Old 12-09-2018, 09:01 AM   #1

City: Compton
Boat Condensation

Has anyone with a fiberglass boat figured out a good way to prevent the condensation from forming on the inside of the boat in cold weather?
Thanks JD
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
We have two small Caframo heaters set to turn on when temp is down to ~mid forties, and a fairly large dehumidifier, going in our boat in Poulsbo WA through the winter months. When underway summers in BC and SE Alaska in cool weather, a Heatercraft "bus heater" or an Espar diesel heater do the job.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
We use several Davis Air Dryrs (sic) and a couple of space heaters set quite low. I not only want to keep moisture at bay, but want to keep the boat from getting too cold. This is our first "winter" in the water and, so far, so good.

We picked up the big Air Dryers online for much below retail...its worth looking around if you go that route.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
It is the reason dehumidifiers are manufactured and sold.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Heat and air flow. Helps to minimize those activities that add moisture, like boiling spaghetti water.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

City: MN and FL
Vessel Name: Serendipitous
Vessel Model: Mainship 390, Bayliner 3258, Bayliner 4788
We use a de-humidifier, but before that...are there any sources of moisture inside the boat that can be adddressed? Wet bilge?

A (relatively) warm, wet bilge can present quite a large water surface area, and all of that is evaporating into your air. Then, that humidity goes looking for the nearest cold surface where it can condense, in this case it will be the inside surfaces of your fiberglass hull that are exposed to cold outside air.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #7

City: MN and FL
Vessel Name: Serendipitous
Vessel Model: Mainship 390, Bayliner 3258, Bayliner 4788
The Davis Air-Dryrs are just little electric heaters, they do not actually remove moisture from the boat, rather they raise the dewpoint of the air so that the air can hold more moisture. This approach won't work for Pieyed47 because as soon as that moisture-laden air touches a cold surface it will condense again.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

City: Compton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverguy View Post
The Davis Air-Dryrs are just little electric heaters, they do not actually remove moisture from the boat, rather they raise the dewpoint of the air so that the air can hold more moisture. This approach won't work for Pieyed47 because as soon as that moisture-laden air touches a cold surface it will condense again.
Riveguy describes my problem better than I did. ( Pieyed47 because as soon as that moisture-laden air touches a cold surface it will condense again.) has anyone solved this problem? Thanks JD
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieyed47 View Post
Riveguy describes my problem better than I did. ( Pieyed47 because as soon as that moisture-laden air touches a cold surface it will condense again.) has anyone solved this problem? Thanks JD
Limit the production of water; as in, don't live on the boat in the winter, dry the bilge, and limit rain/snow entry.

Run dehumidifiers. But, they want mid 40's or greater temperature. They do add heat as well as removing water.

Insulate the hull. Inside or out. That can take a lot of effort.

Ventilate a lot. But, that usually means the inside of the boat is at ambient temperature. Might be a problem!
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Sounds like I might be better off with a small dehumidifier.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Here
Winter liveaboard, comfortably in Toronto since 1994 (some winters in Bahamas)...... Ventilation, insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Winter Boating.jpg  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
#1) I have never had my girl in Snow.

That said, I do get condensation inside the boat. I was having a real problem with mildew on my sheets along the hull liner. Finally I found a solution.

These were found inside one of those seat cushions that used to be legal in our dinghies. I have found the same stuff (plastic-y foam that bends and is not brittle) atop my solar panels. It is 1/4" thick

I have lined my hull inside all lockers. I also use it under and up the sides where my mattress touched the hull liner. Now, zero mildew through a few years. This stuff works at least in mild weather.

The coldest I've been aboard at anchor was 15 degrees during a cold snap in Georgia. Otherwise, into the 20's in north Florida. Both were pretty miserable -- and I heated with propane at that time (using a catalytic heater)

Anyway, good luck Cap'n JD
Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Consider a good size dehumidifier...like a Danby or similar that has a 30 pint capacity ideally with the feature that lets you run a drain hose into your sink....about $200 and worth every penny.

No mold or condensation, dry bedding and all around comfort.

Also, get a hygrometer (cheap) to monitor humidity levels. research appropriate healthy humidity levels on the web.

Don’t bother with the cheap one pint units. You want the real deal.

Good luck!
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #14
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I run a dehumidifier on mine. Domestic one from the Lowe's home store. About $200, it works wonders. Pees in the aircon sump.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieyed47 View Post
Has anyone with a fiberglass boat figured out a good way to prevent the condensation from forming on the inside of the boat in cold weather?
Thanks JD
Buy a real household style dehumidifier.

Set it at 55% and you will never again get condensation.

I have two on my boat and love them. The boat is dry. It feels dry. after sealing up theengine compartment fpr the winter I put one there as well, and thedifference is remarkable!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #16
DDW
Guru

I've run a dehumidifier on the boat in winter storage 24/7 in a wet climate (PNW). No moisture, no mold, everything smells great in the spring.

But I just wonder why - since this problem is pervasive in both the NW and the SE and even most of the E - doesn't someone solve it? Which is why I started this thread. I'm closing in on doing this.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #17
FF
Guru

No matter what you do , when you dump a gallon of pasta cooking water in the sink, the windows will fog.

The real question is how do you setup so the dripping water doesn't do harm , and condensation not freeze under your mattress?

Heat and fresh air.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #18

City: Rockville, MD.
Vessel Name: Libra
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Trawler
https://www.ebay.com/p/5kw-12v-Diese...d=323549179463
This thing is a real deal. Works great.
Vadim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #19
DDW
Guru

You have to pick between the "ventilate thoroughly and heat" and "dehumidify" options. You can't do both: if you are using a dehumidifier, the boat has to be sealed pretty tightly or you'll be trying to dehumidify the greater cruising area. Which works best depends on the boat, the owner, and the local weather. In sunny and low humidity California ventilation works great. In the SE you are running your air conditioner 24/7 anyway so there isn't a problem. In the humid NE and NW, ventilation works to an extent, if you don't mind the interior of the boat being at 50 degrees. Heating works, but not very well - you end up with 72 deg air at 70% humidity. Hard to keep all the exterior cold surfaces from condensing, and the air feels a bit like a tropical jungle without the breeze.

A dehumidifier is the only thing I've found that works well in a cool humid climate. You can cook a big pot of pasta, it will fog the windows near the galley for a short while, then it all gets taken out again. Reducing the humidity from 70% to 55% makes it much more comfortable as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #20
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
A small dehumidifier works well in an enclosed area. Have had one 24/7 on my smaller boat and makes a HUGE difference. A lot of AC units have a dehumidifying option.

The Trawler just keeps moving and condensation is not an issue.