Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #61
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
What is is we're supposed to be discussing again?
The OP buying a cool steel hulled passagemaker with lots of character after which he can give his boss the finger and cruise to Belize with a parrot on his shoulder; or buying a boring old Mainship in which he can compare mooring costs on the internet with a bunch of old farts.

Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #62
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #63
Scraping Paint

City: -
P-A-R-R-O-T, RTF. Not rooster. This guy doesn't look like Belize-in-a-boat material.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #64

City: Pender Island, B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
The OP buying a cool steel hulled passagemaker with lots of character after which he can give his boss the finger and cruise to Belize with a parrot on his shoulder; or buying a boring old Mainship in which he can compare mooring costs on the internet with a bunch of old farts.
Great summary, NS! (I'm glad someone out there is paying attention.)

Whatever boat you get, just remember: Longevity isn't everything!

Major Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #65
Guru

City: Pensacola
RT,

That is a fine looking parrot on your shoulder!
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #66
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
You guys really crack me up....
But I wish I had an autopilot....sorry...back on thread...now what was it...submarines, wasn't it..?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #67
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy

LMAO

Actually, so far it's my DW giving me the finger on the passagemaker. Old farts here I come! Better move over when you see me heading towards the dock!!
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #68
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post

LMAO

Actually, so far it's my DW giving me the finger on the passagemaker. Old farts here I come! Better move over when you see me heading towards the dock!!
Just pointing out the disparity between the choices; dream vs. reality. You should've seen some of the boats I shortlisted and proposed to my family and tried to justify.

But someday...
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #69
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Just pointing out the disparity between the choices; dream vs. reality. You should've seen some of the boats I shortlisted and proposed to my family and tried to justify.

But someday...

Yeah. One day a wild hair up my a## will overcome my naturally cautious nature (lack of adventure?) and I'll "just do it." The only thing holding me back is .... well, me.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #70
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

I daresay if you look at the members of this forum who get the most out of their boating, be it weekend trips in SFO Bay, cruises on the ICW and in the Gulf, river or Great Lakes cruising, cruising the islands and inlets of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes, or boating the waters of Inside Passage in the PNW, BC, and SE Alasksa, you will find that they all have spouses who are equal participants in the experience and get every bit as much out of it.
What Marin says is Spot On!

Take your time looking into many different boats WITH wife! You two need to BOTH be VERY, VERY Pleased with your choice of boat... especially that you say you dislike selling things like boats... and, you want to keep this boat purchased for many years. You two will eventually board a boat that simply thrills you both ! Youíll both recognize that when it happens... kinda gives ya a tingling feeling throughout your body and mind!

As Marin Alludes: You want your wife to love "her" boat soooo much that she is the one who often instigates boat visits for pleasure cruises or simply for maintenance. You get her to a high level of boat appreciation and you together will have great boating times for years! Make it HER boat .

Besides, just think of the fun you will both have in the Master Stateroom! LOL

Word of caution: Be sure to have any boat you may fall in love with checked well by competent marine surveyors and mechanics. If it ainít right to buy... move on... there is another great boat around the next turn!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #71

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
If you are looking at a boat that is a lower price than most of the other boats, similar year and model, there might be a few reasons why it is lower. One is it is a distress sale (or owner has reached reality sale) but more likely it is not in as good condition as the others.
If it is a long distance away ask the seller or his broker to send fresh pictures (with a current newspaper to show the date) of engine room, bilge, under the forward windows the places that show care or lack of....
A local surveyor might be hired to do a walk through for less than the cost of a flight, rental car, hotel etc. The surveyor might also credit some of that inspection cost against a full survey later.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #72
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreLurker View Post
Yeah. One day a wild hair up my a## will overcome my naturally cautious nature (lack of adventure?) and I'll "just do it." The only thing holding me back is .... well, me.
This and Northern Spy's remarks resonate with me. I stand by what I said in post #2 of this thread though. Otherwise I woulda had a very impractical boat dripping with testosterone laced character months ago.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #73
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
This and Northern Spy's remarks resonate with me. I stand by what I said in post #2 of this thread though. Otherwise I woulda had a very impractical boat dripping with testosterone laced character months ago.

Yeah, but some of that "wild hair" will most likely be leaving momma behind.

BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote