Boat Cards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boat cards seem kinda silly to me.
But on a related thought I submitted a long time ago that we shouldn't have pics of our boats in the avatar but pics of ourselves. Not our dogs, cats, wives or girlfriends. Just a portrait sized picture of ourselves.
Few bought into it. It must be because this is an internet forum w huge numbers of lurkers. Many members come from those ranks. Most here are in some way hiding from whatever and want to keep their social footprint low. The same force that drives people to have "usernames". Usernames are frequently long and the caps aren't where they are supposed to be ect. Hard to address people by such a name. I frequently have to go back and check for spelling and what's in caps. Troublesome. I wish more people would make up a name like Bob Z.

Anyway the boat cards are kindof an old persom thing and many are not happy about how they look. But personality is a large part of who we are and the personal pics would be a fine change IMO.

And if one needs cards the people (w wife's and girlfriends in this case) should be the focus of the graphics ... people or person big and boat listed or small in a picture.

For years I related to Marin from/via a picture of his boat. Never saw a picture of him ... at least not a decient one. Saw one of his wife and it was a good one, shot through the PH windows but told much about her personality. She was in command and aware.

For years I related to Marin from/via a picture of his boat. Never saw a picture of him ... at least not a decient one. Saw one of his wife and it was a good one, shot through the PH windows but told much about her personality. She was in command and aware.

What you didn't see was that his dog was behind the scenes actually in command.

Greetings,
Mr. NW. "...many are not happy about how they look." Speak for yourself. I look mahvelous!

fccc8411d30e925e45d64ad71692f1f5.jpg

Eric, I know what you mean about the names. But I have a terrible memory so don't remember the names even after I learn them.

I like to see photos of the boats as avatars, because of that memory thing again. Photos of the individual is good as well. I know that Northern Spy looks just like his photo. It helped me recognize him this summer.

Just use good picture fixing software...adjust the contrast and it's perfect.

Eric, I know what you mean about the names. But I have a terrible memory so don't remember the names even after I learn them.

I like to see photos of the boats as avatars, because of that memory thing again. Photos of the individual is good as well. I know that Northern Spy looks just like his photo. It helped me recognize him this summer.

I'd like to think I look more like the babe-magnet 'The Professor".

Maybe that's why I never got a boat card from you...

The only time I've come across boat cards about 10 years ago was at Maple Bay BC at a ChrisCraft convention. No, it hasn't caught on in South Australia either (and we are free settlers). I would consider them useful, as my memory for names has never been good and it's not improving with age. The info can be transferred to a card catalog, phone, laptop database, or papyrus parchment depending on the receiver's preference.

Perhaps the popularity in North America may stem from the hobby of collecting baseball cards. That never made it to Australia either. I'm sure they would be popular in Japan though.

The only time I've come across boat cards about 10 years ago was at Maple Bay BC at a ChrisCraft convention. No, it hasn't caught on in South Australia either (and we are free settlers). I would consider them useful, as my memory for names has never been good and it's not improving with age. The info can be transferred to a card catalog, phone, laptop database, or papyrus parchment depending on the receiver's preference.

Perhaps the popularity in North America may stem from the hobby of collecting baseball cards. That never made it to Australia either. I'm sure they would be popular in Japan though.

Wifey B: I'm thinking the "popularity" in the US is limited to certain types of boats and ages and types of boaters as for everyone who has ten folders full, there seem to be many who haven't seen many. :D

I don't think it has anything to do with collecting baseball cards. It's just a way to meet people and a way to remember their names if you see them later.

As for types of boats, well yes, cruising boats mostly although it's easier to hand someone your boat card than to find pencil and paper and write it down.

Back
Top Bottom