then book inspection times with a broker, probably by phone.

I booked mine via email but it was clear I was traveling from Australia and probably that helped with responses. Only one broker didn't respond to my email. I looked at around a dozen boats in a busy 3 days, and ended up buying one not on the shortlist that a broker suggested.

But I missed seeing a couple as my schedule was too tight to allow additional suggested boats. One of which I really ought to have bought instead of the one I did buy. It was a lot more money but still in budget. It had new tanks and a re-power already done....
Old 02-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I worked with Nancy Rink of AAA Yacht Finders in Anacortes for about 2 years.
Met her as the selling broker on a boat I was looking at and then she became our "scout"..used her as a buyer's representative. Very comfortable process and she was a positive addition to it.
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #5

Duration in Seatle isnt set yet, three days to a week most likely. A re-powered new tanked, Ocean Alaxander 50 Mk I would be great!.....

Although, we are leaning towards less teak ( I would still jum at an Ocean Alaxander), good space (liveaboard ultimately, possibly Sitka), Three staterooms, pilot house, PNW coastal cruiser, neglected over the winters in SE Alaska and cruised for the next seven years in the summers with a goal of following Kevin Sanders to California in the winters (he doesnt know this yet).

The Bayliner, Meridian hits the budget mark, but a '95 Ocean Alexander 52 i saw "sold" was very very nice....budgets are meant to be broken, no?

Thanks, The Clines
Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

KTDTX, thanks! We will look her up. A 52 North Pacific fits the criteria great.......maybe a budget stretch, but beautiful boats.....
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
What I would do is to drive up to Anacortes and go to Bananna Belt's for sale yard.

They have the greatest setup I've ever seen. The boats are on the hard, with a elevated walkway allowing you to go from boat to boat, and see the differences between models side by side.

Nowhere else I've ever seen will allow you to see such a wide variety of large boats in one place, without pressure or hassle.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:40 PM   #8

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
You may wish to consider looking in BC. Make your best deal there and then take 30% off due to the exchange rate on the Canadain dollar. You will need a broker that has a solid history of sales into US. Brian Kell at Grand Yachts in Vancoure does well. Fine print, not associated with Brian. See you in Sitka.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

Great advise and recomenations......Old Deckhand see you in Sitka, we will be up the second week of june...
Old 02-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sidney
Alexander Marine in Seattle have a good crew and if you like the 50 MK I then, even though the 555s don't thrill me, you should take a peek at this MK II as a comparison.
54' OCEAN ALEXANDER 1985 "INSIDE STRAIT" | AM USA

Also, I agree, Anacortes is worth the drive and there are some locals on here that could probably point to a good broker.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

What about a 53 Hatteras? There is one laying Ladysmith BC at Arbutus Coast Yachts that looks very nice {with tons of upgrades}
islandmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:03 AM   #12
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
I'll second Kevin's recommendation, as well as the Seattle area. But do Anacortes first. It may help you decide the layout and specific boat builder you like the most.
We had the fortune of Jeff Merrill representing us and I would highly recommend him as a buyers broker.

Start putting your list together now with needs and wants. It will probable get modified a few times. Best of luck!
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 AM   #13
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
There is no substitute for getting yourself on as many boats as possible. Anacortes and La Conner are close together and there are lots of vessels there. My favourite would be the KK48. There's a 1997 available in Seattle.

Take your time. It's a big decision.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 AM   #14

City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
let me know when you're in town and we can take you fishing or try to show you around if you're not already familiar with the area. Of course, you might have to teach me how to use my boat...
robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham Wa
Vessel Name: Tinka
Vessel Model: Mariner/Helmsman 38
Seattle Boat Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cline View Post
Hey all, We are flying up to Sitka this june to start checking out SE Alaska....our future cruising grounds. We plan to hold over in Seatlle and do some boat searching.....Does anyone have advise on brokers in that area. I have read a few strings that really drove home the importance of a great broker.....

Thanks, The Clines.
I have had excellent experiences with Dan Krier at Marine Service Center. He brokered sale of 2 sail boats for me, one of which he had sold me new, and he helped me to find our present boat. The latter transaction was complicated because the sail boat I had him sell for me was sold to a Canadian buyer, and the trawler he found for us was listed with another broker. Dan worked with us every step of the way to assure we got a fair deal on both selling and buying.

Dan has been at MSC for many years and he has earned his excellent reputation in the Seattle market area. If he finds a boat for you at another brokerage, he knows who to work with to get you the best deal and assure you are treated well. Here is link to their home page:

Yacht Sales | Marine Servicenter

I Cannot recommend him too highly. Good Luck!
Sharpseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #16

All great advise. We are tweaking the list, making arrangements to visit Anacortes.

With regards to the Hatteres, i like the lay out, escpecially the aft state room. Makes fishing a little bit tougher.

The upgrades sounds great. ...I am warry of the 2cyl detroits? all comments/advise/recomendations are welcomed...(What is a rough estimate of re-power costs on these engines?)
Old 02-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Bremerton WA
Vessel Name: Athena
Vessel Model: 41 Roughwater
Yes, Anacortes is a must stop just bought are boat up there last year from Bananna Belt. Cap Santa Marina is like going to a boat show every day of the year
Russ Borman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
There is no substitute for getting yourself on as many boats as possible. Anacortes and La Conner are close together and there are lots of vessels there. My favourite would be the KK48. There's a 1997 available in Seattle.

Take your time. It's a big decision.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Jim, stupid question what is a KK48?
Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
THE BROWN LANTERN ALE HOUSE - MENU

The best Buffalo wings anywhere, including Buffalo.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cline View Post
Jim, stupid question what is a KK48?
Jim, I have the stupid concession here on TF. As such, yours is definitely not a stupid question.

My guess the KK48 referenced is likely this.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broker, seatle, southeast alaska