Old 11-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Norfolk
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Hudson River Stops

Heading North this Spring and looking for inputs, ideas, past experiences, warnings on marinas and anchorages on the Hudson River. This has probably been asked in the forum before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for via the search.
I'll be cruising around 8Knts STW and plan on making about 30 NM a day.
Heap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heap View Post
Heading North this Spring and looking for inputs, ideas, past experiences, warnings on marinas and anchorages on the Hudson River. This has probably been asked in the forum before, but I couldn't find what I was looking for via the search.
I'll be cruising around 8Knts STW and plan on making about 30 NM a day.
What do yo like to do?
Will there be kids on board?
Plan on staying at sites and seeing the area(s)?

One thing I would get no matter what is an Eldridge guide for 2020 which will give you tides and currents for planning at about $10.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No kids, but I'm pretty immature. No real schedule or constraints except I don't want to spend more than one night in NYC, and would like to limit and spend about a week on the Hudson.
Old 11-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have only done the trip up the Hudson twice, but two spots stood out:

Nyack Boat Club Moorings just north of Tappan Zee- Only $25/night and full use of the club facilities including launch service.

Esopus Creek- Nice protected anchorage just up the creek.

In general I would look for anchorages (if that is what you want) just inside creeks off of the Hudson. More protected, easier to get to shore, and more shore based stuff there.

Garmin/Active Captain is your best source: https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Anchorages or marinas?
If you want to anchor out in NYC, do it behind the Statue of Liberty. There is an Anchorage there that could hold 20+ boats. View of NYC from there at night is breathtaking. I anchored out from there all the way to Waterford (beginning of the Erie canal) and spent a couple or days at Half Moon Bay (Croton on Hudson). Marina was fine and price wise reasonable. Used it as a base for a couple of days of sightseeing trips (NYC & West Point) by rental car.

Won't be back to the boat till beginning of December. Can give you the anchorages then if you want them.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

City: H20
Vessel Name: OLOH
Vessel Model: 60 Jefferson Marquessa Motor Yacht
We have been cruising the Hudson River for years and are happy to answer any specific questions you might have, but here's a primer. Navigation on the river is very straight forward. If you can plan to run with the tides it’s obviously always better. Now that we’re ten knot cruisers we’re more aware of that than in the past but most of the time we just take what we get and will adjust departure times a bit if it makes sense and fits into our plans. Be diligent about keeping watch for debris, particularly if there’s been a recent storm or big rain. Sometimes you’ll cruise the Hudson all day without seeing a stick but as you know, one wayward log can ruin your day.

One other note I mention to first-time Hudson River cruisers with the caveat that you are obviously responsible for your own navigational decisions… if you use your chart carefully, particularly from Manhattan to Haverstraw Bay, especially north of the Tappan Zee Bridge (greens 11-15), you will see that you shouldn't feel compelled to exclusively stay in the channel. As you’ll see on your chart, there are many parts of this stretch where there is deep water nearly from shore to shore and the channel in this area primarily need only be respected by large (shipping) vessels. We typically plot our route through this stretch as efficiently as possible, which often puts us in the channel, but occasionally takes us out. Not only does it clip a couple of miles off but it keeps you away from the big ships and, in some spots, closer to the beauty of the shore line.

We usually don't stop between New York City (stay at Liberty Landing in Jersey City) and Haverstraw Bay (32 nm) so our thoughts on places to stay (mostly marinas) based on experience begin there, If you prefer marinas, Half Moon Bay in Croton is probably the nicest spot to tie up in the Haverstraw Bay area and an easy walk into town. We haven’t stayed there in many years and never on OLOH but it still gets great reviews. We have stayed at Haverstraw Marina on the western shore many times but really don’t like it. It’s enormous and run down and, in our experience, poorly run. It has a nice restaurant onsite that’s decent enough with a great view of the river but we really only stay there now if we have to as a utility stop. Safe Harbor just acquired them this past week so it will be one to watch moving forward. If you like to anchor, the Croton Point anchorage just by Half Moon Bay is very well-liked unless a good west or northwest wind is blowing.

The next stretch of the Hudson is, in our opinion, one of the most spectacular as you wind through Bear Mountain and by West Point. There's an anchorage near the Bear Mountain Bridge mentioned on Active Captain that might be a nice spot to throw the hook for lunch in a beautiful spot.

The next easy marina to stop at 29 nm from Haverstraw is Shadows in Poughkeepsie on the east side. It’s right on the river and can rock a bit depending on conditions and how busy the river is, but it’s easy in and out if you tie up at the face dock on the outside of their basin (the current is wicked inside). Captain Keith who runs the place is a nice/interesting guy and he’ll even stop to get you breakfast sandwiches on his way in in the morning if you want. There’s a good restaurant on property but that’s it. Good stop if you plan to go to the Culinary Institute or any of the other many land-based sights in the area. Before reaching Poughkeepsie you will pass Marlboro and Newburgh. We have never stayed at the Marlboro Yacht Club so can’t comment on it other than to say that boaters we have met from there are nice. As far as Newburgh, we personally prefer Shadows to staying there.

26 nm from there and worth the stop in the Rondout Creek in Kingston. It is the first totally protected place to stay off the river as you head north. Our first choice there is the docks at the Hudson River Maritime Museum. Dock space is limited so they may not have availability but definitely worth a try. It’s right at the foot of a sweet little waterfront town - eat at Ship To Shore or Mariner’s Harbor which are each decent enough choices. If the Museum is full, the next best bet is Rondout Yacht Basin, a bit further up the creek. It’s very nice small town marina with good docks, an excellent little shack of a restaurant and very friendly service, although not in town. But we really like it. Kingston City Marina would be the other option but we opt not to stay there.

An easy twenty miles from there is the well protected Catskill Creek. Catskill Marina is the place to stay closest to the village. There are no services at the marina per sé but, while past it’s glory days before big storms took it out a few years ago, it’s a very pretty spot, there’s a pool and it’s an easy walk to the village of Catskill which is a terrific little river town (eat at the NY Restaurant). It's also a great place to stop for area sights including Frederick Church's Olana and the Thomas Cole House.

When you head north from Catskill the main channel goes up the east side of the river and to the east of an island (Middle Ground Flats) by Hudson. Be sure to transit the west side of the island at least one way if not both (there's plenty of water - just watch your chart). The west side is prettier, there are good spots to anchor if you don't mind the current and a free town dock in Athens, another sweet little town. 16 nm north of Catskill is Donovan’s Shady Harbor Marina (https://myoloh.com/port-of-call-dono...-harbor-marina), our favorite marina on the Hudson and easily the nicest in our opinion. It’s on the river but most boats are respectful of the no wake zone. There’s a good restaurant on-site, a pool, terrific ship's store, full mechanical services and friendly boaters. If you stay there be sure to introduce yourself to the owners, Brian and Kathy Donovan and tell them OLOH sent you.

There’s a great protected anchorage just south and around the bend from Shady. Search Active Captain for Houghtailing Island. While the current doesn’t run as swiftly there as it does in the main channel, there is most certainly current there and everywhere along your way so you may prefer to favor marinas during your river transit.

You didn't mention how far you'd plan on going so I'll stop there (13 miles south of Albany).

We hope that helps at least a bit. And again, please fire off any specific questions you may have - we’re always happy to help.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I spent a couple days at Haverstraw Marina this summer due to a trans issue. Not necessarily the nicest facility out there, but not bad and the management seemed pretty decent to me. Dockage price wasn't too bad either.

For fuel on the hudson, stop at Panco Petroleum on the west shore, just north of Haverstraw Marina. Water was a little skinny getting to their fuel dock, I saw a little under 6 feet I think (can't remember what the tide was at the time, but they're only about 2 feet in that area anyway). Their prices were great though. Paid $3.19 for gas in early August.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wow! Thanks for the responses, especially Cruzer. I know that took some time and thought and was very informative.

We have been cruising the Chesapeake for 6 years as Trawlers and reformed sailors and our rule of thumb is: Four nights at anchor, two nights in a slip. We also try to spend two nights wherever we stop so it doesn't feel so much like work. But that isn't a hard rule. This will be our "retiring from everything" after retiring before so the time pressure is getting out of Canada before the cold comes.

Again, we only want to spend one night in NYC. AC shows the anchorage behind the Statue of Liberty as beautiful but rough because of the traffic. What have others found there? My last time to NYC by boat was on the USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67). We anchored out for four days; no wake issues. So after NYC we can take our time getting up to Troy before deciding "Lake Champlain or Oswego?"

Haverstraw area sounds good as a first stop out of NYC. Whether a marina stay or anchorage depends on weather and location of spousal fronts that day. After that I would like to stop at West Point if only to find out where they keep the flying monkeys. (I am USNA '83) In one of the cruising guides I have read they gave a USMA number to request dockage. Has anyone done that? If not, I'd be interested in opinions of the Foundry Cove anchorage.

After that we will probably look at the marinas Olah mentioned unless weather is really cooperative and we decide to accelerate our northern transit.

Thanks again for the responses. Really good information.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The anchorage behind the Statue of Liberty is rocky and rolly as you note. A better place is slightly to the south and up a little inlet behind S o L State Park. Room for 6-8 boats and much more protected.

Or take a mooring at 79th St Boat Basin and enjoy the city. $30/night is the best deal in NYC. A little rolly during the day but settles down at night. Subway stop is a few blocks east of the marina.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:40 PM   #10

City: Stony Point, NY
Vessel Name: VARKA
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 43 PH
Minisceongo Yacht Club is right around the corner from Haverstraw in a fully protected basin. (Shameless plug for our Marina). We usually have a few transient slips open while members are traveling.

Feel free to book a visit on Dockwa!
AdmiralS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #11
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
The anchorage behind the Statue of Liberty is rocky and rolly as you note. A better place is slightly to the south and up a little inlet behind S o L State Park. Room for 6-8 boats and much more protected.

Or take a mooring at 79th St Boat Basin and enjoy the city. $30/night is the best deal in NYC. A little rolly during the day but settles down at night. Subway stop is a few blocks east of the marina.

David
The 79th St Basin is a little rolly during the day you say? Last May as we passed by the the basin, the boats there were rolling violently, so much so that walking on the docks would have been patently unsafe and never mind aboard a boat. Based on what we saw that day, I would never consider staying there for any reason.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Most of the rock and roll behind the statue is gone after sun down with the greatly reduced traffic. Weather induced seas can be another issue, but anchoring as close to the island blocks much of the boat traffic wave action.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Is that $30 night at 79th St. Basin on a mooring ball?
Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Jeez, I read the thread title and I thought someone had dammed up the Hudson.

My bad!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

LOL. Menzies, you are just not right.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:03 AM   #16
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Well in fairness, I thought it might have frozen over, and was initially concerned about bird ingesting aircraft and safe places to put down.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:07 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Remember the Hudson is a tidal river , most of the flow goes down but much of the current slows or stops as the river floods.

A tide book is wise to carry.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #18

City: Portsmouth, NH
Vessel Name: Irony
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Kingston, NY

We stopped at the Savannah Restaurant for dinner and music. We stayed the night when they closed.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #19
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Although 4 years dated, Larry Zeitlin's Hudson River Guide is still a great resource, and gives you wonderful historical and cultural backdrop as well as detailed anchorage and other info. We typically preferred anchoring ourselves and found Larry's info spot on back then as well as 12 years ago.

http://mvsanderling.net/Blog/wp-cont...River-2015.pdf

The Waterway Guide North is also a great resource.

We loved cruising the Hudson so much we always detoured up there at least as far as Kingston both coming and going to New England in the spring and fall.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:54 PM   #20

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Took the trip up the Hudson in August 2019. Really enjoyed the scenery. Unfortunately we were not to stop in to many places but the ride was well worth it alone. Took on fuel at Haverstraw Marina paid roughly $2.80 a gallon!!
larman is offline   Reply With Quote