Old 04-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Boat Domes

So, while here in the Exumas there are many many big yachts. It seems to be the playground for big charter yachts with all the toys, you know, the 100+ things. They have multiple domes on their masts. Sometimes five or six.

However there are also many boats in the 40-70 foot range that also have two or three domes. This is in addition to the radar array. I am thinking maybe the TV (Tracvision) and maybe a SatPhone, Internet?

I have an old outdated TracVision dome that I have never used or even tried to sign up for a service on. In fact I will be asking the the yard to remove it next visit. In the two months here we have been here we have never missed the TV.

So here is the question. If I was looking to upgrade my electronics suite, what the hell is there in these big white domes that I might want?

My immediate plans are Chesapeake, New England, Newfoundland, and a loop. I have a digital TV antennae that gets me the usual local 45-50 TV channels.

So what do I need to "dome?

= foot plus things..
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Dome are like everything else... you know... mine is bigger than yours
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
With streaming internet access often available domestically today, I don't get it either. Like you, I don't need to watch a lot of TV. Streaming Internet is becoming more important to me than broadcast TV video. Of course, more remote anchorages require extended capabilities.

I guess if you're a high dollar charter in a big yacht, you gotta provide EVERYTHING to the customers to ensure their satisfaction.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: One is typically satellite tv and one is typically internet and phone. Most boats with multiple domes go places they don't have wifi access and they must have internet. Now, given that situation, satellite tv is far cheaper than streaming when you're paying satellite broadband rates.

Plus. the larger boats generally have two radars, but their radars are normally open array, not dome.

Now, on the big charter boats, the guests must have internet, phone and television, but the crew needs it too. They get some crazy request suddenly and they have to find and reach resources.

Now, I admit I must have internet, phone and satellite television. How would I watch my Warriors destroy the Blazers tonight. Sorry, guys, you put up a good fight the first three games.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Part of the attraction of boating to me is to "escape." Beyond radar and GPS "domes," I've no need. Am "subject" to more than enough television reception and computer communication at land's home.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:11 AM   #6
Guru

City: Boston Area
well....do you have a problem with seagulls ??

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
well....do you have a problem with seagulls
I was going to agree with Mark on the lack of any real need for domes, but when you put it that way, I'd make an exception for that one.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I would hold off...

Phased array panels are becoming more popular since they have no moving parts and far lower wind resistance compared to domes.

The reason for a dome is to lower the wind drag on a moving antenna inside. If you can assure it does not have to fight the wind load, the servos moving the antenna can be sized to just enough to move the antenna. Plus, they get to work in a dry, salt free environment as well.

Phased array antennas are flat panels that electrically charge sections of the panel to 'bend' the focal point of the antenna, allowing it to steer the antenna beam without moving the panel.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Part of the attraction of boating to me is to "escape." Beyond radar and GPS "domes," I've no need. Am "subject" to more than enough television reception and computer communication at land's home.
We don't really have anything we want to escape from. We're huge sports fans and that makes television a must by itself. However, we also like to just lean back and watch tv at other times. Now, I think frequency of boating plays a role. If we were just doing a day or even a weekend periodically, we might not need as much. But with 2/3 of our time on, we need it.

As to internet, can't live without it. We communicate with friends, but also keep up with what's going on with our business. Plus we like keeping up with the world. And, it also enables us to do things like post here. lol
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Antenna flat panels: Innovations redefining satellite communications
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Also, they sell 'empty' domes for aesthetics. If there is a mast with the radar on the mast head and a dome on one of the wings, they'll sell you an empty dome to install for symmetry.

Raymarine 33STV Satellite TV Empty Antenna Dome
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #12

City: Westport
Vessel Name: L'Eau Vive
Vessel Model: Bayliner
menzies, before you remove the dome, may I suggest you sketch out on a piece of paper what it does and how it connects to your boat. Understand the function and application before you make a decision. Then I would make a list of what you have to have, and what you don't...then go to a maritime communications store and spend a good hour or two there discussing your needs and options.

We did that and here's what we have on our yacht:

KHV Tracvision Sat Dome - for music and the occasional ball game.
WIRI - for wifi when there's no 3g or 4g
Iridium Go - for satellite phone calls, texts and emails (if out of 3g, 4g or Wifi range). Iridium Go is partnered with Predict Wind for weather reports and this works world wide.

This is a very easy system to manage for 2-4 adults, but if you want to stream movies and have kids that spend their entire day on the internet, then you will need a much more expansive array.

Good luck!!!
Lucky Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote